Light box/tent

Thread: Light box/tent

Light box/tent

well seeing as i lurk on PMWF too, i thought i'd mention that there have been a few posts about home made light boxes for taking pics...

I'm blessed with having plenty of sunshine here in st louis, except when its stormy and knocks the power out for a week, but thats another story... so i had been taking pictures outside in natural light.

unfortunately this means that maybe one out of 20 pics actually looks reasonable, anyway long story short (i know too late) i decided to try one of the ideas over there for making a light box...

materials needed:

1 swiss army knife
    2 cardboard box
    3 some tape (i managed to find some double sided AND some duck tape... its the midwest everything has to be made with some duck tape in it its the law...)
    4 some waxed paper/greaseproof paper (stolen from the kitchen cabinet, but dont tell)
    5 couple of bulldog clips

time to construct:

erm... i wasnt keeping track, but about 15 minutes... or 3 hours if you count going to the store to get some more tape to tidy up the edges...

instructions:

1 take box and cut holes in 5 sides... see pic for approximate size...
    2 tape waxed paper over 4 of the 5 holes... need one to put things in it...
    3 tape edges of box to add additional strength (done after taking first pics and only to make it longer lasting...
    4 use bulldog clips to attach something as a backdrop (i found some brown wrapping paper in the cupboard... well i was only testing)
    5 take some pics

results:

I was impressed, and faced with the thought of paying about $100 for a commercial one, or spending... erm... $2.79 for the second roll of tape... i think i'll go with that for the moment....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by madmacs; July 31st, 2006 at 00:52.
    My watch gallery... (last update 30 July 07)

Re: Light box/tent

great idea
    would it work if you had a light on it

im guessing you could set up one or more lights and allow it to diffuse them... that would mean i'd have to find/buy lights though...
    My watch gallery... (last update 30 July 07)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Inactive

madmacs...
    Cool post - I just built a smaller one using wire hangers! Works pretty well, but it is considerably smaller than the one you built. I never thought of using wax paper...I'll give that a try and see if I can get some shots. Like you, I have been using sunlight coming through a large window but I have not set any lights up yet! May be the next part of the project.

Thread Information