I've got the fever for G 8000 Models

Thread: I've got the fever for G 8000 Models

I've got the fever for G 8000 Models

I am brand new to the forum and have enjoyed reading through all the posts. I recall a long time ago wishing I had G-shocks in all sorts of colours, but back before Ebay, and in Calgary, Alberta, you didn't have much choice.

When it came time to buy a new watch, after years of having shiny looking and yet useless fossils and storms, I came across a silver DW 8000, and thought - that is the one for me. I find it to be a lovely hybrid between Metal Gear Solid, '24' and a small dose of bad late 80's cyberpunk. Then I found out that that little grill in the bottom right corner actually lit up and I swooned.

I appreciate the 5600 and the Mudman and the Frogman and the Skyfox, but none of them move me to tears quite like the DW 8000.

I've seen close to a dozen different colourways but I feel like there must be a repository of this information somewhere - a catalog of the existing colourways for this watch. So far:

White - Tokyo Design Project

Yellow - Dakar

Red/Orange

Blue - Metallic

Green - Chartreuse
    Green - Military
    Green - Rastafarian

Silver - Wide release
    Silver - Dakar

Black - Orange face
    Black - Mirror Green LCD
    Black - Wide release

Can anyone help me learn more then I currently am by babel fishing Japanese websites through google? Does anyone else love the DW8000?

Thanks for your help!

Re: I've got the fever for G 8000 Models

It is of course the G-8000, and I think it's one of the best models in production. In fact, the plain grey basic model is actually the G I rate the highest (not necessarily the same thing as 'like the most').

I haven't kept up with all the recent releases, but you may be interested to know the names of some other models:

G-8000B-4VER (black / orange) - Back Flipper
    G-8000C-2VER (turquoise / gey) - Tic Tacker
    G-8000C-3VER (lime / green numerals) - Wall Grabber
    G-8000-4VER (tomato / reverse display) - Wall Runner
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Hello Gobstopper,
    If you've come here looking to curb your enthusiam for the brand, boy are you in the wrong place:-D .

Did you mean the G-8000?
    If so, here's a link to an auction site (yahoo) in japan. It's full of pictures which might make ready reference for you.
    I've also found the Casio China site very useful as that market seem to have a wide variety of models. Actually, a year or so ago it featured some models that appeared to only be available in China (some dw-6900 variants).

Eitherway, welcome to WUS and remember:
    for a fever the only prescription is more G-8000!!

Link to Yahoo:
    http://search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...auccat=0&apg=1

Link to Rastafarian Model: (in case you find yourself in TRENCHTOWN*)
    http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f46485531

Link to Casio China:
    http://www.casio.com.cn/product/wat/g-shock/?childid=

*not to be confused with Churchtown....
    Last edited by Resinbandit; November 7th, 2006 at 02:01.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh yes, I forgot...

Welcome to the forum Gobstopper!
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Oh yes, I forgot...

Welcome to the forum Gobstopper!
    LOL:-D

I also forgot to add Moderator tribe125 is our resident G-8000 guru

Quote Originally Posted by Resinbandit View Post
    LOL:-D

I also forgot to add Moderator tribe125 is our resident G-8000 guru
    Aaargghhhh - don't say that!!! I'll get questions thrown at me left right and centre that I can't answer...

I do think it's a great watch, but as with many other models, it's the basic version I like the best. I have no interest in completing the set!

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Aaargghhhh - don't say that!!! I'll get questions thrown at me left right and centre that I can't answer...

I do think it's a great watch, but as with many other models, it's the basic version I like the best. I have no interest in completing the set!
    LMAO!!
    Feel free to (quickly!) modify the offending posts tribe :-D:-D

I liked the models when they came out; it seems they didn't
    catch on too well. Should have been tough solar (with all those functions)
    imho.

The fact that you owned two (some sort of record for WUS?) at the same time kinda made you a target for my misguided attempt at levelling praise.

So apologies for the undue stress on your PM box tribe125:oops:

:-D

Thanks for the responses,

It's becoming quite clear that there is no satisfying the G-Hunger.
    I had no idea that there were so many. I'm compiling a list thanks to the links you've added with photos, and hopefully once I have that with part numbers, I can rest a bit easier.

Which of the bid services is highly rated for going into the world of yahoo japan auctions?

Would the G-8000 be classified as a Japan mostly watch, or outside of Japan watch?

Are there any sources that consistently preview upcoming releases, or do we always play catch up?

You're welcome Gobstopper.
    When I first dove into the world of G-shock I was a little overwhelmed myself. It's like anything I guess, stare at it long enough, and the problem becomes simpler.

In so far as the status of this model. I believe some variants are available accross all market where casio has a presence. You'll have to check by perhaps having a look at teh casio site that suits your locale. I do notice that China seems to get all models.

There are some Japanese market only models too. I think there's the TDP verision (or was it a lovers collection?). I think too, that whilst the initial release of g-8000 included a green model with negative display, the Japanese model appeared to be a black model with neg display. So this too could have been a japanese market only model. Recently a fresh batch of 8000's were launced.

Personally I can't recomend any third party agents, having not had any personal eperience.:oops: Perhaps some people here can help with this?

In so far as "spyshots' of upcoming models, well the recent re-release of the MUDMAN line saw some preview shots released from Casio itself. Obviously a watch is easier to keep under wraps during testing/development than say, a car .

Hope this helps and someone with experience with bidding agents
    comes to the party.

Thread Information