LCD replacement surgery question

Thread: LCD replacement surgery question

LCD replacement surgery question

I am wondering about the rubber strips that power the LCD. Is there a particular orientation that they should slot in? The long edge on one side has a checkered pattern whereas the other side does not. Does it matter if the edge with the checkered pattern is facing the module or the LCD? Does it matter which strip goes at the top and which at the bottom of the LCD?

Background: Have replaced the LCD on my 1289 DW-6900 with a newer one from a special edition DW-6900MF-1. Installed new battery. LCD doesn't work apart from faintly displaying a couple of lines. When I removed the existing LCD, the strips were attached to it and I peeled them gently off. I cleaned them up with alcohol prior to reinstalling them. With the 1289 I could remove the LCD from the front, as the LCD is held in place by two metal brackets top and bottom which unscrew, so I didn't have to remove the white plastic assembly from the module and go in from behind like on other modules. There are no gold springs that I could see behind the LCD on this module. I believe the strips are the problem but can run a set of tests to determine what the exact cause is..

Thanks!

Re: LCD replacement surgery question

It shouldn’t matter. The strip is just a conductor for the signals to get from the main PCB to the LCD. Try it and if it doesn’t display correctly then you can flip it around.

Those strips are really interesting. If anyone knows how they work, it'd be great if they could share their knowledge. Looking at them, they just look like a piece of bicycle inner tube! Do they use micro channels of carbon or something?

I'd g00gle them, but I am not even sure what they are called. Anyone ordered them from P*cparts? A DW-6900 is awaiting a pair of these, as someone who shall go unnamed broke a piece off one while attempting lcd surgery. Oh well, it was a learning experience. Or so I've heard.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zabat View Post
    Those strips are really interesting. If anyone knows how they work, it'd be great if they could share their knowledge. Looking at them, they just look like a piece of bicycle inner tube! Do they use micro channels of carbon or something?

I'd g00gle them, but I am not even sure what they are called. Anyone ordered them from P*cparts? A DW-6900 is awaiting a pair of these, as someone who shall go unnamed broke a piece off one while attempting lcd surgery. Oh well, it was a learning experience. Or so I've heard.
    I think those parts are included in the module and not intended to be sold separately. Too bad, module is already restricted parts.
    Last edited by Epal2Apol; October 2nd, 2017 at 20:59.

Battery

It's ok to fit the LCD whilst the battery is connected? I've seen ppl do this on videos but so far have been more cautious and removed it during surgery.

Re: Battery

Quote Originally Posted by Plissken View Post
    It's ok to fit the LCD whilst the battery is connected? I've seen ppl do this on videos but so far have been more cautious and removed it during surgery.
    No need to remove batter IME.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

rubber strips

It seems that the orientation of the 2 strips is highly relevant and the correct way up is with the checkered pattern pointing towards the external LCD, away from the movement. However the connection is rather temperamental it seems.

One thing I noticed on the DW-6900 module 1289 is that there is a white plastic tab just above the top area of the recess where the LCD slots in. The LCD has to be inserted top edge first such that the edge of the LCD catches this tab and pushes it backwards, and keeping pressure on that tab at the top, you lower in the bottom half of the LCD and push it in place. Then you put enough pressure on the edges of the LCD (e.g. top and bottom where it is not visible from outside the case) to hold it in place whilst you put the two metal brackets and 4 screws back in to clamp it down. If you don't have the white tab at the top pushed back and try to simply press the LCD in flat, or if the tab slips from the top of the LCD, then you aren't going to get sufficient contact with those black power carrying strips for the LCD to function properly.

Another thing worth noting is that on the original 1289 LCD there is a strip of glue top and bottom on the top face, which is where the metal brackets touch it and hold it down. This helps to stop scratching I guess and also provides enough extra height from the LCD for the brackets to put enough downward pressure on the LCD for it to work properly in all sectors. A new LCD for the DW-6900 (3230 module) will not have this strip of glue at top and bottom, because the design of the 3230 module is improved to obviate the need for brackets - it is simpler and the LCD just slots in and clicks in. So when fitting it to the 1289 you will need to improvise and put some kind of flat strip under each bracket. I tried using two strips of thin cardboard, cut from a pair of dividers, one 1x19mm and one 1x16mm. This was enough to get the LCD to work properly. If you applied a thin layer of glue to the top and bottom, that might potentially work too although it is less flexible if you want to swap the LCD between different modules. The glue on my existing 1289 module LCD was quite prone to flaking off during reinstallation and scratching with fingernails etc. so I removed it all. Without the glue there or without any kind of strips under the brackets, from my experience, the LCD will not get a good enough contact and thus will likely only display on half the sectors or so.

On the 1289, if you damage/lose any of the black strips, brackets or bracket screws, you cannot buy a direct replacement, as they come as part of the module and this is discontinued. You would need to buy a new or used DW-6900 and butcher it. However, it is possible to buy some of the 3230 modules still for the newer DW-6900s (not the DW-6900-1V), which is a more convenient module to work with, which would be a direct swap for the 1289 module in your watch.
    Last edited by Plissken; October 8th, 2017 at 19:01. Reason: Make it clearer & extra information

Thread Information