Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Alden

Thread: Just bought a SGW500H-2BV and a G100-1BV

Just bought a SGW500H-2BV and a G100-1BV

Re: Just bought a SGW500H-2BV and a G100-1BV

Good for you. Enjoy those watches.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Wow, 2 Ana-digi's at 1 time! Enjoy. I have plenty to say why I didn't choose these 2, but don't wanna ruin your fun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by watch_geek2014 View Post
    Wow, 2 Ana-digi's at 1 time! Enjoy. I have plenty to say why I didn't choose these 2, but don't wanna ruin your fun.
    I just cancelled the G100-1BV after reading a slew of bad reviews at Amazon. I need to do more homework before ordering, obviously. So, now I will go back and continue looking at other G-Shocks. Never having owned a G-Shock before I'm a bit lost in the G-Shock ocean.

I just got the SGW500H-2BV and I'm impressed with it. I don't own any G-Shock watches or upper end Casios... this is the first for me.Name:  compasswatch.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  278.5 KB

Name:  compasswatch2.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  273.8 KB
    watch_geek2014 and stbob like this.

It displays sunrise and moonage for my coordinates, as well the compass readings, and temperature.

It also has a stopwatch, countdown timer, and ...

I'll have to look this up, but I'm wondering what "World Time UTC" is. It shows that too.

Also sunset. Forgot that one --

Congrats for the new watch addition! In my humble opinion, the SGW500 is a decent watch with quite a bit of functions. It's basically a cheaper version of the PRG280, and in some extend the PRG550 Protreks. It's also the cheapest analog compass watch available from Casio, the only sub $100 watch using analog hand to indicate North.

With that said, it does have drawbacks. Like the nice huge indices are not lumed! Only the hour and minute hands are weakly lumed. Same time the weak amber LED only illuminate the small digital screen and not the watch face. Making night time use of the watch abysmal. However, issues like these are common amongst most lower end Casio analogs or analog-digitals. Another drawback is the scratch-able acrylic watch crystal. Therefore, some people modded the watch to put in more lume and a better crystal, you can find threads about that right here in WUS.

About the G100, it's a decent G-shock as well. Don't trust reviews in Amazon too much, most are from ignorant buyers. Like some could give 1 star, just because they can't figure out how to use the watch properly. The G100 however is an older version of Casio analog-digital, so it lacks some of the newer functionality of newer analog-digitals, such as auto hands adjustment and timer. One suggestion is the AWGM-100, which is newer and not too much more expensive.
    Last edited by watch_geek2014; August 10th, 2015 at 20:36.

Quote Originally Posted by watch_geek2014 View Post
    Congrats for the new watch addition! In my humble opinion, the SGW500 is a decent watch with quite a bit of functions. It's basically a cheaper version of the PRG280, and in some extent the PRG550 Protreks. It's also the cheapest analog compass watch available from Casio, the only sub $100 watch using analog hand to indicate North.

With that said, it does have drawbacks. Like the nice huge indices are not lumed! Only the hour and minute hands are weakly lumed. Same time the weak amber LED only illuminate the small digital screen and not the watch face. Making night time use of the watch abysmal. However, issues like these are common amongst most lower end Casio analogs or analog-digitals. Another drawback is the scratch-able acrylic watch crystal. Therefore, some people mod the watch to put in more lume and a better crystal, you can find threads about that right here in WUS.

About the G100, it's a decent G-shock as well. Don't trust reviews in Amazon too much, most are from ignorant buyers. Like some could give 1 star, just because they can't figure out how to use the watch properly. The G100 however is an older version of Casio analog-digital, so it lacks some of newer functionality of newer analog-digitals, such as auto hands adjustment and timer. One suggestion is the AWGM-100, which is newer and not too much more expensive.
    1. Yes, I liked it for that very reason, it's basically a less expensive ProTrek watch.

2. I have no interest in moding any watches, but thanks for the information. I find the little digi screen plenty bright in the dark, and I can see the tiny digits without any problem. As for the lume, well, I have never depended on any lume on any watch I ever owned to work long enough in the dark to be of any practical use to me. The only watch I own with bright lume is a Seiko, and even it is too dim after about 15 minutes.

3. Thanks for the recommendation. I will look at the AWGM-100.

sgw 500 is one of best casio,s for its price!

Thread Information