WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Little and Large: F-91W with GXW-56

8K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  entropy96 
#1 ·
I like a slim, light watch for running, so wore my F-91W for today's run. I'm now back to the GXW-56. The difference in size is vast!:

See less See more
#3 ·
Could not agree more. The hole G-Shock idea was little more than improving on this old venetable design. GX-56 is just a latest iteration of that same old, old, idea...

What's most startling is not so much the size but the fact that digit size didn't change whatsoever. Digits became thicker but not bigger.

No matter F-91W is like a original Rolex seadveller of digital watches. Many dive watches came after original rolex but they were just playing with exact same idea set long time ago.

Same for F-91W... it's a grand dady of digital watches and funny enough after all those years we still can't beat the originall... we can add features like G-Shock protection, solar, atomic even put the fancy gell inside and mud resistance putting it all in a package with a size that's close to ridiculusly big... but soul remains the same and unsurpassed in sheer functionality and briliance of simplicity.

What a shame that F-91W doesn't get more recognition in history of horology. As far as I'm concerned it should be right up there with best watches human kind ever made.

Cheers :-!

Reactions: Redcrow
#4 ·
I'm not one who believes that bigger is better, especially with watches. I like big, but some are just too big, especially when there's no real improvement in readability. That goes for both analog and digital, but especially with digital.

There's just something timeless about the old ones. I love some of the new features and am often irritated with the old ones that don't have them, but when the size of digits don't appreciably change with case size or even display size, I don't get the point. Fashion conscious I guess I'm not. :)

#12 · (Edited)
...but when the size of digits don't appreciably change with case size or even display size, I don't get the point.:)
Me neither. I'm a bit off G-Shocks at the moment for this very reason; too much frame, not enough picture. That comparison picture of Sid & Eddie really highlights the problem; all that wasted space on the GXW-56!

Fashion conscious I guess I'm not. :)
That exposed shock absorber is the horological equivalent of low-slung trousers that show your pants :roll:

#13 ·
I have a GX, but if I get a GXW it will be this positive display model, I'm digging it.

And of course that FrogMan is just sick.

Great pics showing where the trend is going. I guess in 5+ years it will start to become trendy to have small watches? Maybe a "micro" watch trend will begin?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.