Just Purchased a PAW-1300-3, is it a good choice?

Thread: Just Purchased a PAW-1300-3, is it a good choice?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Just Purchased a PAW-1300-3, is it a good choice?

I just purchased a Casio PAW-1300-3 on ebay. Im pretty sure its not a fake watch, but are there things i need to know?

Like the battery, solar charging is good, but in my experience solar charging goes VERY slow... And does it really last 5 months with the backlight off? And how long do i need to put my watch in sunlight if i want to charge it? Or is a high powered 900-lumen flashlight also good enough to charge the watch? And i usally carry my watch under my sleeve....

Can you answer the questions and maby give me some more advice?

Thanks.:thanks

Re: Just Purchased a PAW-1300-3, is it a good choice?

Welcome to the forum.

My best advise is to use the charge indicator and go from there. After it is fully charged, I've left mine in a drawer for up to a month and it still reads "H".

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog15 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

My best advise is to use the charge indicator and go from there. After it is fully charged, I've left mine in a drawer for up to a month and it still reads "H".
    "H" means...? full, medium, low?

Sorry im new to the gadget wacthes. I am a gadget collector and just love this watch for its functions, not that i really need them :P
    But this is gonna be my primary watch. I had a phone watch before, that could play music and call people, but its battery life made me sell it.
    So i always wanna wear this until its to old or needs replacement by damage. i guess about 3~5 years that i wanna keep this watch.

and do you have a answer to my other questions, or maby someone else? :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    "H" means...? full, medium, low?

Sorry im new to the gadget wacthes. I am a gadget collector and just love this watch for its functions, not that i really need them :P
    But this is gonna be my primary watch. I had a phone watch before, that could play music and call people, but its battery life made me sell it.
    So i always wanna wear this until its to old or needs replacement by damage. i guess about 3~5 years that i wanna keep this watch.

and do you have a answer to my other questions, or maby someone else? :)
    "H" is high or full charge. The watch has a indicator that tells you the charge level - L, M, H. There are no easy answers to the rest of your questions because they will depend on you. Again use your indicator to determine if your watch is getting enough light. You can download a manual for module 3070 from Casio and get familiar with the functions before your watch arrives. LINK

All you need to know about solar charging can be summed up in one sentence:

Wear it regulary and don't worry about it.

Trough a regular wear watch will see more than enough light to keep it "high" all the time.

Cheers
    "Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

Quote Originally Posted by duke4c View Post
    All you need to know about solar charging can be summed up in one sentence:

Wear it regulary and don't worry about it.

Trough a regular wear watch will see more than enough light to keep it "high" all the time.

Cheers
    well i am most likely always gonna wear it under my sleeve with an exeption for about 30 days a year, and those days will mostly be in summer. I love to swim and hang out on the beach.
    I guess il find out then.

And it charges by bright light, according to that manual. And i dont really care if the battery is almost dead that i need to put it in bright sunlight for about 3 hours. But i dont wanna do that every month. once in 2 months will be fine.

Also, i live in the Netherlands. I have heard from a ebay seller that it wont work here, since there is a atomic clock tower in germany and UK. I dont live there so it wont work.
    On the other hand, another ebay seller said it would work because the signal travels about 600~1000 miles.
    I am within that range. About 500 miles.

The manual says it also travels alot(the radio signals for time setting)....but ofcource, signals get weaker over distance.....can my watch pick up the signal even if i would live 700 miles away from the tower?
    Last edited by borgqueenx; December 18th, 2009 at 19:32.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    well i am most likely always gonna wear it under my sleeve with an exeption for about 30 days a year, and those days will mostly be in summer. I love to swim and hang out on the beach.
    I guess il find out then.
    ouch, good luck then. i would strongly recommend to put the watch on a window sill facing south whenever you take it off, otherwise you WILL face power issues sooner or later, especially with such a power sucking ABC item as the PRW-1300 is.

