Looking to buy my 1st G-Shock
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Looking to buy my 1st G-Shock

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Inactive

Looking to buy my 1st G-Shock

I have run into a few of you on the digital forum and to those I say thank you.

I am looking to buy my first G-Shock. It must be Solar and Atomic. I also require the countdown timer. I also prefer the front light button but it is not necessary.

Which of these 3 will serve me best with the above features. Also please take into account the ease/ability to replace parts as they wear out/break and availability.

GWM850-1CR
    GW6900-1
    GWM500A-1

I will most likely purchase from Amazon and wish to keep the cost sub $100us. Any suggestions will be considered as long as they meet the criteria above.

I do not like the 5610 & 5600 series.

Re: Looking to buy my 1st G-Shock

I would pick the GW6900 because IMHO it is the most durable of the three, i do not know the durability of the chromed bezel on the other two, but other member who own these models can give more information.
    Also note that none of the above listed have the Auto repeat CDT.
    Capt Obvious likes this.

Inactive

Auto repeat CDT? Meaning it will always be set as I left it until I change it? Say I set it for 17 min. It will stay that way until I change it correct?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Auto repeat CDT means the timer will start counting down again once finished. if you set it for one minute it will count down to zero, gives an alarm sound then start counting down again and so on until you stop it. Auto repeat is an added feature to some models that can be switched on/off.
    Capt Obvious likes this.

Based on the information from your other thread and your possible desire to install an aftermarket, non-resin strap, I suggest that you go with the GW-6900.

It's probably the most popular model of the three you listed, parts are widely available, and it even accepts parts (such as the bezel) from certain other models such as the solar-only G-6900.

It can also use the strap from the very common DW-5600 and DW-6900, which is important because THAT means it can use strap adapters to mount aftermarket straps! The adapters from Casio, Suppa and Shapeways WILL work with it; I think the ones from TriloTac will work as well but I can't confirm -- they seem to have closed their eBay store for the holidays. I've installed Casio adapters on seven GW-6900's so far: three of my own (long story as to why I have three) and four for friends.

Here are my three GW-6900's with Casio adapters and Zulu straps -- I change the colors of the bezels and straps on a regular basis:

Name:  6900 trio october '14.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  278.1 KB

The countdown timers on the models listed WILL stay at 17 minutes (in your example) until you change it, but that's not the "auto repeat" feature. The auto repeat feature found on other models will count down from 17 minutes, beep when it gets to "zero," and immediately start to count down from 17 minutes again WITHOUT THE USER TOUCHING ANY BUTTONS, beep when it gets to "zero" again, immediately start to count down from 17 minutes AGAIN and so on until it's manually stopped. Some people find it a useful feature at the gym, but I don't think it's a "must have," and apparently neither does Casio since it's on so few of their models!

Here are my impressions:

GW-M850A, Nice and small, it has, IMO, the best lcd for a solar/atomic. It's main feature is the rally timers. Most on the forum have no need nor care for it. I have one and like it

GW500A, do not get it. Get the updated GWM500A. I do not have this model. The new one has a CDT instead of the useless time memo. It has nice large digits for us older folks who need glasses but refuse to wear them. I have noticed that this model has some ghosting of the lcd panel at certain angles. Meaning the digits disappear if not viewed directly face on.

GW-6900, best all around solar/atomic and it also has the front mounted light. For a first G I would recommend this one. Iconic shape and very comfortable on the wrist.

All of these have Auto EL so it can be set and will only turn the EL on when it is dark enough to need it. So a front mounted light button is not truly needed.

My GW-6900 on a Nato.

GW-M850
    Last edited by Rocat; December 13th, 2014 at 16:44.
    G-fob and Capt Obvious like this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    GW500A, do not get it! Get the updated GWM500A. The new one has a CDT instead of the useless time memo. It has nice large digits for us older folks who need glasses but refuse to wear them.
    As mentioned in the other, non-f17 thread, the GW(M)500 won't work with adapters if the OP decides that he wants to go that route, but it does have the front-mounted light button.

I'll mostly agree with Rocat that at least 90% of prospective buyers of the GW(M)500 probably want the newer, "M" version: it's "Multiband 6" and has a countdown timer! 9% of the people might want to save a few bucks and grab the old one at a discount, and can live without the CDT. 1% or less might actually prefer the "Time Memo" feature, but it leaves most of us shaking our heads and wishing that it had a CDT instead.
    Rocat and Capt Obvious like this.

the 850 has the best features but most people don't like it because of its silver ring bezel and light button

Inactive

I like both the 850 and the 6900. Sonething for me to think about there.

GW-M850 both

Rocat likes this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information