Lifespan of new G-Shocks

Thread: Lifespan of new G-Shocks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lifespan of new G-Shocks

My buddy's got a G-shock from, literally, the early 80's - still going strong after several battery changes of course. what kind of life can I expect out of new Casio G-shocks? namely, the GW5600BCJ-1? How long, specifically, is the lifespan of the digital screen on these watches? approx. of course.

Re: Lifespan of new G-Shocks

I am currently traveling forward in time to answer that very question. I predict it will be many years before I have reached a conclusion.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by natornate View Post
    I am currently traveling forward in time to answer that very question. I predict it will be many years before I have reached a conclusion.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think providing you dont PURPOSELY ruine the watches then youl get a VERY long time of service out of them, i mean they are the toughest :D.

i dun really wear all mine, so ill be expecting until there will b no cars on the road anymore but in the sky.
    "My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

Banned

They will last at least 10 to 25+ years to a lifetime depending on how well that you take care of them. I had a DW5600 with the screwback bezel that I purchased brand new back in the late 80's or early 90's which I gave to my brother-in-law back in the mid to late 90's. He wore it for a few years and he then gave it to his cousin who STILL owns and wears this particular watch. A few years back, the exterior rubber insulating bezel and the Casio factory rubber silicone watchband all deteriorated and are currently gone and the watch is currently worn with the entire stainless steel watch case all exposed on a cheap metal clasp watchband. But the watch STILL WORKS EXCELLENT. The LCD display STILL WORKS well. There's only one small line on one of the digits on the LCD display that doesn't show. All the functions on the watch STILL WORK well. The battery on this watch has been changed at least 4 to 5 times over the last 18 to 20 years.

The current owner of the watch wears this watch 24/7 and he also wears it while he showers and ALSO while swimming in the Mediterranean Sea (he lives in Greece). This watch has seen a lot of dirt, dust and mud and has also been knocked around a lot. Overall, this watch has never let him down and he's the 3rd owner of the watch right now.
    I highly recommend the DW5600 if you are looking for an affordable watch that's very durable and rugged. I say go for it!
    Last edited by RolexSubMan; December 29th, 2008 at 09:14.

I have one that is still running after almost 20 years. the resin bezel has got brittlle and cracked. need to replace the bezel and strap. but its still running

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
    How long, specifically, is the lifespan of the digital screen on these watches? approx. of course.
    It shouldn't be of any practical concern because it will last longer than the resin case - for which a replacement may or may not be available.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    It shouldn't be of any practical concern because it will last longer than the resin case - for which a replacement may or may not be available.
    This brings up a question of mine. If one has spare resin parts for their valued models the spares will age at generally the same pace as the original excluding the occasional bump. What's a way to preserve your backups? In a jar with an inert gas would work I figure. Anything less elaborate?
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by natornate View Post
    This brings up a question of mine. If one has spare resin parts for their valued models the spares will age at generally the same pace as the original excluding the occasional bump. What's a way to preserve your backups? In a jar with an inert gas would work I figure. Anything less elaborate?
    I think one of the problems with resin is called hydrolosis which primarily occurs due to resin sitting unmoved for long periods. I don't know the chemistry behind it, but when resin (which is made from petroleum) isn't flexed and moved, it can start to degrade and breakdown.

May be the thing is to keep the spares in airtight containers away from UV and give them some 'exercise' on a regular basis. I suspect keeping bands in dehumidifed containers will help with hydrolosis by drying the resin out slowly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information