Just my thought (square related)
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Just my thought (square related)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I have been fascinated with wristwatch since i was a kid... 3 years ago the passion just strike back hard and the journey continue.

casio was the brand that i love and i love their affordable time piece... the problem was, most of the people i related with look at watches as a "status symbol",
    so price and the fanciness of the time piece are what they addore.

so i begin to look at the luxury line, and study the background why some people so passionate about them.
    to be honest i'm hugely impressed with these luxury watches and they are a work of art... if i could afford them, i dont see my self not purchasing them.

back to reality, i start to make some analog or mechanical purchases that i thought would give me some idea or feel of those watches.. to be honest thats a wrong move even though i have fun with it.

I'm not a rich guy... i have to work hard as a backbone of my family to earn a living for them and i still got a 5 years old toddler that i'm saving for his education.

i'm not wearing wristwatch as a status symbol... i wear them because i have fun wearing them..
    if i was asked whats my criteria of an ideal wristwatch, would say, dependable, afforable, serviceable and fun!

after seeing those gorgeous mechanical chronographs, fancy vintages, high priced regulated hi accuracy wristwatch, theres one thing for sure i begin to more appreciate.

the humble square g-shock.

for me the basic 5600 and the screwback 5030 series IS the model that always i have a soft spot in my heart.

it has the time keeping features that those "super duper expensive" rich man symbol got and even some more.

imagine a swiss made luxury wristwatch with features like 24hours chronometer,alarm (minute repeater), 24hours of countdown timer, true perpetual calender to 2099, show time,day,date, month at the same time, the accuracy of +2sec/month, 200m water resistant and wont brake when you accidently bump or drop it, no need for regular service and you can see the time in the dark!

now imagine the price tag.

"But g-shock got no soul!, it doesnt have a moving part inside, it has no jewel or precious metal, it doent look luxury/fancy and it wont show that you got money!"

Yeah right! and thats what i precisely love about them! hahaha!

i like the idea of "fly under the radar" look, the replaceable resin and i can change its own battery for under 1 minute.(yes,i'm handy =)

the generic DW-5600e is an Icon and direct descendant of the original G-shock concept. but the idea of putting it back to the original stainless steel case and screwback is brilliant. the reason was i personally once damaging the plastic case lug because i snag the watch.. the stainless case give me some peace of mind.. and i love the feel/look on the wrist.

sorry for the long read guys... its just a personal thought. and no offense to the luxury watch owner or lover.

here's the re-post picts of watch that i trully appreciate and always smile when i put them on my wrist.

have a great day guys..
    Last edited by Iyonk; February 28th, 2014 at 13:26.
    Crater, Kenzirou, konafan and 12 others like this.

Re: Just my thought (square related)

Very true, I share the same feelings when I look at my squares.

an abandoned warehouse with a blue shirt

Mmmmmm... long read indeed. Glad you're happy that's all what counts. Keep it up buddy
    Last edited by Deepsea_dweller; February 28th, 2014 at 08:14.
    Iyonk likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Don't worry about the long read, I enjoyed it! I share your opinion about G-Shock.

Looks like you got the GSET there? Very pretty watches.

I love the 5030 (silver one) especially, it's basically the DW5000 without the resin rot issue.

I really appreciate the squares as well, because I consider them to be the most practical digital watches. I also like that they don't "show off" like some watches (nothing wrong with showing off, I just personally don't want anything I am wearing to become a topic of discussion). They are kind of like an anti-style statement.
    Iyonk likes this.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iyonk and Deepsea_dweller like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    I have been fascinated with wristwatch since i was a kid... 3 years ago the passion just strike back hard and the journey continue.

casio was the brand that i love and i love their affordable time piece... the problem was, most of the people i related with look at watches as a "status symbol",
    so price and the fanciness of the time piece are what they addore.

so i begin to look at the luxury line, and study the background why some people so passionate about them.
    to be honest i'm hugely impressed with these luxury watches and they are a work of art... if i could afford them, i dont see my self not purchasing them.

back to reality, i start to make some analog or mechanical purchases that i thought would give me some idea or feel of those watches.. to be honest thats a wrong move even though i have fun with it.

I'm not a rich guy... i have to work hard as a backbone of my family to earn a living for them and i still got a 5 years old toddler that i'm saving for his education.

i'm not wearing wristwatch as a status symbol... i wear them because i have fun wearing them..
    if i was asked whats my criteria of an ideal wristwatch, would say, dependable, afforable, serviceable and fun!

after seeing those gorgeous mechanical chronographs, fancy vintages, high priced regulated hi accuracy wristwatch, theres one thing for sure i begin to more appreciate.

the humble square g-shock.

for me the basic 5600 and the screwback 5030 series IS the model that always i have a soft spot in my heart.

it has the time keeping features that those "super duper expensive" rich man symbol got and even some more.

imagine a swiss made luxury wristwatch with features like 24hours chronometer,alarm (minute repeater), 24hours of countdown timer, the accuracy of +2sec/month, 200m water resistant and wont brake when you accidently bump or drop it, no need for regular service and you can see the time in the dark!

now imagine the price tag.

