Looking to buy first g shock, opinions needed.
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Looking to buy first g shock, opinions needed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sooo, I'm looking to purchase my first g shock watch. They never really appealed to me before until now. I've made a change in my taste of watches from "nice looking tool watches" to "functional, practical watches". Which essentially means I don't really need a official chronometer or 600m ISO dive watch. I still love the specs that come with certain watches however it's not practical for me especially regarding the price if I'm not actually using those features. I'm also into what I call "sustainable watches" I.e anything automatic or solar as you don't have to worry about battery's. Ive recently been on a solar watch binge. Mostly citizen Eco drive, however considering there cad prices I think there is even more bang for buck With Casio g shock. The only reason I haven't looked into g shock before was because I didn't like the digital aspect of them but I've changed my mind. So I'm looking for strictly solar powered g shock or similar, was looking at the g2310r-1: (not my picture)
    This is pretty close to what I'm looking for. Good wr, solar, lots of functions I don't really need but still want. I'm still not sure how I feel about the ascetics of it.. how does tough solar compare to Eco drive ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by flydiver; September 13th, 2017 at 01:35. Reason: Spelling error, didn't want to look like a moron
    yankeexpress likes this.

Re: Looking to buy first g shock, opinions needed.

Get in there! buy one and you'll be hooked if you like GShock styles. I've gone from the lowest end to acquiring an MR-G GPS model yesterday. With reasonable pricing especially if you buy used from the forum, even if you purchase a $100 'G' and don't wear it every day, You'll never replace the battery, wear it for any sport you partake in, and not worry about beating it up.

Find one you like, buy it. you won't be sorry and if you are, sell it. you'll likely not lose much money as most have good resale.
    flydiver and yankeexpress like this.

Excellent choice of G-Shock, a couple of potential "got-yas" to point out.

The difference between the GW-2310 and the plain G-2310 is atomic time capabilities (both models are solar charged). GW in Casio model names are atomic, if you want that feature.

If your wrist size is huge, well over 8 inch, the 2310 strap may be too short, heads up for big guys.

Solar G-Shocks so far seem to function indefinitely if exposed to enough light. I have several over 18 years old still on original batteries, still fully charged and working normally. Many of us WIS grab seemingly dead solars for peanut prices off eBay to expose them to a few weeks of sunlight and they always seem to fully recover, as I did with the G-2300EB pictured below.

The GW-2310FB model has a negative screen. Recommend the positive screen in your photo.

GW-2310

G-2310R

Both

GW-2310FB

G-2300EB

Last edited by yankeexpress; September 13th, 2017 at 00:48.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I always point the King to new owners it covers the basics and makes you want more! GX-56BB can be had for around 119 on flea bay.

flydiver and Mrcrooka1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Excellent choice of G-Shock, a couple of potential "got-yas" to point out.

The difference between the GW-2310 and the plain G-2310 is atomic time capabilities (both models are solar charged). GW in Casio models are atomic, if you want that feature.

If your wrist size is huge, over 8 inch, the 2310 strap may be too short, heads up for big guys.

The GW-2310FB model has a negative screen. Recommend the positive screen in your photo.

GW-2310

G-2310R

Both

GW-2310FB

G-2300EB

Thanks for the info! I don't think I really need atomic time, however I do like the negative display a lot. Any experience on the solar life of this Casio vs a citizen Eco drive ?

Quote Originally Posted by James Larabie View Post
    Thanks for the info! I don't think I really need atomic time, however I do like the negative display a lot. Any experience on the solar life of this Casio vs a citizen Eco drive ?
    The Casio are far more robust, as I have broken 3 Citizen through rough use. Do Not drop an Eco-drive, they tend to never work again in my experience. The solar function of Eco-drive seems to be ok.

G-Shocks are nearly bulletproof, very difficult to break, short of running one over with a train (they survive cars ok) or slamming it with a baseball bat.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; September 13th, 2017 at 00:53.
    flydiver likes this.

I dont know about the quality of the King display but it's known that you might kind of hate/love it. I have a 6900 negative display and I kind of like it but at the same time hate it, it is still a nice watch just not something I would pick instead of the regular 6900

Quote Originally Posted by Dualo View Post
    I dont know about the quality of the King display but it's known that you might kind of hate/love it. I have a 6900 negative display and I kind of like it but at the same time hate it, it is still a nice watch just not something I would pick instead of the regular 6900
    I modded 3 to positive Kings, as the negative King display is nearly invisible in certain light conditions.

Last edited by yankeexpress; September 13th, 2017 at 01:04.

The red/orange? It's beautiful

yankeexpress likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wcannon32 View Post
    I always point the King to new owners it covers the basics and makes you want more! GX-56BB can be had for around 119 on flea bay.

I do Not recommend the King models GX-56 and GXW-56 to first time G-Shock buyers as these models are too large for most folks, definitely outliers in the G-Shock line.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; September 13th, 2017 at 01:09.
    idkfa likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information