Learning the ABC...

Thread: Learning the ABC...

Learning the ABC...

Queen6 advised that i ask around here, too as the feedback in the ABC section was rather small.

So after you guys got me into G shocks, the Protrek reviews got me hooked.

I am looking for a nice black one, but before i spend serious money, i wanted a cheaper one to see if i would actually use any of the ABC functions.

I got a PAG70 with titanium bracelet and would love to get some feedback to the following points. Thanks guys...

- Where in the Portfolio of ABCs is this watch placed? Is it a rugged and accurate one or more one of the cheaper, basic ones and should be handled with more care than say a PRG40 or my daily beater G-Shock DW5600?

- Are there Strap options? IŽd like to use a Zulu/Maratac or a rubber strap instead of the Titanium bracelet. Tiktox did not show any direct replacement, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

- Out of curiosity, was there a Pro Trek-variant of this Pathfinder

- did anyone use a protective film for the crystal and are there any issues with the solar charging afterwards?

Thank you for looking. IŽll post some pics as soon as i get some time to shoot them.

Re: Learning the ABC...

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech View Post
    Queen6 advised that i ask around here, too as the feedback in the ABC section was rather small.

So after you guys got me into G shocks, the Protrek reviews got me hooked.

I am looking for a nice black one, but before i spend serious money, i wanted a cheaper one to see if i would actually use any of the ABC functions.

I got a PAG70 with titanium bracelet and would love to get some feedback to the following points. Thanks guys...

- Where in the Portfolio of ABCs is this watch placed? Is it a rugged and accurate one or more one of the cheaper, basic ones and should be handled with more care than say a PRG40 or my daily beater G-Shock DW5600?

- Are there Strap options? IŽd like to use a Zulu/Maratac or a rubber strap instead of the Titanium bracelet. Tiktox did not show any direct replacement, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

- Out of curiosity, was there a Pro Trek-variant of this Pathfinder

- did anyone use a protective film for the crystal and are there any issues with the solar charging afterwards?

Thank you for looking. IŽll post some pics as soon as i get some time to shoot them.
    PAG70 is as good as any protrek. No need for special care or anything like that. Technology wise ABC module became smaller over the years allowing more more slimmer Pathfinders but accuracy wise they all remain about the same. To many this simply mean deciding on non ABC features (regular watch features that you need) and looks more than anything. (Hence it's impossible to rank this one in Casio line...)

As for the films I don't recall anyone doing this on ProTrek (Protrek and pathfinder are the same thing. I think they're adwertized as Pathfinder in one region on the world and protrek in other - read : Europe). Partial reason for this is that crystal is well below bezel so most people don't have the issue with scraching the crystal (hence no need for film).

As far as adapters go I've never heard of such a thing for this model so I beleve that you're pretty much stuck there.

As far as toughness goes I woudn't worry about it too much. ProTreks are not G shock but over the years they've proven themselfs to survive just about anything that you can trow at tham.

SIDENOTE: I don't think that this model was ever sold in Europe (someone might correct me here) hence you'll only find it as Pathfinder and not as ProTrek.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Last edited by duke4c; January 7th, 2011 at 19:58.
    "Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

Thank you.
    I know about the Pathfinder/Protrek marketing, and some models or variants show up only as one of both, others reach both markets.
    I have found a variant with a resin band and now need to find a source where the shipping costs are not a deal breaker.
    Some variants have been marketed as Protreks, too they are called "Sia Kangri" in Germany.
    IŽll have a look if i can get a süpare band, maybe one of the watch dealers stocking casio can help out on this one.

I do like the watch despite the titanium strap. I thought about using film as the crystal is not recessed very deep and i have a habit of scratching them...

I just got out my cheap light box and charge my cam so i can post some pics tonight.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A few quick shots...

Nice watch! I think you need to clean the spots off your camera sensor though!
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

Thread Information