"But g-shock got no soul!, it doesnt have a moving part inside, it has no jewel or precious metal, it doent look luxury/fancy and it wont show that you got money!"

Yeah right! and thats what i precisely love about them! hahaha!

i like the idea of "fly under the radar" look, the replaceable resin and i can change its own battery for under 1 minute.(yes,i'm handy =)

the generic DW-5600e is an Icon and direct descendant of the original G-shock concept. but the idea of putting it back to the original stainless steel case and screwback is brilliant. the reason was i personally once damaging the plastic case lug because i snag the watch.. the stainless case give me some peace of mind.. and i love the feel/look on the wrist.

sorry for the long read guys... its just a personal thought. and no offense to the luxury watch owner or lover.

here's the re-post picts of watch that i trully appreciate and always smile when i put them on my wrist.

have a great day guys..
    I own some expensive swiss watches and quite frankly I very seldome use them. I have the same sentiments as you do. That's why I don't have any more expensive watches on my wishlist. I am very much happy and content in knowing that the watch strapped on my wrist can take more beating than i do. I've been a gshock convert since 2006 and am not going back.

Sent from my O+ TABLET using Tapatalk
    Iyonk likes this.
    I am worth more than any item in my watch box.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    ... the generic DW-5600e is an Icon and direct descendant of the original G-shock concept. but the idea of putting it back to the original stainless steel case and screwback is brilliant. the reason was i personally once damaging the plastic case lug because i snag the watch.. the stainless case give me some peace of mind.. and i love the feel/look on the wrist...
    Totally agree.

There should be a standard DW-5000 production G-Shock and it is frustrating there isn't one. We can only hope for it's return in the future.

I doubt that it will happen because the last non anniversary model, the DW-5000SL appears to have been a bit of a disaster for Casio. Those watches didn't seem to sell and were sold off for as little as $57 by Amazon. I may be wrong but I think that would put off dealers from buying and selling a new model like that.

Had they made the 5000SL look like an original and not make it a celebrity endorsed model it may have been a success. I certainly enjoy my SL but wish I picked it up for $57.

Another big issue about expensive mechanical watches is that the servicing will cost way beyond the cost of a DW-5000 on eBay.
    Iyonk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by computer_freak View Post
    Don't worry about the long read, I enjoyed it! I share your opinion about G-Shock.

Looks like you got the GSET there? Very pretty watches.

I love the 5030 (silver one) especially, it's basically the DW5000 without the resin rot issue.
    yes i Got the GSET and i love them... but the one that i use most often (the king of wrist time for me) are the DW-5030c. I love the model so much that i got several for back up.

i'm not afraid that i damage them, they are dependable and durable, but i hate to lost them. thats why the backups would help me relax hehe.

its great to have some back up so i can wear mine with piece of mind.. i replace the original resin since i put them on the carbon 5030D.. and put the super comfy GW-5000 strap and bezel on it and it becomes magic! i love the combo so much and i dont mind the less fancy look.
    dhodesign and Chrisek like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spidercrab View Post
    Totally agree.

There should be a standard DW-5000 production G-Shock and it is frustrating there isn't one. We can only hope for it's return in the future.

I doubt that it will happen because the last non anniversary model, the DW-5000SL appears to have been a bit of a disaster for Casio. Those watches didn't seem to sell and were sold off for as little as $57 by Amazon. I may be wrong but I think that would put off dealers from buying and selling a new model like that.

Had they made the 5000SL look like an original and not make it a celebrity endorsed model it may have been a success. I certainly enjoy my SL but wish I picked it up for $57.

Another big issue about expensive mechanical watches is that the servicing will cost way beyond the cost of a DW-5000 on eBay.

very true! yes, i personally would love to own a spike lee, but had miss the chance.especially at that price!
    I totally understand that square lover might be not plenty in g-shock world.. and may be those are the reason for the GSET price drop... but those who are square lover (original model/anniversarry or screwback fans) are quite loyal to the model.

well,its a classic icon with a relative small size in the G-Shock world which are mostly Extra large, blinggy and hi profile apperiance.

what other people disslike about the square (relative small size,simple features,no gimmick display, classic digit size) are actually the reason i attracted to them hehe.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information