Kansas Tornado - Off Topic

Thread: Kansas Tornado - Off Topic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    buddha-g

Kansas Tornado - Off Topic

90% of the world's tornados happen in the United States. 90% of those happen in what is called "Tornado Alley"; an area ranging from west Texas to the Great Lakes and pretty much inluding the entire mid-western US. Kansas is in the heart of "Tornado Alley", so we take these things pretty seriously around here.

Anyway, we had a "small" one plow through this morning. What fun! (Not!) Our back fence is toast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anton

Re: Kansas Tornado - Off Topic

Scary stuff Buddha. There's nothing more terrifying than Mother Nature. Be safe.

so inquiring minds want to know.... did you switch to a riseman just in case it picked you up?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

buddha-g

He he, yeah, so funny. I grabbed my watch chest (and the wife and the dogs) and headed for the basement "storm shelter". In that order. Of course!!

Wink Re: Kansas Tornado - Off Topic

Ha Ha, the Riseman would have given very strange readings. Good thing not much damage. Is the Tornado season over yet? How did the dogs react? I can imagine animals know what is going to happen...

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

buddha-g

This is actually VERY early for tornado season. Although they can happen almost any time of year, typical seasons are Spring and Summer. It has been a very mild winter and way warmer than is "normal" with little snow or rain. Global warming? I don't know, but it's much warmer than when I was growing up. I didn't have a chance to notice the dogs per se, they were running around like always!

Quote Originally Posted by buddha-g
    He he, yeah, so funny. I grabbed my watch chest (and the wife and the dogs) and headed for the basement "storm shelter". In that order. Of course!!
    It's great to see a man who know's his priorities!!! :-D:gold
    Hope you, your family and watches are safe.

That fence was ready to come down with the first small gust front of the season. It looks like it was old and held up by 4" by 4" wooden posts. When you put up a new one, split the cost with your neighbor and make a fence that will last over 15 years with no maintenance. Split the cost 60/40. Whoever pays 60% gets the side without the cross members.

You need to buy 8' metal fence posts. Bury them 32" and cement them. Then buy Simpson strong ties and put three cross rows of pressure treated 2"x4"s. Then buy individual 6" cedar pickets. Put one at one end of your fence about 3" off the ground. Do the same at the other end of the fence. Then put a nail in the top center of each picket and stretch a string between the two about a quarter of an inch above the top of each picket. Then fill in the middle space with pickets. Make sure you're level at about each third picket. Use deck screws, not nails. When you are finished, you will have a fence that costs about 1.5 times as much as the fence you had and will last three times as long. The key to wooden fences is never let any of the wood touch the ground and to use pressure treated pine or regular cedar. You can buy all of the materials at Lowes or Home Depot. Price the cheapest parts at both and then pick the one with the most cheap prices and have them price match the other store's prices on the stuff that cost more.
    Last edited by casionerd; March 13th, 2006 at 04:29.

Hey, really glad that you're safe in Kansas. I live in NE Wisconsin just S of the Bay of Green Bay at what is considered the N end of "Tornado Alley." Right now we're getting the spin off from your storm in the form of heavy sleet and rain.

Stay safe!
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan
    Hey, really glad that you're safe in Kansas. I live in NE Wisconsin just S of the Bay of Green Bay at what is considered the N end of "Tornado Alley." Right now we're getting the spin off from your storm in the form of heavy sleet and rain.

Stay safe!
    I'm in eastern Iowa and we too are getting a lot of nasty rain, hail, and sleet. My wife and I were coming home from a dinner out and had to pull off the Interstate because visabilty was so bad!

I've lived in "Tornado Ally" my entire life and I still really can't get used to the crazy weather paterns. It was 70 and sunny here yesterday. Weird.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information