Lesson learned about buying (and, more importantly, returning) eBay items from overseas...
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Lesson learned about buying (and, more importantly, returning) eBay items from overseas...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lesson learned about buying (and, more importantly, returning) eBay items from overseas...

I couldn't find local examples of a couple of watches I was interested in. So, I ordered both from eBay. One seller appeared to be a U.S. based drop shipper and the watch would ship from Singapore. The other seller was based in and shipped from Hong Kong. Both were good prices and shipping was free. No brainer, I thought.

I received both watches after a lengthy delivery time; one was almost three weeks. I thought it was to be expected and didn't mind the wait. It is a looonng wait, though, in this day and age of Amazon Prime, and especially PrimeNow.

I opened the tin for one of the watches and immediately knew it was not a keeper. I like colorful watches and a certain level of garishness doesn't bother me but even I have limits. Someone here described the color combination as looking like something a baby would upchuck after eating a box of crayons. Close enough. I packed it up and put it aside to return.

I opened the tin for the second watch and thought, "Hmmm, I just don't know." After trying it on I still wasn't convinced but after few days I decided, "No Sir, I just don't like it." I packed it up and put it aside to return.

Today I went to the post office, watches in hand, packed and ready.

Mmmm, yeah, I'll be selling them both on eBay.

The cost of returning them to their respective countries with signature confirmation and insurance is enough to buy another G-shock; two depending on the models.

Lesson learned.
    jhunter3, Steelerswit and umarrajs like this.
    A man wearing a watch, outside of purely social functions (where, strictly speaking, a watch is not supposed to be worn), makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers his time something of value, not something to be wasted.

A man wearing an ostentatiously expensive watch makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers little.

Re: Lesson learned about buying (and, more importantly, returning) eBay items from overseas...

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckDELTA View Post
    I couldn't find local examples of a couple of watches I was interested in. So, I ordered both from eBay. One seller appeared to be a U.S. based drop shipper and the watch would ship from Singapore. The other seller was based in and shipped from Hong Kong. Both were good prices and shipping was free. No brainer, I thought.

I received both watches after a lengthy delivery time; one was almost three weeks. I thought it was to be expected and didn't mind the wait. It is a looonng wait, though, in this day and age of Amazon Prime, and especially PrimeNow.

I opened the tin for one of the watches and immediately knew it was not a keeper. I like colorful watches and a certain level of garishness doesn't bother me but even I have limits. Someone here described the color combination as looking like something a baby would upchuck after eating a box of crayons. Close enough. I packed it up and put it aside to return.

I opened the tin for the second watch and thought, "Hmmm, I just don't know." After trying it on I still wasn't convinced but after few days I decided, "No Sir, I just don't like it." I packed it up and put it aside to return.

Today I went to the post office, watches in hand, packed and ready.

The cost of returning them to their respective countries with signature confirmation and insurance is enough to buy another G-shock; two depending on the models.

Lesson learned.
    Yeah I had the same experience with shoes I just "had to have." They were sold out in US and UK, but one place had a storefront with a UK address and phone number. Turned out to be somewhere in Asia either China or HK I can't remember. The shoes as you can guess were nothing like what I wanted. Not even the same brand. I mean I don't know how one could confuse them. After a few emails back and forth to someone who apparently allegedly no speak English gud (conveniently), and finding exactly what you did, that the cost of return shipping was prohibitive, I'm left with ugly Chinese sneakers. They have no reason to do honest business and I have no real recourse. I tried to stop Amex payment but for whatever reason it never transpired. I can't remember the excuse...I have tried to put this whole experience behind me and forget how dumb I am.

I consider it my Stupid Tax. Paid in full.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    m1ckDELTA likes this.

Re: Lesson learned about buying (and, more importantly, returning) eBay items from overseas...

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter3 View Post
    Yeah I had the same experience with shoes I just "had to have." They were sold out in US and UK, but one place had a storefront with a UK address and phone number. Turned out to be somewhere in Asia either China or HK I can't remember. The shoes as you can guess were nothing like what I wanted. Not even the same brand. I mean I don't know how one could confuse them. After a few emails back and forth to someone who apparently allegedly no speak English gud (conveniently), and finding exactly what you did, that the cost of return shipping was prohibitive, I'm left with ugly Chinese sneakers. They have no reason to do honest business and I have no real recourse. I tried to stop Amex payment but for whatever reason it never transpired. I can't remember the excuse...I have tried to put this whole experience behind me and forget how dumb I am.

I consider it my Stupid Tax. Paid in full.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Perhaps others will read this thread and will learn from our mistakes.
    A man wearing a watch, outside of purely social functions (where, strictly speaking, a watch is not supposed to be worn), makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers his time something of value, not something to be wasted.

A man wearing an ostentatiously expensive watch makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers little.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So what's the lessons that you are sharing here?

A) Don't be stupid.
    B) Don't buy G-Shock
    C) Don't shop at ebay
    D) Don't use AMEX,
    E) Don't buy two G-Shock
    F) Don't buy G-shock that look like a crayon
    G) None of the above
    H) All of the above
    G) WHAT!
    kcohS-G, Fergfour and StephenWatch like this.

Yes, lesson learned. International shipping is outrageous in costs, sometimes.
    umarrajs likes this.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

I started a short-lived thread about this a long time ago, after I read about the agreements that countries come to regarding postal reciprocity. The US Postal service is instructed to deliver things free or at a loss from overseas shippers for some reason, I assume related to trade balances. It means that a shipper in China can fill a container with all sorts of stuff, get it to America and the USPS just delivers it basically free of charge. And since so much more stuff comes toward the States and not the other way around, costs for shipping to China are prohibitive and therefore you pay dearly for it. We have to decide, do we want really cheap shipping, really cheap returns or split the diff. Those are the choices. I kind of don't mind it this way - I just have to be careful about my purchases from China - I can be sure I won't bother to return it and they know it (meaning pissed off American buyers and no return business).
    jhunter3 likes this.
    If you never believe in anything, you'll never be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by HerrNano View Post
    I started a short-lived thread about this a long time ago, after I read about the agreements that countries come to regarding postal reciprocity. The US Postal service is instructed to deliver things free or at a loss from overseas shippers for some reason, I assume related to trade balances. It means that a shipper in China can fill a container with all sorts of stuff, get it to America and the USPS just delivers it basically free of charge. And since so much more stuff comes toward the States and not the other way around, costs for shipping to China are prohibitive and therefore you pay dearly for it. We have to decide, do we want really cheap shipping, really cheap returns or split the diff. Those are the choices. I kind of don't mind it this way - I just have to be careful about my purchases from China - I can be sure I won't bother to return it and they know it (meaning pissed off American buyers and no return business).
    That's interesting. But yeah. No repeat customer here.

Do you have pictures of what you returned?

Quote Originally Posted by Epal2Apol View Post
    So what's the lessons that you are sharing here?

A) Don't be stupid.
    B) Don't buy G-Shock
    C) Don't shop at ebay
    D) Don't use AMEX,
    E) Don't buy two G-Shock
    F) Don't buy G-shock that look like a crayon
    G) None of the above
    H) All of the above
    G) WHAT!

Individual reading comprehension level will dictate what each person has the ability to extrapolate from this thread. Much like in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergfour View Post
    Do you have pictures of what you returned?
    This...

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckDELTA View Post
    I didn't return them. They'll be going up on eBay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information