Just received my replacement for my old 5600 war horse...5600c

Thread: Just received my replacement for my old 5600 war horse...5600c

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderator Emeritus

Just received my replacement for my old 5600 war horse...5600c

I just received a 5600c (691) from uzj100. It had just received a bezel and strap change and looks incredible. The crystal is in great shape too. Just lovely.

This is THE official watch of underground mining. It seems everyone had one strapped on. That environment was more abusive to a watch than anything you can think of. Underground was the unofficial g-shock testing facility and testing went on 7 days a week for years on end.

This watch is my replacement for a 5600 that froze to death on Porcupine Lake.

Here's some quick pics. If anybody has some neat info on the 5600c 691 module g-shock, or any other older 5000s, 5300s etc, I look forward to your comments. I am rediscovering what a simple practical and tough watch this really is. It may be the most resilient watch in the world.

thanks

Anton

Re: Just received my replacement for my old 5600 war horse...5600c

Great post as usual Tim.

The more I see of these the more I want to return to the old school.

Respect to CASIONERD.

to old school DW5600C

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Anton

I noticed that my 5600c (691) has no serial number on the case back. All the other ones I have seen have a serial number. If anybody with knowledge of these older 5600c could shed some light on this, I would be most grateful.

thanks.

While I bow to the DW-5XXX king Casionerd as his info on these watches

is very informative and he has been a great help in my quest for the DW-5XXX

I think I can answer a few questions

691 was made from 1987-90(or 1991) and was replaced by the 901 module(1991-1996)

691 and 901 are the same module EXCEPT the 691 has a harder to find battery so if you can replace it now and get a new seal and it is good for another ten yrs :)

I think after the DW-5200 series Casio dispensed with the serial number on the case back of the DW-5XXX BUT some of the early 5600C's may have this case back.

I like the 691 module more then the 901 module because it means if I gots a watch with that module it is a true 1980's watch but both are good

In the end Mr Patrick if you are going into the mine again I would suggest a DW-5600E(throw away) as the DW-5600C is starting to get pricy and is a collectors item.

I have mine in a watch box safe from everything

Enjoy your watch
    Cheers
    Leon

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the great info Leon. I'm not into mining anymore. I had a bad motorcycle accident in 2001 which "retired" me from mining and pretty much everything else fun and reckless. I plan to wear the 5600c casually in the summer.

thanks again!!

Oh ok,

That is a nice idea. I really hate to advise to baby a G-Shock but some of them are worth money because most of that model was not babied so there is a shortage of them :)

Good luck with your new friend
    Cheers
    Leon

You might want to try to make head or tail of this site , which seems to have pretty in-depth coverage of the serial numbers and related trivia.

FWIW, my 901 5600C does have a serial number. 80-something or other. A Google search for "DW-5600C-1V" will turn up a few old nuggets of information, although you might have to view the cached version of some of the hits.

Beautiful 5600 Tim.

Kevin

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks very much Kevin ...and thanks again Leon.

I bookmarked that site when you put it up with the other 5600 comparo thread. It's really quite informative...if you spend some time and try and fill in the blanks.

Since the 691 battery is quite hard to find, does anybody know where to find one and have the gaskets redone? I live in Canada and was thinking about the Casio service center in Markham. You Canucks out there, have any of you sent an old g-shock in for the spa treatment to CSC Markham? Anywhere else? I hear Casio salesandservice in California does nice work. Anybody go that route with an old irreplaceable g-shock?

thanks.

I would try Markham as it is better to pay that Grab and Screw Tax (GST) then to wind up paying customs for your own watch when it comes back from Cali :)

Cheers
    Leon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information