Life span of modern analogue quartz ?

Thread: Life span of modern analogue quartz ?

Life span of modern analogue quartz ?

Hi all,
    I've recently taken the plunge and bought my first automatic (Damasko dc56) I've a collection of various quartz watches inc an MRG-7500 g shock and Oceanus m800. Really like them but I was wondering if anyone had any experiences or opinions on their probable lifespan ? Unlike my auto and its need for servicing, my high tech chronos with multiple motors etc are fit and forget, fingers crossed I don't have any problems with them...! I read somewhere that the likes of the lube in the citizen Attessa has lifespan of 20years plus...any thoughts ?
    Many thanks
    D

Re: Life span of modern analogue quartz ?

I'm speculating really, but I don't see why a decent analogue quartz shouldn't effectively last a lifetime. The gears and bearings will undoubtedy suffer wear, but I'm guessing this is more likely to result in 'sloppiness' than failure. Parts might be a problem if they're needed. Quartz movements tend to be replaced rather than repaired, and few manufacturers are likely to stock obsolete movements for more than a decade.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

The reason many don't last is because people let them get dirty, and when the case is opened to replace the battery, the dirt that gets inside eventually kills the movement. The smallest speck can do in a watch, no matter how good it is.
    ShockMister

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ELLIETWED View Post
    I read somewhere that the likes of the lube in the citizen Attessa has lifespan of 20years plus...any thoughts ?
    Many thanks
    D
    I can't say for certain just how long a quartz analog watch will last, but I'm thinking that one will last for well over 100 years IF it doesn't get broken by rough handling.

Here is a cheap quartz analog Swatch that I bought back around 1989...
    It's twenty years old and it still keeps great time.
    And I've never had it serviced ever...I change the batteries myself.

Suspended

Quartz watches do require servicing, although not to the extent of mechanicals. The motors are very low torque so it doesn't take much dirt or aged oil to freeze them up.

A better question is are the modules in those watches even servicable. Cheaper modules are completely sealed making service impossible. Not sure about the ones you listed.

i've also seen the 20 year figure in reference to the nicer citizen and seikos.

one part of me reacts to this sort of question this way: why do i care, as there's no way i'll keep this watch for 20 years, let alone 10 let alone 5 and maybe not even 1! now of course, that's partly because i'm still sort of in the new-hobby euphoria and flipping watches left and right.

that being said, i can appreciate the question on a purely academic level. and i have no idea! i'd guess the gears could be cleaned and lube'd, the battery replaced, and the whole thing dusted. but what about the integrated circuits? the lcd? no, i wouldn't count on passing down anything electronic to my grandchildren.

there is an absolutely lovely video ... let me find it... here it is. anyhow, the pertinent section is where he talks about the longevity and servicing potential of a mechanical watch.

by the way, super choice of first mechanical watch. i'm a damasko fan too. any chance of a family portrait with the new addition?
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Thread Information