Looking for a G-shock that fits my needs, need help!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sedi

Thread: Looking for a G-shock that fits my needs, need help!

Looking for a G-shock that fits my needs, need help!

Hi guys, I'm new here and in the market for a new watch. I work in Law Enforcement and need a G-shock with certain specs that fit my needs. Basically is there a model of g-shock that has the following specs: Is black in color (the screen itself does not need to be black with negative font), solar powered with atomic time keeping, and lastly has a countdown timer that allows you to adjust the seconds and not just minutes. If anybody can point me in the right direction or if Casio does not offer anything like the above another brand recommendation will do. Thanks!

P.S. price does not matter.

Re: Looking for a G-shock that fits my needs, need help!

Hi and welcome!
    The closest is probably the GWX-8900-1. It has a double timer that can be set in 5-sec increments - right now I'm not aware of any solar/atomic G-Shock that let's you set the timer in 1-sec increments.
    Module number is 3278 - manual:
    http://support.casio.com/en/manual/009/qw3278.pdf
    And a nice video review by our very own fwupow:

cheers, Sedi
    G-fob likes this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

I think the DW-5600E (1545 module) has the seconds adjustment feature...

Does the newer (3229) have that?
    Last edited by Axiom; October 9th, 2013 at 02:00.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Axiom,

Yes the DW 5600E (3229) has the ability to set seconds in the countdown timer. Honestly , With the exception of solar, the DW5600E should fit your needs. The batteries last forever on these G's. BTW, the DW5600E was my first G and I wear it more than the others.

Have a great day,
    Last edited by Rocat; October 9th, 2013 at 02:19. Reason: added module number
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Ooops, I completely forgot about the AWG-M100B - even though I have one myself - it has only a 100min timer but it can be set to the second - however the displays are rather tiny and don't have a backlight so it might not be the best choice.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Ooops, I completely forgot about the AWG-M100B - even though I have one myself - it has only a 100min timer but it can be set to the second - however the displays are rather tiny and don't have a backlight so it might not be the best choice.

cheers, Sedi
    Definitely don't like analog or a mix. Thanks though.

will the GW5600J do?

I think you will be a lot happier with your G-Shock "experience" if you drop your reguirement of solar/atomic. All of a sudden, a lot of great models will enter in your view with fantastic variety of looks and functionality. A watch like the GD-350, for example, (link: http://www.casio-intl.com/asia-mea/en/wat/watch_detail/GD-350-1/) has an almost perfect timer that can even be started from home-time mode and is settable to the second (I say "almost perfect" because it has no auto-repeat function, but since you can start it yourself from home time, that omission doesn't botter me personally). The watch uses a large battery that will last you close to what a solar battery will without the hassle of having to charge it with light. As an added bonus, you get a vibration alarm that may come in handy in your work. I would recommend the version called GD-350-1 with black resin (it is actually extremely dark gray) with a positive display; I have it and have stealthed out the gray G-Shock lettering on the bezel. There is also a lighter-gray version called GD-350-8 and an all-black, negative-display version called GD-350-1B, but that last one may be harder to read even if it is one of the most legible negative displays in the G-Shock range.

EDIT:
    P.S. To be fair, there are a number of much-respected forumites here who strongly dislike the GD-350 and find design flaws with it that are deal-breakers for them (a simple google search will come up with a few threads like that). I agree with some of their points, but like many other also much-respected forumites, I absolutely love the watch and use it as my daily beater and will continue to do so in the foreseeable future while the rest of my collection gathers dust in the drawer. One has to make their own mind and agree to disagree. I, for one, am constantly tempted to get all three versions of the model since Amazon is giving it away in the $70-80 range lately.
    Last edited by alexs12; October 10th, 2013 at 11:10.

Quote Originally Posted by phattbam View Post
    will the GW5600J do?
    The countdown timer on the GW-5600-J only allows for "0 to 60 minutes" -- and minutes only -- and can't be adjusted for seconds.

+1 for the GD-350-8. Casio rates it as a 10 year battery life (I think), and the ability to start the countdown timer with a single button press from the home screen is very handy! So you don't even need to look at the watch, scroll through to the right mode and start it, as with other Gs.

When you start the countdown, it shows on your home screen right above the current time (replaces the date display). AND you can see the current time in all modes. AND it has vibrate. AND the digits are nice and large, and very crisp. AND the backlight is super bright (2 LEDs I think).

Watch a video review, and I think you will find this watch is very, very suitable for your needs
    -- Gray
    Current Favourite: PRG240 (the orange-tinted one)

Thread Information