Look what 'our man in Japan' sent me...

Thread: Look what 'our man in Japan' sent me...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Picture Look what 'our man in Japan' sent me...

A mysterious, yet expertly packaged box that survived the great trip Down Under!!! Intriguing...

But wait!!! What are these shiny packages containing completely melted gloopy things???

Strange, gooey, waffery, sweet snack treats from Japan...

...and hidden amongst news of the Nikkei's recent crash is a large, dark box-like container. What could be inside?

...a brand new, very swish limited edition (fully synced!) GW400SF Hawaiian Silencer, that's what!!!

And finally, safely nestled in it's natural habitat on my wrist after its long, arduous journey (*chocolate stains removed earlier )...

*note that the sync indicator is switched off (it was showing full reception the whole time it was in 'Japan' mode and synced the first night it was here (>7,200km from Tokyo!!!) before I put it into Down Under 'home' setting).

Hope you like the pics...I need all the practice I can get.

p.s. big 'hello boys' to DragonJade for his assistance 'above and beyond' the call of WUS duty. :thanks

Re: Look what 'our man in Japan' sent me...

Congrats Bluegum, now that's a cool colour for a G-Shock. Its nice!

That's a great watch....

I didn't know waveceptor works in Aus....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats bro, that's a cool watch

Thumbs Up Re: Look what 'our man in Japan' sent me...

Here's my mini-review of the Silencer GW400SF...

Firstly, I've liked this module since it came out, but wasn't that much into the black or white versions. This green one however, is perfect. It's actually quite subdued and not sparkly in 'normal' light conditions...not the show off the G9100TC is. A couple of shades lighter than a metallic British Racing Green...'very niiiiice' (~ Borat).

It looks a little dusty because of some dried residue from the factory I presume...it wiped off fine. The box was still factory sealed...great Yahoo catch DJ! It's a good size and weight, feels slightly more 'fitting' than the Gulfman. Here's a summary of pros and cons bearing in mind I haven't tested out all the functions 100%...

Pros
    • display is very clear and crisp (similar in quality to the Gulfman/Mudman). Much better than my pics show.
    • the time display is very easy to read and like a slightly bolded version of the Gulfy's display with no slant
    • sits well against the wrist
    • colour looks like a nice deeper metallic car paint (I'm a sucker for the surfing LE's)
    • great array of usable functions
    • The tide and moon graphs are very accurate and detailed (I'll do another thread comparing this feature with the Gulfy's tide/moon setting later)
    • the temperature function (off the wrist) is very accurate (so far not more than 0.3 deg C out) as compared to a scientific mercury thermometer (this feature is actually more handy than I thought it would be )
    • Solar battery was on 'full' and the time was synced right out of the box despite it having been boxed since leaving the factory (?)
    • seems to pick up atomic signals effortlessly
    Cons
    • double clasp is a little more fiddly to put on than the single type, but probably more secure
    • the tide graph's height measurement isn't very accurate (this was always asking for too much), but the timing of lows and highs appears spot on so far
    • the temp setting is only in Celsius (which is only a con for the Yanks...we use Celsius here)
    • there is no east Australia home setting for the atomic sync, so I either have to switch to Japan setting every now and then, or keep it in Tokyo time with the DST 'on' which = our time zone (this stuffs up the tidal/moon info though)
    Actually, these 'cons' don't bother me at all (except the last one but it's the same with all of Casio's atomics alas)...just trying to be balanced. I'm sure others will find niggles with this module, but for me, it nails everything I was looking for and then some. Great watch. For me, this is really the ultimate Gulfman type watch and my favourite Casio module so far. This and a Pathfinder would cover just about every possible feature. This is the watch I wished I had when I worked a lot in mangroves.

Ooh, another interesting thing to note (for the Popeye's in the crowd), the 'Silencer' has a more generous band (hear that Gawain?!? ).

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBeeCee View Post
    That's a great watch....

I didn't know waveceptor works in Aus....
    Yeah, it seems to work great here. I wish Casio would wake up to that fact and put another time zone one hour east of Japan so we had an atomic 'home' setting...it's really the only weakness in all Casio atomics.

Oh well, it's not a big deal to switch it back and forth every now and then just to sync it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ultramanpat View Post
    Congrats Bluegum, now that's a cool colour for a G-Shock. Its nice!
    It is, but it's hard to capture it well in pics though...

...but I love it.

Very nice watch! I've never seen that!

Congrats Bluegum, you even managed to get synced all the way down under!!!

You really deserve to have this piece since you are making good use of all the features.

Heres to your new horological experience of automatically self correcting accurate time.

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

Sorry about the melted chocolate. Your best bet is to stick them in the freezer for 30mins. Sorry, you only got three - I had to keep everything within the weight limit.

I'm sure the newspaper had a picture of a semi-naked woman on it. Humm, must have given that page to someone else.

I would have thought you could create your own entry for the tide/moon graph with your own personalised settings. I'm pretty sure I can do it with all my watches that have moon/tide.

Oh, pictures of the double clasp, please, and of the back engraving.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information