King G-Shock - not so king after all?
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: King G-Shock - not so king after all?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

King G-Shock - not so king after all?

My Son has been wearing this to school in rotation with his other Casio.

The watch got knocked today, no dent/scratch on the watch but the LCD couldn’t display 1/2 of the numbers.

Do you know if this can be fixed easily by resetting the battery or is the watch a goner?

Kind of shocked as I have many Casio’s (I even still have one from my school day) and this is the first time I got this problem on seemingly well protected case G-Shock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: King G-Shock - not so king after all?

Quote Originally Posted by Fgama View Post
    Do you know if this can be fixed easily by resetting the battery or is the watch a goner?
    I suspect that what has happened is that one of the conductive multi-channel elements that pass the voltage from the printed circuit board to the LCD has become misaligned. I don't have a good picture of them, but they look like a rectangular block of foam or rubber, about 1mm x 2mm x 16mm (or whatever the length of the long side of the screen is), with subtle bands which are the conductive and insulating parts of the block. There is one band for each of the LCD segments. There are two of these blocks, one above the screen (at "12 o'clock") and one below (at "6 o'clock").

If this is the issue, you can solve it by disassembling the module, down to separating the glass LCD from the PCB, and reassembling it with both blocks properly aligned. It's a fiddly task, substantially harder than changing a battery, but if you're reasonably handy you can probably do it with stuff you have lying around. I'm not familiar with how the caseback works on the GX-56, but for a typical G-Shock, you would need these tools:

- a springbar tool, to remove the straps
    - a small, precision phillips screwdriver (I believe size zero) to remove the caseback
    - a needle, for prying the various clips that hold things together
    - also helpful: disposable gloves, to avoid getting oily smudges on the LCD or the crystal (or just clean them afterwards with a microfiber cloth)

One BIG warning: as you disassemble a G-Shock, there may be tiny springs, some the size of a grain of sand, that are prone to flying off and getting lost, so choose your workspace carefully to minimize the chance of losing a spring. It might make sense to work over a blanket with a dense weave, because the springs are less likely to bounce when thy hit it, but won't get lost in its fibers.

Or, contact Casio and see about sending it in for repair.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow, Zack20cb thank you for such a detailed explanation. Very informative and makes a lot of sense!

Still perplexing to imagine that a ‘simple’ knock could caused misalignment of the elements - up to now I always thought that Casio is built to last.

Unfortunately I don’t think I am capable of performing those tasks, as much as I’m tempted to give it a go, and would just bring it to service centre.

Many thanks again for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by zack20cb View Post

I suspect that what has happened is that one of the conductive multi-channel elements that pass the voltage from the printed circuit board to the LCD has become misaligned. I don't have a good picture of them, but they look like a rectangular block of foam or rubber, about 1mm x 2mm x 16mm (or whatever the length of the long side of the screen is), with subtle bands which are the conductive and insulating parts of the block. There is one band for each of the LCD segments. There are two of these blocks, one above the screen (at "12 o'clock") and one below (at "6 o'clock").

If this is the issue, you can solve it by disassembling the module, down to separating the glass LCD from the PCB, and reassembling it with both blocks properly aligned. It's a fiddly task, substantially harder than changing a battery, but if you're reasonably handy you can probably do it with stuff you have lying around. I'm not familiar with how the caseback works on the GX-56, but for a typical G-Shock, you would need these tools:

- a springbar tool, to remove the straps
    - a small, precision phillips screwdriver (I believe size zero) to remove the caseback
    - a needle, for prying the various clips that hold things together
    - also helpful: disposable gloves, to avoid getting oily smudges on the LCD or the crystal (or just clean them afterwards with a microfiber cloth)

One BIG warning: as you disassemble a G-Shock, there may be tiny springs, some the size of a grain of sand, that are prone to flying off and getting lost, so choose your workspace carefully to minimize the chance of losing a spring. It might make sense to work over a blanket with a dense weave, because the springs are less likely to bounce when thy hit it, but won't get lost in its fibers.

Yes, I will give them a visit this weekend. hi Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Or, contact Casio and see about sending it in for repair.

Wow, Zack20cb thank you for such a detailed explanation. Very informative and makes a lot of sense!

Still perplexing to imagine that a ‘simple’ knock could caused misalignment of the elements - up to now I always thought that Casio is built to last.

Unfortunately I don’t think I am capable of performing those tasks, as much as I’m tempted to give it a go, and would just bring it to service centre.

Many thanks again for your reply.
    Happy to help. The way these things are built is really neat.

Yes, I will give them a visit this weekend. hi Thank you.
    If it's under warranty, this is definitely the way to go. I agree that it's a very strange issue to be having, considering the over-the-top excessive padding in the King. Definitely play this up at the Casio center -- even if it's not under warranty, they should at least make a show of being eager to understand exactly what happened, so that it can (hypothetically) feed into design revisions or diagnose a fault in the manufacturing process.
    Last edited by zack20cb; 1 Week Ago at 16:31. Reason: phrasing

Very unusual occurrence. This should not have happened. Send it to Casio with a stern note.

Agree with all comments. Very very curious how? If the watch is not defect. Good choice to let Casio worry about it.

Anything can misbehave but if you decide to take it in kick a big fuss up about “how you expected better”.

uh, what did he do? I once threw my orange King up to 10 feet high, 10 times to show my dad how touch Gshock is, nothing happened to it

it is fixable, but, hard (to me)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information