Just how popular are databank watches?

Thread: Just how popular are databank watches?

NSK

Just how popular are databank watches?

My F-91W came today, it's so simple but therein lies its brilliance! I never fail to get a thrill from buying a new watch! I didn't even want to disturb its packaging but I took some photos and now it's on.

Anyway, the genre of retro digital casios made me ponder-just how popular are the databanks today? With mobile phones booming in 1999 onwards, and then laptop mass production increasing, and now iPhones and BBs, their main function is low on the priority list but they do have their style.

So for all of us in our own locations, how many of these do you see worn? In London I am yet to see one :( everyone is analogue it seems ...whatever it is digital watches are superb functional tools and casio rule the roost!

Thanks

Re: Just how popular are databank watches?

I still occasionally see them - mostly the black resin model with the flat or slightly raised number pad. I see G-Shocks and Ironman Timex watches quite a bit. Of course big fancy looking analogs are all over the place too.

But yea, why awkwardly store stuff in your watch when you have what is basically a pocket computer (Android, BB or iPhone)? I still like the look of them though. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a vintage model. When I was younger (in the early or mid 80s) I got the original databank handed down to me from my dad. I should of hung onto it!!!

Right now I'm a big fan of the databank models - but not because of the databank function but because of the overall superior modules that offer some stuff that no other Casios can do. So right now I got these two:
    DB-E30 and DB-37:

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wmt029 View Post
    But yea, why awkwardly store stuff in your watch when you have what is basically a pocket computer (Android, BB or iPhone)?
    Believe it or not, there are instances where simply being seen with your mobile phone is a no-no. Where I'm at for example, local banks are pretty strict about clients bringing out their phones while inside the premises (for security purposes). If I need to remember a bank account number for a certain transaction, my DW-9051 with its databank function certainly comes in handy.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

So for all of us in our own locations, how many of these do you see worn? In London I am yet to see one :( everyone is analogue it seems ...whatever it is digital watches are superb functional tools and casio rule the roost!
    Most people that I know also wear analog watches. In fact, my sister is the only one I know who only wears a digital watch, her Baby G.

I also do like databank watches, especially databank-calculator ones and have one on my wrist everyday. I have DBC 310, DBC 1500, DBX 100, DB 360, DBC 610 (twice) and want to buy same other watches of the same kind. I like all digital watches but these I like best, cause they are taking me back to my childhood when I am wearing them. Even if I am fan of cell phones, on the other side I hate them due to the fact they stole us our good old digital databank/calculator watches which were almost discontinued cause of them.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I like 'em. I don't use them for telephone numbers, though. Like someone else mentioned, it's great for holding other data.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Thread Information