Looking to buy 1st G Shock

Thread: Looking to buy 1st G Shock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking to buy 1st G Shock

Hi all,
    I have just registered here but have been visiting for a while and like the style and fun atmosphere of the g-shock forums.

I gave up wearing a wrist watch maybe 10+years ago because watches never seemed to last. I work in a hectic and harsh heavy engineering enviroment. Lots of dust, dirt, oil, grease, heat, water and impact/hammer work.

I now feel its about time I got a watch as I have just dropped and broke another mobile phone by getting it out of my overall pocket to check time.

I have been checking out the G's for a while now and love the look of them and the variety. I really like the all black models with solar power and atomic time keeping. But which to buy, Mudman, Riseman, I like the GW-7900-1JF. Also may of the other models with black face and silver/white display look mint!

Any suggestions?
    I'll have to buy on net as there are no G-shocks for sale locally in shops.
    Any suggestions on where to buy on web? As I am a little worried about fakes.
    Also my wrist is fairly small at 6 1/2 inches. Will a G fit that nice?
    Last edited by lazyboy; October 7th, 2010 at 10:52.

Re: Looking to buy 1st G Shock

I just bought a gd-100 and really like it. I have 6 1/2 inch wrist and bought one of the biggist models. I tried on many watches and smaller G-shock watches, but they all just didn't look masculine and big like the gd-100. I really liked the thick band and and aggressive style of the watch. Even though the lady at the sales counter said it was too big and recommended another watch, I was set on this particular model and bought it.

When I put on the smaller ones I could tell that it looked too timid, as one of my German friends told me, after seeing me with the larger model. However, you will have to like the look of a big watch and the possible attention it may grab. Personally, since I do have a thin bone structure and I am skinny, I like the fact of having a large manly watch.

I could not recommend more than actually going to a big city and trying on the different G-shock models to see which one you actually like.

Here are some pictures of my gd-100 on my smaller 6 1/2 inch wrist.

Moved to main forum.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think this thread might get moved but,,,,

I'm new to the G-Shock scene, so don't take my word as the last word!

I've purchased several models lately and I've found myself most enamored with the classic designed GW-M5600-1CR. This watch has been selling for cheap on Amazon.com which also happens to be the place that most G-Shock people recommend as a trusted source for well-priced G-Shocks.

The GW-M5600-1CR is Tough Solar and Multiband 5 Atomic which means that it receives all Atomic radio signals throughout the world except the one in China. I never travel, so Atomic single USA band is fine for me.

This watch comes with a smaller band and is great for small wrists. It's only 13.4mm thick & something like 49 grams in weight which is super light. You can really truly forget that you're even wearing this watch. The thin low-profile case means that it usually won't get caught on stuff while you're working (especially helpful for mechanics/repairmen).

The great thing about this watch is that it fulfills what I call the Never-Push-A-Button philosophy. Once you set the Atomic radio sync, DST & EL backlight to Full-Auto, you'll never have to push buttons except to use the Stopwatch, Timer or set Alarms. It will automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time, Automatically sync with the Atomic time signal and you'll only need to tilt your watch to the usual reading position for the Backlight to come on in the dark.

I have a bunch of G-Shocks and other watches but this is the one I feel like grabbing every morning, even though it's a total wallflower, I mean, it attracts zero attention except that people might ask you how old your watch is (because they think you bought it in High School) or might say something like "I didn't know they still made those." Ya, it's traditional, classic & some-might-say "boring" looks hide the fact that it's totally kick-ass in the function & features dept. It's not your Daddy's G-Shock.

with your work conditions, i would suggest getting a mudresist atomic mudman

Amazon.com: Casio Men's GW9000A-1 G-Shock Mudman Solar Atomic Watch: Casio: Watches

I have the same wrist size and I would not choose the 7900 which is very big. Even the Gulfman and Mudman are on the edge of having a too wide strap and being less comfortable on my wrist.
    But the best thing would be to try them yourself to know for sure.
    If you want a Gshock which is for sure not too big, the GWM5600 as mentionned by fwupow, or the G5600E, or GLX5600, GLS5600.
    Also the G2500 is cool.
    You can buy them on amazon, or ebay from trustfull sellers (check out their feedbacks). Usually a fake can be recognized according to the watch appearance, or the low price.
    Last edited by freeman; October 7th, 2010 at 16:10.
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*4) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

My GW002-BJ is unquestionably the best watch I've ever owned. Solar/Atomic, negative display, and it's a bit smaller than the average G.

I wore it for several years when I was a Border Patrol Agent in Arizona. During that time, I treated it like crap. Patrolling the Sonoran desert getting it muddy, dusty, submerged in water, banging it on stuff daily, getting into fights while making arrests, you get the idea. I know it's a bit pricey stateside, but I would highly recommend it.

G-SHOCK GW-002BJ-1JF - Japan Direct Shop

Or, save $70 and get the positive display
    Casio GW002KA-3V Solar Atomic G-Shock Mens Watch New - eBay (item 110581364907 end time Nov-01-10 13:53:07 PDT)
    DW6900CC-6..........DW6900-8DR..........G9000-8VDR
    GA100-1A2ER.........GW6900-B1............GD100MS-3
    GW002-BJ-1JF.........GX56-1A

Buy a Riseman or one of the 5600 models

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeibc View Post
    with your work conditions, i would suggest getting a mudresist atomic mudman

Amazon.com: Casio Men's GW9000A-1 G-Shock Mudman Solar Atomic Watch: Casio: Watches

I'll second this recommendation. Having had one for nearly 3 years now (I think, or maybe 2... can't remember when I bought it) it's pretty much my most worn watch. My work environment isn't "harsh", but when I'm on the shop floor inevitably things get banged, scuffed, knocked, whatever. The watch, however, still looks nearly brand new. I have no reservations about the watch, and lately I've been thinking of getting another Mudman... just haven't decided which yet.

DW5600E, DW6600 and DW6900. Affordable, worry and trouble free. Battery should last very long if you don't use your EL Light as a flashlight.

If you have a slightly higher budget, can always get their solar and/or atomic counterparts.

G5600E, G6900 and/or GW6900.

Basic models is the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information