WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Just purchased my first G-Shock - DW5600CS

4K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  mitadoc 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
I have always wanted to have a G-shock,but never did it.I need some idiot-proof watch which is simple to read and use.I have one Casio Edifice and I think they are great value for the money.My other watch is Certina Ds Action Chronograph,but the thoughts of some beautiful Mudman for etc. have always tortured me.
But, I am a man of the questions.So,here they are:

1.The G-shocks set standarts for durability and simplicity of usage,don`t they?

2.Are good the G-shocks with tough solar function or the rechargable battery doesn`t has long life?

3.The WR is set to 20ATM,but I think this is not real diver`s WR with ISO sertification or I am wrong?And can I use the buttons underwater(amateur swimming,not more than 2-3 meters deep)

4.Are they accurate?I read about Casio accuracy in their website and they claim that 15-25sec/month is normal,but my Certina runs +2 sec/month and I can`t imagine quartz watch with such awful accuracy.

5.Does the atomic setting of time work in Europe?

6.They are durable watches.You can throw them,kick them,even drive through them(literally I think),but are the plastic shells really durable and with long life?Or they destroy from the sun and the salty water after 2 years of usage?

7.Can I really get more watch for this money?:-d

Thank you for you attention and future answers.I appreciate you`ve read all of this.

Looking forward you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Thinking to buy G-shock,many questions are waiting

The answers may vary depending on the model you would buy.

#3 ·

All the watches have 20 ATM WR.
I like Mudman ,but recently I saw other models with moon phase,altimeters,barometers and etc....
I haven`t chosen the model yet,I just wanted to know more about the G-shocks.
So?Accuracy,WR,durability?Average conditions?

#4 · (Edited)

OK, some answers. :)

1: Durability: YES, Simplicity of use: Ehhm, depends on model. But the digital standard versions are easy to understand. A 3 hand analog quartz is easier to set up, though

2: The lifetime of the solar battery is finite, but its changable. There are many threads discussing pro and con, try a search. For power hungry applications like atomic reception a solar battery is appearently mandatory

3: Read everything about it here: https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/water-resistance-myth-vs-reality-159142.html

4: The accuracy is depending of your luck. The 20s are worst case, the most Gs do better

5: It works in Romania, so possibly it will work in Bulgaria too (1500km+ from Frankfurt/Germany). Still depends on you environment (WLAN, big buildings, living between high mountains)

6: The rubberish parts of the watch are exchangable. In continental climate they will live longer then 2 years (if youre not using cleaning agents like gasoline or acetone).
The watch body itself is hard plastic and very durable. Some models even are made of stainless steel.

7: When it comes to toughness: no. In bang for the buck and longlivety the Seiko 5 is a contender.

#12 ·

OK, some answers. :)

6: The rubberish parts of the watch are exchangable. In continental climate they will live longer then 2 years (if youre not using cleaning agents like gasoline or acetone).
The watch body itself is hard plastic and very durable. Some models even are made of stainless steel.
So if I ruin the outer shell I can buy new ones?What is the price just for the record?Are they available and easy to find?

#6 ·

Great answers,man!Thank you.I prefer quartz watches,so Seiko 5 is not an option.
I also prefer digits,no hands.
Maybe something like that:
View attachment 400578
The Mudman is a watch with a good feature set. Nothing wrong with it.
Are you prefer large or smaller watches?

#7 ·

Well,I like both types.But if it will be a G-shock,let it be a big one!
There are 2 sub displays under and below the main display with markers form 0 to 60.The upper is green(I see it this way n the image below),the other is red.What are they for?

#8 ·

Well,I like both types.But if it will be a G-shock,let it be a big one!
There are 2 sub displays under and below the main display with markers form 0 to 60.The upper is green(I see it this way n the image below),the other is red.What are they for?
That are progress bars for the stopwatches.
The whole bar is 30min(?) and its filled up while the Stopwatch is running (cycling to start and fill up again then).
Its a hint about the stopwatches are running in all display modes.
BTW: 2x999 h Stopwatches in this model!

If you like a larger model with similar features, check the G-7900!

#9 ·

Yes, G-shocks are really durable and very easy to use. You don't need to replace the battery of solar powered G-shocks. It's really a value for your money especially if you're the kind of person who is always on the go. What particular model are you interested in? Different models have different features and functions.

#11 ·

The GLX-5600 is one of the smallest Gs currently available.
Its a nice one, though. :)

The Gulfman has roughly the same footprint then the Mudman but is/wears somewhat thicker.
Both are wearing larger then the GLX-5600

Check also the GLX-6900, larger then 5600, almost in line with the Gulfman. But with the classic 6900 shape and dedicated light button.

#16 · (Edited)

Thanks,man.Is the rubber soft and comfortable or the plastic material is hard and can be easy torn?
I search the forum little bit and found some threads about quality control problems with Mudmans...Your opinion wanted.

#17 ·

Thanks,man.Is the rubber soft and comfortable or the plastic material is hard and can be easy torn?
I search the forum little bit and found some threads about quality control problems with Mudmans...Your opinion wanted.
My Mudmen are OK after 2-3 years.
BUT: im a collector, my Mudmen are not worn that often.

My opinion:
The button diaphragm is very thin.
Plastic rot is going some 1/10mm per year, depending on the environment (UV light, chemical agents).
The thin diaphragm is more prone to break then a thicker, not moved part of soft plastic.

So for longer lifetime under harsh conditions: Use a model without button diaphragm like 5600, 6900, 7900 etc...
Current models with diaphragms are G(W)-9000/9010 and GX-56

#19 ·

Where can I buy basic DW5600 from?I prefer genuine G-shock,lowest possible price and delivery in EU.
I want this one-clear and beautiful:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Digital clock Strap

The lowest price I have found is nearly $50 with shipping.
Any other suggestions?

#26 ·

Where can I buy basic DW5600 from?I prefer genuine G-shock,lowest possible price and delivery in EU.
I want this one-clear and beautiful:
View attachment 401231
The lowest price I have found is nearly $50 with shipping.
Any other suggestions?
That should be cheap in EU but I guess people in the US normally pay lower than $50. That's a one heck of watch, all the basic functions you will need on a watch, reasonable size and comfort to wear. Go for it!

#24 ·

I will take this one:
View attachment 403019

Is this some kind of limited edition or it`s a normal basic G-shock?
It is a limited edition but they made many of them. Just like any model in a special color. It's not a limited amount it's just a limited time run. I have the very watch. I got it off ebay for about $45 brand new in box. I was very surprised at how cheap it was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.