Just received my Rangeman..a few basic paranoid questions if I may...
Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By matt_gold
  • 2 Post By JohnQFord
  • 4 Post By Mike K
  • 2 Post By ticktocktime
  • 2 Post By matt_gold
  • 7 Post By Crater

Thread: Just received my Rangeman..a few basic paranoid questions if I may...

Just received my Rangeman..a few basic paranoid questions if I may...

So I just received my new Gshock Rangeman in the mail. Couldn't be happier.
    My previous watch was a Protek SPF-40 Sea Pathfinder with titanium strap. Great watch...but to make a long story short, I got the battery replaced at the local jewellers, and I am guessing a seal wasn't put back properly, because my watch is no longer waterproof.
    So.....bought a Rangeman. But I have to admit, I'm feeling a bit paranoid.

To be clear, given the tough solar power and the battery capacity, there should be NO REASON EVER to open the back and break any seals, correct?

Also, I am nervous about submerging it. I know I know, it's Gshock...but I know that barometers and altimeters are pressure sensitive, is there any chance that submerging the watch could damage the sensors over time?

One more...is there a safe way to clean the sensor grills, or should I never do that?
    JohnQFord likes this.

Re: Just received my Rangeman..a few basic paranoid questions if I may...

Welcome to the forum Matt.

It should be a very long time before you have to replace the solar battery, so you have nothing to worry about. No reason, otherwise [barring catastrophic damage] for you to open the watch.

The sensor is a small aluminum plate behind the grills & it's protected by a plastic insert inside of the grill. Just take due care with a wood or plastic tool to clean the grill.

Ideally, you'd remove the resin to do it but that really shouldn't be necessary unless you think you're pushing grunge in instead of pulling it out ... or you've been in muddy conditions.

Either way, it would take a lot to impair the function of the sensor. Go nuts ... Enjoy your new Rangeman !

p.s As for submerging it, just don't be looking for altitude or a weather forecast under the surface !
    Last edited by JohnQFord; July 22nd, 2015 at 04:14. Reason: ps
    Time4Playnow and Crater like this.
    "watchuseek" ... From a lost indigenous dialect ... meaning ... "Bet you can't buy just one !!!"

Quote Originally Posted by matt_gold View Post
    My previous watch was a Protek SPF-40 Sea Pathfinder with titanium strap. Great watch...but to make a long story short, I got the battery replaced at the local jewellers, and I am guessing a seal wasn't put back properly, because my watch is no longer waterproof.
    Sorry to hear about the problem with the SPF-40 -- depending on how much water got in there, it may still be salvageable! The best thing to do (if it happened recently) is to take the back of the watch off again and let it dry out.

So.....bought a Rangeman. But I have to admit, I'm feeling a bit paranoid.

To be clear, given the tough solar power and the battery capacity, there should be NO REASON EVER to open the back and break any seals, correct?

Also, I am nervous about submerging it. I know I know, it's Gshock...but I know that barometers and altimeters are pressure sensitive, is there any chance that submerging the watch could damage the sensors over time?
    Like every other current G-Shock, the Rangeman should be water resistant to 200 meters, far deeper than any recreational scuba diver will ever go.

With proper care -- as in "keep the rechargeable battery charged to 'high' or at least 'medium'" and "don't park it in a dark drawer for a couple of years" -- the battery should last at least 10 years, and current best guesses are closer to 15 or 20 years. At some point (in 15 or 20 years) that battery will eventually need to be replaced, but that gives you plenty of time to find a local jeweler who's better at making sure the rear seal is replaced correctly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Don't stress it at all...was scuba diving w mine on my last holiday and pressing buttons left right and centre under water. All good!

Just enjoy the watch - it's solid *two thumbs up*
    brvheart and JohnQFord like this.

Thanks a lot, folks. I'm not going to sweat it, then.

I have always hated wearing or using stuff that breaks. Seems like things are getting more fragile, not less.
    I'm also getting REALLY tired of things that we have to plug in and charge every, or every other damn night, like we're babysitters to our electronics.
    Glad it looks like I can treat my 9400 like I treat myself...like a big bag o'rocks! ;)
    JohnQFord and Crater like this.

I'm also getting REALLY tired of things that we have to plug in and charge every, or every other damn night, like we're babysitters to our electronics.
    Don't worry, I'm certain that is only a short technological phase, that will soon be over. And its not so much hassle when we only have to plug ourselves in every night, after transcending to cyborgs.

Really nothing to worry about with Rangeman, it's one of the best g-shocks ever made and I usually don't make absolute statements like that Well tested by others and myself too.

You don't have to be that carefull when cleaning it... Sensor under the bezel is protected with a simple piece of plastic, it's quite funny to see it when you remove the bezel, it just falls out. It covers the sensor, so no worries anything going in.

Also it's safe to put it in water, put mine in relative cold river few weeks ago, here is evindence. It survived

Last edited by Crater; July 22nd, 2015 at 22:31.

Thread Information