Longest auto-sync time ever...
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By WES51
  • 2 Post By Greatkingrat
  • 1 Post By pfmail
  • 1 Post By Eric.S

Thread: Longest auto-sync time ever...

Longest auto-sync time ever...

The following picture and story is the restult of a genuine auto-sync over night and not from a manual sync! It all happened during the scheduled switch to DST.

Last night I found that my wife left this watch (which is her running watch), next to the bathroom sync.

While I was preparing to go to bed, I glanced at the watch and saw it attempting to auto-sync. This happened around 0.07, which I found already unusual, given that my watches always gave up after a few minutes after trying to sync unsuccessfully. But this fellow just kept trying, with the signal strength indicator switching between strength levels, while mostly at L3.

At 0.15 the watch was still trying to auto-sync, which I thought was getting just stranger. So I left it as is and went to bed. Curiously following up the next morning, this is what I have found:

Assuming that this watch is programmed to initiate auto-sync at every hour (just like my other watches that are working on US-American 'overnight sync-schedule') and it did not initiate another auto-sync attempt on it's own at 0.30, then this appears to be the most resolute auto-sync attempt ever.

Considering that the switch to DST bumped that result with an extra hour this suggests an auto-sync length of 42 minutes.

This watch just would not give up!

:D
    Servus, Eric.S and Dxnnis like this.

Re: Longest auto-sync time ever...

Interesting.

".....next to the bathroom sync." - somewhat Freudian!
    Davidka and WES51 like this.

LOL - but, this is not it's regular 'sync spot'.

In it's usual 'sync spot' it appears to sync within minutes with a 'GET' display that shows just a few minutes after the hour.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My Mudman was taking its time last night too. Even on L3 the whole time, others synced up way before this guy.
    WES51 likes this.

My 5610 took 8min last night to sync with DST change. Longest I’ve ever seen. Usually 3-5min.
    WES51 likes this.

I wonder if it's anything to do with the date / time sync, with the DST switch as an added complication.
    If the signal strength is fluctuating and the watch manages to receive just some of the data maybe it just keeps trying, but would have given up if it received nothing at all.
    Perhaps they all work this way.

Also, my European model WVA430 is programed in the AT (auto) setting to try DCF (Mainflingen) first and then if unsuccessful MSF (Anthorn).
    Normally it should take 2 to 7 minutes to fully sync but if it needs to use both transmitters, it can take as long as 14 minutes.
    Either transmitter works perfectly for me but I've reset the watch to AT as the Mainflingen signal covers more of Europe inc. the whole of Italy, whereas the Anthorn signal only reaches northern Italy.
    Both transmitters cover the whole of the British Isles but the Anthorn signal reaches westerly well into the Atlantic - a region I'm not likely to visit often!

I can't say I've noticed the fraction of a nano-second longer that it takes the signal from Germany to get here.

Thread Information