I've tried, but I can't get rid of the SGW-100

Thread: I've tried, but I can't get rid of the SGW-100

I've tried, but I can't get rid of the SGW-100

I usually keep a watch for a year or so then replace it because it is missing one or two key features. I've been wearing the SGW-100 for about a year and I decided to replace it. I've tried the SPF40 sea pathfinder, various cheaply built Casio Sport watches, and now I have the SGW-200 and SGW-300 incoming for testing. Not hopeful.

The SGW-100 is low price but high-quality, something you don't always see with Casios in the $20-50 range.

However, I'm starting to think the search is a waste of time. The SGW-100 is a great watch for me. It's got almost everything. However, here's what's missing:

-- sunrise/sunset
    -- 24hr CDT (not a huge deal, 60 mins works for me)
    -- regular EL backlight (I find the reverse a bit annoying)
    -- more of a blacked out look. Over time the sliver bezel bothers me a bit.

Sunrise/sunset is a big one for me. I posted awhile back asking on this feature and of course the PAG-240 came up as did the hunting/fishing watches. Unfortunately I just don't like the PAG40 design. The hunting/fishing timers have camo straps I don't like so much and the watches are a bit small.

So, you can see I'm at the horns of a dilemma. I'm very close to giving up the search for awhile, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just means the SGW-100 is as close as I can get to the best watch for me.

Last edited by FreeDiver; March 8th, 2011 at 17:51.
    Go Dortmund!

Re: I've tried, but I can't get rid of the SGW-100

Have you looked at the PRG-240, it has all the features you need...

least obtrusive is the Ti version...

Q-6

Could it be that the watch is perfect but you also enjoy the search. My advice is, don't stop searching for the perfect watch, but keep the SGW-100.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Q-6, apologies, I meant to say in the original post that I have considered the PAG-240 but don't like the design so much. Something about the placement of the mini baro window and the pointers on the bezel. Also, I prefer the black model with strap but the center buttons being bright orange bother me. I like PAG240B with strap, but the accent at top looks yellow in pics. Is it yellow orange?. I realize this is splitting hairs, I guess I'm hoping for a blacked-out JDM version of the PRG-40.

I owned the PAG80 blue model for a year and liked it quite a bit!
    Last edited by FreeDiver; March 8th, 2011 at 17:57.
    Go Dortmund!

Have you considered the Casio PAS400B? It has sunrise/sunset, moon phase, the daylight/darkness for the day is shown on the inner bezel ring. It's a fishing watch so you have fish showing on the display, for the best time to fish, based on the moon phase. No count down timer but 24 hr stopwatch,and 5 daily alarms that can be set to vibrate. It does have a silver bezel ring. $30 at Amazon.

Amazon.com: Casio Men's PAS400B-5V Pathfinder Forester Fishing Moon Phase Watch: Casio: Watches

Oh, I always thought the SGW-100 has 60min STW and 24hr CDT? At least that's what the manual says. I think the PAW-2000 would be the solution to your problem. Only downside I can think of: no snooze alarm.

Greetings, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; March 9th, 2011 at 02:15.
    Cheers
    Sedi

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Sedi,

the manual is right this time: 24h CDT and 60min STW.

Freediver,

I too own the SGW-100 and since a few weeks also the SGW-200. I got the SGW-200 mainly because of its running sensor and enjoy it even more now than the SGW-100. With exception of STW and Rec mode it shows current time in any other mode. Usually I prefer the current time to see in STW, but since the STW mode on this watch is very different to any other casio, I'm fine with it (it shows speed, pace per minute or calories burned instead). The beeps are the loudest and clearest I have heard so far from any casio. The el-backlight is also reversed on this model, so don't be surprised. Like the SGW-100 it runs on a CR2025, which I prefer over any other power souce (except even bigger CR batteries ) EL duration is too short with one second, but fortunately the display is pretty unclutterd and the digits are big, so a quick glance is not a problem. All in all the SGW-200 makes a great EDC watch, it is not ridiculous large, looks sporty but not cheap and its functions are pretty good.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Another thumbs up here on the SGW-200. The MSRP is a little on the high side, but you can frequently find the SGW-200 on sale. Casio did a fine job with the functionality and the pedometer is reasonably accurate for most casual use. The only real thing lacking is the absence of a stride type. You can provide only one type of stride, that being your "jog" stride. It would be great if it accepted a "walk" stride as well, so you can switch between the two types depending on how you're traveling.

Aside from the lack of stride type, the only notable issue I have with the watch is the tendency for the band keeper to slide down. The band surface is a super soft rubber material, and the keeper has no hope of any friction to keep it in place. The band also appears to be proprietary, with no apparent way to remove it. There's a peculiar metal strap underneath, that fits inside a groove, with a pin hole on either end. However, the pins don't respond to any kind of pressure. I tried poking a blunt needle in it, and couldn't get any movement. So, it doesn't look like this is a way to detach it. I'll have to try finding some way of reducing the gap in the keeper, to help it fit tighter.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Thread Information