And it charges by bright light, according to that manual. And i dont really care if the battery is almost dead that i need to put it in bright sunlight for about 3 hours. But i dont wanna do that every month. once in 2 months will be fine.
    no, it will be not fine. do charge it whenever possible, daylight is unrivaled but artificial light will also work. it takes significant longer than 3 hours to get an almost dead CTL1616 fully charged again, its more like three days. but do yourself a favour and don't let it come down to that, it will increase the lifespan of your accumulator significantly.

Also, i live in the Netherlands. I have heard from a ebay seller that it wont work here, since there is a atomic clock tower in germany and UK. I dont live there so it wont work.
    this seller tells total nonsense, you know radio waves do not tend to stop by country borders

On the other hand, another ebay seller said it would work because the signal travels about 600~1000 miles.
    I am within that range. About 500 miles.
    right, the german transmitter is up for about a 1500 kilometer radius. that means the tiny, little landscape called netherlands, northwest of germany is included

The manual says it also travels alot(the radio signals for time setting)....but ofcource, signals get weaker over distance.....can my watch pick up the signal even if i would live 700 miles away from the tower?
    yes, we have members from australia which can sporadically receive the japanese signal more than 8000km away....

regards, holger
    Last edited by cal..45; December 18th, 2009 at 20:16.
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    ouch, good luck then. i would strongly recommend to put the watch on a window sill facing south whenever you take it off, otherwise you WILL face power issues sooner or later, especially with such a power sucking ABC item as the PRW-1300 is.

no, it will be not fine. do charge it whenever possible, daylight is unrivaled but artificial light will also work. it takes significant longer than 3 hours to get an almost dead CTL1616 fully charged again, its more like three days. but do yourself a favour and don't let it come down to that, it will increase the lifespan of your accumulator significantly.

this seller tells total nonsense, you know radio waves do not tend to stop by country borders

right, the german transmitter is up for about a 1500 kilometer radius. that means the tiny, little landscape called netherlands, northwest of germany is included

yes, we have members from australia which can sporadically receive the japanese signal more than 8000km away....

regards, holger
    My artificial light flashlight gives 900 lumen. Thats enough artificial light i think. When i think about it, i think im wearing short shirts in the summer days so that will be about 5 months a year. Does the watch needs direct light, or will a cloudy day be ok as well? (ofcource it charges slower, or wont it charge at all?)
    so i need to place my watch in direct artificial light sometimes in the dark days, when its cold?

And if the battery is replaceable i dont care about lifespan if it holds 3 years...or it has to be less then 2 years. A new battery costs almost nothing.
    Im glad to know atomic timekeeping will be no problem :)

Thanks for answering all my nooby questions guys :)

EDIT: the artifical light is not a option anymore because it only lasts for 50 minutes then i need to charge the flashlight again.
    i can ofcource use a normal lamp but i hope it will be enough.
    Last edited by borgqueenx; December 18th, 2009 at 20:41.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

while the 900 lumens of you flashlight (PX7?) are impressive for a flashlight, there are nothing compared to that what daylight gives during a nice day in spring/summer. also cloudy days are more than sufficient to charge the CTL1616 only slower. like i said, i would put the watch when not worn on a window sill facing south. even during wintertime there are nice sunny days and to pick up sunrays for 6 hours per day or so shouldn't be much of a problem.

a CTL1616 solar battery will cost you about 15-20 euro. but it is recommended to send the watch for service changing the battery because it is quite tricky to open the case, which will of course lead to additional costs. so in your own interest i really recommend to charge the watch whenever possible.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Just leave it on a window sill when you're not wearing it and it will get enough light to keep the battery charged. I do this with all my 5 solar watches (soon to be 6) and they all show "H" on their battery level indicators.
    Hotel Clerk: Do you have seventeen dollars and a good watch?
    Del: No I don't. I have uh... two dollars... and a Casio.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    BREITLING: Navitimer Cosmonaute D22322 | CASIO: MTG-910DA, MTG-1200B, GW-200-2JF, GW-5000, GW-M5610, GW-9400 | IWC: Mark XVI 3255-01 | OMEGA: Seamaster Professional 2220.5000, Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005 | TAG HEUER: Formula 1 Chronograph CAU1111 | ZENITH: El Primero 1969 Chronomaster 03.2040.400

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information