Which line-up of G is best for a rookie? - Page 2

Thread: Which line-up of G is best for a rookie?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Which line-up of G is best for a rookie?

+1 on DW-6600 and DW-6900 series.
    G-7900 size and appearance isn't for everyone and I'd stay clear from that model as a first G-shock watch. You can always venture into 7900 line at a later stage, having owned one or two standard models before.

Anyway you choose, you won't be disappointed

I'd say go for the best combination of module with looks, which in my opinion is the GW-9200 Riseman, reason being atomic, tough solar, good stopwatch & countdown timer and time visible all modes. Also has great G Styling but quite modern. The altimeter/barometer functions are sort of icing on the cake - the watch stands as a great G even without 'em, and you can get them at a price now which won't make you feel like you're paying for those functions which you might not use much. It's a nice size for a G-Shock - chunky but not a monster, good wrist presence, extremely comfortable strap. This was my first modern G-Shock - never looked back.

If for some reason you didn't like the look of the Riseman I'd probably steer you towards the GW-6900 or solar-atomic rally mudman - GW-9010. The GW-6900 has classic g-shock styling, and a really simple, efficient function set. It wears big on the wrist in the horizontal dimension but is not a relatively 'thick' watch.

The GW-9010 is a bit love it or hate it in terms of style - loads of g Shock fans hate it - but believe me it is great in person and wears really nicely - very compact. Its display is just excellent, really crisp and simple, and its function set is great as well.

I personally really like solar-atomic G Shocks, obviously, but all those mentioned above are available in non-atomic modules as well.

Get a DW6900 and see how you like it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Boy, as i thumb around on the net looking at g's and specs and prices...I cant help but notice If you go to the actual gshock.com and look up msrp prices they are often no where near what the net shows. Some are so low i dont trust its real and others list the watch for 2-3 times the msrp.

What are the trusted authentic g websites you folks use to purchase? Or is this a brick'n'morter purchase?

Using the models suggested as a base to start at, i REALLY like the look of the 7900, mudman, riseman and 6900. May need to find some in stores and check wrist-to-watch ratio's.

Depending on prices I may snag one for the old man, he's been looking for a beater/solar/auto-time watch to use in the summers. Although, he has stated he has no interest in g-shocks. But, judging on what i've heard of them and read on these forums after he see's mine (or i just give him one) i'm sure he'll change his mind.

*edit*
    so far, i'm thinking either an all orange or white would be nice, but i really havent seen one i dont like the looks of the picture, lol.

It might be easier for people to give recommendations if we knew your location.

Most members buy their G-Shocks on the internet.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

the "flint" area of Michigan (usa, lol)

So many choices and all, but i think i'm leaning towards 6900 or 7900. Like white in both, but havent nailed down color or other options (solar) yet.

*edit*
    Untill i find one in stores to try out, is the mudman more comfortable to wear?. Specifically speaking for the piece that is covering part of the caseback. My best guess is that its either going to be slightly more comfortable or slightly less comfortable because of this piece.
    Last edited by archi2this; October 1st, 2009 at 19:51.

I have had 2 5600 watches and they were great and lasted for some time. I had recently purchased a new GW2500A1, and it is in your price range at Amazon. Atomic-Solar technology! Great features, great watch.

Bulova Accutron
    Hamilton "Golden Boy"
    Tissot Ballade
    Casio G Shock GW2500-A1
    Omega Seamaster 212.30.41.20.01.002

Didnt want to start a new thread...

Anyone else hate "that time of the month"?

Only 4 of the 11 watches in my rotation (eco-drive perp cal titanium, 2 timex and arnette) auto change dates. The other 7 I have to manually flip whenever it isnt 31.

Yet another reason to lean towards G's.

Trivandrum/Ernakulam,Gods own country,India

hey guys...am a newbie 2...but just got a shortlist.ok
    GW300A,330a,500a,530A,700a
    g2300b G2310
    Mudman Gw-9000A1
    AWG101-1A AWG100-1a,GW1500A-1AV..ok its a LONGLIST
    ...but the thing is i need a tough solar one..the ?? is ,is there still probs with the ctl1616...if so could u guys give me the models not havin it...and its my 1st so not plannin on xcess spendin...any other choices welcome..1 more thing am from india so the atomic timekeepin is not needed..n would prefer a chunky one..

Quote Originally Posted by archi2this View Post
    the "flint" area of Michigan (usa, lol)

So many choices and all, but i think i'm leaning towards 6900 or 7900. Like white in both, but havent nailed down color or other options (solar) yet.

*edit*
    Untill i find one in stores to try out, is the mudman more comfortable to wear?. Specifically speaking for the piece that is covering part of the caseback. My best guess is that its either going to be slightly more comfortable or slightly less comfortable because of this piece.

I like the Riseman the best out ot the G's I have. the Mudman is good but is not as soft as the riseman and lacks the ramp at the end that keeps the strap from getting loose. I dont have the G7900 yet but folks say its good also.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information