Looking for 1st G-shock

Thread: Looking for 1st G-shock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for 1st G-shock

Hello all,

I've been a watch lover for many years, but I'm just becoming aware of g-shocks. The problem is that I don't have big hands and wrists--medium, I'd say--and I've always preferred medium-sized watches. (An Ironman has been my every day watch for several years.) G-shocks all seem to be big watches.

I've read a lot of your posts in the last few days, and I've surfed the web looking at a lot of g-shock styles. A couple that have caught my fancy are GW1210A-2AV and MTG930DA-8V. Both are new atomic models with metal bracelets, but I haven't been able to get a feel for their size. I'd appreciate any suggestions. :thanks

John

"Once down is no battle."

Moderator Emeritus

Re: Looking for 1st G-shock

Quote Originally Posted by beetreeridge
    Hello all,

I've been a watch lover for many years, but I'm just becoming aware of g-shocks. The problem is that I don't have big hands and wrists--medium, I'd say--and I've always preferred medium-sized watches. (An Ironman has been my every day watch for several years.) G-shocks all seem to be big watches.

I've read a lot of your posts in the last few days, and I've surfed the web looking at a lot of g-shock styles. A couple that have caught my fancy are GW1210A-2AV and MTG930DA-8V. Both are new atomic models with metal bracelets, but I haven't been able to get a feel for their size. I'd appreciate any suggestions. :thanks

John

Hello John,

Welcome to the wonderful world of g-shocks....and welcome to the forum. I might be able to help you with the MTG 930. I have a MTG 950 black force which is the same watch with certain style differences. I have a posting in the gallery section here on WUS which show wrist shots of this watch. My wrist is 7.5 inches. You will get some idea of how it looks and wears. It really is an exceptional watch. Up here in northern Ontario, my watch faithfully calibrates with the Colorado signal 4 times a night when left in the window sill. It's a great feature!! The watch is really quite tall. It sits high on your wrist but is much narrower than a frogman.

here's a link to the wrist shot posting

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=298

hope this helps a bit.
    Last edited by Timothy Patrick; March 9th, 2006 at 01:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Anton
    I haven't owned either but I'm guessing the MTG is the smaller of the two. G-Shocks generally seem to be getting smaller with only the Frogman and one or two others retaining the huge dimensions of old.
    Thanks, Anton. Some sites list the size of watches in mm, but I haven't found that for either of these watches.

Another question.... You were able to tell by the prefix letters which would likely be smaller. Is there someplace I can go to find out what the prefixes mean? BTW, I ran across articles at Wikipedia, and they're missing some. Somebody here might want to write up an article on "G Watch," "G-lide," etc. Just a thought.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

buddha-g

Here's that G-Shock model code "help sheet" I was working on. Again, if anyone can contribute or fill in spaces, please let me know.

EDIT: Just thought: can we get a FAQ section again to post these sort of informative guides again? Sjors posts were very helpful and collecting such things together outside a thread makes them easier to reference, especially for new members.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by buddha-g; March 9th, 2006 at 03:33.

that deserves to be in FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92
    that deserves to be in FAQ
    Thanks for the help, everybody. It seems that what I don't know about G-shocks I can at least make up for by asking useful questions.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Patrick
    Hello John,

Welcome to the wonderful world of g-shocks....and welcome to the forum. I might be able to help you with the MTG 930. I have a MTG 950 black force which is the same watch with certain style differences. I have a posting in the gallery section here on WUS which show wrist shots of this watch. My wrist is 7.5 inches. You will get some idea of how it looks and wears. It really is an exceptional watch. Up here in northern Ontario, my watch faithfully calibrates with the Colorado signal 4 times a night when left in the window sill. It's a great feature!! The watch is really quite tall. It sits high on your wrist but is much narrower than a frogman.

here's a link to the wrist shot posting

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=298

hope this helps a bit.
    Thanks, Timothy. This couldn't be more helpful. My wrist is exactly 7-1/2 inchs, and the pictures are great! I'm going to look at G-shocks this afternoon. WalMart has about twenty of them. At least that will give me an idea; I'll be able to pick out the ideal model and find the best price on the web. Thanks again.

John

one suggestion:

if you don't have big wrist but you came across a big G-Shock (i.e Frogman), try it with a pair of zulu adaptor and strap

that's how i got it to work

Welcome to the G forum,

The smallest current G is the classic DW-5600E(it is the proud desendent of the classic vintage DW-5000,5200 and 5600C.
    This is a nice comfertabe G that is great looking. Runs on a 2-4 yr battery.

If you want solar the G2300/2310 is your best bet as it is a future classic and besides the Froggy the most reliable solar G-Shock. It is a nice size and sits real nice on the wrist.

If you want atomic/solar G-Shock your best bet it the MTG-900,920,930 as they are slim cased and feel very nice on the wrist, it is on a metal band.

If you crave atomic/solar G-Shock on the rubber strap then try the GW-500(I cant believe i am recommending that watch :( ) :) But this is the slimest of the atomic/solar G's

If you crave an analog/digital watch look at the G100 as this is a smaller watch
    Good luck
    Leon

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Eckell
    If you crave atomic/solar G-Shock on the rubber strap then try the GW-500(I cant believe i am recommending that watch :( ) :) But this is the slimest of the atomic/solar G's.
    Why's that then?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information