Just received my AWG101 with pics

Thread: Just received my AWG101 with pics

Just received my AWG101 with pics

Just received my AWG101 yesterday. My last Gshock purchase was in the 80s of a DW5400 which is now in need of a bezel and band. After finding this forum and reading some posts, I've decided to 'rebuild' the 5400 but I wanted something new as well and the AWG101 caught my eye. Next on the list is a Mudman.

Overall, I like the AWG101 and have familiarized myself with its functions. The only issue is that it does not sync well with the auto calibration. I tried all day yesterday manually and let it try to sync automatically last night but I kept getting an error message. I tried again this morning and for some reason, it sync'd.

There are two other design issues I do have - one is that the three circular windows are blocked when the minute hand rotates over them. I use the stopwatch quite a bit and the display is difficult to read when the hands is over that particular window. Lastly, I see no need for the lower/center window that displays where the time signal is coming from. This could simply be placed in another area or signified in some other manner.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the design and function and hope to get as many years from this watch as I did from my DW5400.

Enjoy the pics.

Re: Just received my AWG101 with pics

Welcome to the forum.

You have discovered the essential flaw in all analogue / digital watches... and that is that the digital functions are secondary. If the timer and stopwatch functions are important to you, an ana/digi doesn't really deliver.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Let's break your post down Swimman!

First you said, "My last Gshock purchase was in the 80s"... OK, nothing alarming here.

Then you said, "I wanted something new as well..." OK, I can see the logic in that...

But then you said, "Next on the list is a Mudman." What? You haven't bought a G-Shock since the 1980s and now you have a LIST? Have you told your wife? Would you like me to?

hehehe... LOL.. welcome aboard.. I think we'll be seeing a lot of you Mr. Swimman...

-Gawain
    Orient: Black Mako (FEM65001BW)
    G-Shock: DW9052-2V, DW56RT-1V, G2500-3V, DW-9700UL-9T, DW-003S, DW-003H-9T, G9000-MX4, DW-004, GW-9200RJ-4JF, G-5500SRF
    Seiko: SKX781 Orange Monster, SNK807 Seiko 5, SUN017P1, SNP105 (incoming)
    Tissot: PRC200
    Other: Stuhrling Skeleton (1070.33161)

"Don't wait for the perfect moment, take this moment and make it perfect."
    ---Dr. Simon Atkins

"Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one."
    ---Albert Einstein

"The capper is that, like life, golf is a game that can't be won, only played."
    ---Bagger Vance

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Gawain,
    I think you have it all wrong!!!

My wife actually started this whole watch thing by having this jewelry party at our house and she ended purchasing a watch for about $150. Now, it's a nice fufu watch but worth $150 - I don't think so. Needless to say, during this period of time, our anniversary was getting close and the day she bought the watch I asked her what she 'really' wanted for her anniversary (I hate buying/shopping for gifts). She said nothing but seeing that I just bought this watch, then that's what I want. I said no problem, and suddenly realized I had just started researching current Gshock models and that I wanted the AWG101. She said buy it . I said done.

Well, the Mudman was also on my list so instead of trying to decide which one I told her I was thinking about getting both. As no argument came from her, it's just a matter of time before I add a third G to the collection.

Uh huh... i see.....

Just admit your problem swimman.... it will be easier that way. No need trying to make excuses.... that will just delay the pure joy of the search and conquest in a WIS's (watch idiot sevant) life. We know the signs... and you exhibit all of them.... you will be assimilated!

-Gawain

Quote Originally Posted by swimman View Post
    Gawain,

My wife actually started this whole watch thing by having this jewelry party at our house and she ended purchasing a watch for about $150. Now, it's a nice fufu watch but worth $150 - I don't think so. Needless to say, during this period of time, our anniversary was getting close and the day she bought the watch I asked her what she 'really' wanted for her anniversary (I hate buying/shopping for gifts). She said nothing but seeing that I just bought this watch, then that's what I want. I said no problem, and suddenly realized I had just started researching current Gshock models and that I wanted the AWG101. She said buy it . I said done.

Well, the Mudman was also on my list so instead of trying to decide which one I told her I was thinking about getting both. As no argument came from her, it's just a matter of time before I add a third G to the collection.
    Orient: Black Mako (FEM65001BW)
    G-Shock: DW9052-2V, DW56RT-1V, G2500-3V, DW-9700UL-9T, DW-003S, DW-003H-9T, G9000-MX4, DW-004, GW-9200RJ-4JF, G-5500SRF
    Seiko: SKX781 Orange Monster, SNK807 Seiko 5, SUN017P1, SNP105 (incoming)
    Tissot: PRC200
    Other: Stuhrling Skeleton (1070.33161)

"Don't wait for the perfect moment, take this moment and make it perfect."
    ---Dr. Simon Atkins

"Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one."
    ---Albert Einstein

"The capper is that, like life, golf is a game that can't be won, only played."
    ---Bagger Vance

Congrats on your AWG101. It has a similar face to my GW-1500A. I hope that you find it easier to read than I have. Something about the color/shape of the hands?? I don't know but you do get used to it.
    As far as the hands obscuring the small windows, I have a Bulova Marine Star World Time that has a button when pushed, swings the hands back to the 12:00 position allowing you to see the LCD screens..pretty neat.
    TAGHeuer F1
    TX 500 Series World Time

Sector 330 Chronograph
    Orient Analog/Digital Chrono Alarm Dual Time CVZ00001B
    Reactor Graviton
    Reactor Meltdown Carbon Fiber
    Reactor Photon Chrono
    Seiko Kinetic Sports 100
    Seiko Chronograph Automatic 6139-6002
    Bulova Marine Star World Time 96C
    Bulova Vintage Chronagraph Valjoux 7733 Hirsch strap
    Citizen Eco-Drive AT1095 Chrono
    Citizen Quartz "Wind Surfing" Cal. No.D060
    G-Shock G-3010
    Casio Pathfinder PAG-40
    Casio AMW-320F ana-digi
    Zodiac Sea Ghost Z02404
    Accutron 214 movement

Quote Originally Posted by swimman View Post
    Gawain,

Lol my friend, it is only a matter of time before you're hiding your newest arrivals from the missus

Wife: "never seen that one before, when did you get that?"

You: "oh, i got this one ages ago darling, don't you remember it?"

All the while, mentally kicking yourself for not having kept the brand new purchase hidden for a little longer

Rusty

I really like these new ones.. Good find

Thread Information