Looking for my first G-Shock
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Looking for my first G-Shock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for my first G-Shock

Hello all new here...

I've been doing lots of research and I am looking at getting a Casio

I really like the Rangeman,, very nice...

I have two minimum requirements - 100 Hour Countdown Timer and Solar - oh and I like the beefy look...I can't seem to find anything like this other than the 7700 that I'm not particularly fond of..

Any suggestions comments would be greatly appreciated

Tx

Re: Looking for my first G-Shock

Cannot go wrong with a Rangeman. Look at the Frogman or Riseman (discontinued, but may be in stock at some dealers also.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

Quote Originally Posted by brbo View Post
    I have two minimum requirements - 100 Hour Countdown Timer and Solar - oh and I like the beefy look...I can't seem to find anything like this other than the 7700 that I'm not particularly fond of..
    Your requirement of a 100 hour countdown timer probably eliminates 99% of all G-Shocks, including the Rangeman, the previously mentioned GW9200 Riseman, and the current GF and GWF-1000 Frogman models. They all have a 24 hour countdown timer, as do most current models.

If you REALLY need some sort of alarm to go off three or four days in the future, you might want to check out some of the older models like the DW-5600E. You can set an alarm to go off at a recurring time (like 3:30 PM every day) or at one particular time and date (like 3:30 PM on March 15th) but even THAT feature isn't very common on G's these days.
    GaryK30 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Your requirement of a 100 hour countdown timer probably eliminates 99% of all G-Shocks, including the Rangeman, the previously mentioned GW9200 Riseman, and the current GF and GWF-1000 Frogman models. They all have a 24 hour countdown timer, as do most current models.

If you REALLY need some sort of alarm to go off three or four days in the future, you might want to check out some of the older models like the DW-5600E. You can set an alarm to go off at a recurring time (like 3:30 PM every day) or at one particular time and date (like 3:30 PM on March 15th) but even THAT feature isn't very common on G's these days.
    The GW-M850 can do date-specific alarms as well, as can the GW-9010 Mudman.
    Last edited by GaryK30; February 1st, 2016 at 06:12.
    Mike K and soulbridgemedia like this.

Yeah I know after the last week of searching (all brands) 100 Hr Countdown is not common and the models that do have it they don't get me excited -

The countdown is not for the alarm at the end - it is for these events I do 4 times a year - and its a 50 hour countdown - and having 100 other things trying to be accomplished the last thing you need to concentrate on is the remaining time and calculating and over different time zones etc.... i simply need to see how much time remains at all times as I progress.....

I actually found one online I liked for a great deal so I snapped it up cant go wrong with a Casio I figure - not to fancy on the band but that is easily replaceable and IT DOES have a 100hr Stop watch so that can work.... tell me how I did - good or bad - Cheers

Name:  350-1024589-894__1.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  22.4 KB
    JohnQFord and soulbridgemedia like this.

That Protrek us a nice one, quite comfortable. Like any negative display watch, you sacrifice visibility/readability for look but I've had that Protrek before and it's nice. Just be careful of the band, it starts fraying after awhile.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks you for all the info,

I wasn't a big fan of the strap - but I thought to myself I'd grab a black resin strap - yet they are half the price of the watch - that's crazy... However I like the ZULU bands and NATO bands I've previously used and can go that way....

Looking around here however everyone is talking about adapters and spacers and such - and I have to admit never closely looking at a Casio and not getting mine yet - I would have thought it would have been as simple as my other brands - would you not just run the new nylong band behind the pin and up behind the watch to connect it - why are these extra pieces needed - sorry newbie to casio - I would have thought they'd have a spring type pin holding on OE band...

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    Just be careful of the band, it starts fraying after awhile.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I wasn't a big fan of the strap - but I thought to myself I'd grab a black resin strap - yet they are half the price of the watch - that's crazy... However I like the ZULU bands and NATO bands I've previously used and can go that way....
    Where are you shopping for straps? Pacparts has resin straps for other PRG-270 models for less than $25: Consumer Electronic Parts and Accessories at PacParts, Inc.

Looking around here however everyone is talking about adapters and spacers and such - and I have to admit never closely looking at a Casio and not getting mine yet - I would have thought it would have been as simple as my other brands - would you not just run the new nylong band behind the pin and up behind the watch to connect it - why are these extra pieces needed - sorry newbie to casio - I would have thought they'd have a spring type pin holding on OE band...
    Everybody new to Casio is surprised at how that simple assumption is wrong.

Casio uses a wide variety of strap attachment systems on their G-Shock and Pro Trek line -- some of them are ALMOST normal, like early G-Shocks with seemingly-normal straps but with narrow lugs and short springbars, which are less prone to bending. Many other attachment systems seem to be based on "how strong can we make it?" and "how hard can we make it to replace?" and "how completely insane can we make the design so that we're the ONLY company that sells replacement straps?"

With my new personal favorite G-Shock model (GW-M500 and MTG-900 series) the case actually SNAPS INTO the strap and is then held in place by internally-threaded "screw and post" assemblies. It's definitely STRONG -- the case itself will have to break before the strap comes off, and it's definitely hard to replace since it often requires specialty tools like a jeweler's vice or a screwdriver block. And there's absolutely NO WAY to put a standard aftermarket strap on there without some SERIOUSLY creative modification to the case itself, which nobody here at WUS has even ATTEMPTED in over 10 years!

Judging by the pictures in this thread, it looks as though the PRG-270 uses the same "wide strap, short springbar" system as many G-Shocks: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/str...-a-958622.html

The options there appear to be "Casio strap," "adapters with Zulu/NATO strap," "a normal 18mm strap that fits the springbars but will look a little silly compared to the large size of the watch" or possibly "a normal 22mm or so strap, cut down to fit where the springbar fits into it."

Thanks Mike all great info - all the bands I found looking around were $45 so this makes it feasible to use an OE Resin strap...

Seems like 3-4 different part numbers for the exact same band I'm guessing its simply the colour of the wording that make them different ?

Good thing I didn't go with the metal band $155 for a replacement ouch

Seems like 3-4 different part numbers for the exact same band I'm guessing its simply the colour of the wording that make them different ?
    Yes, just a small change like the color of the lettering means that the same part gets a different model number -- which in Pacparts' database can be a pain when trying to cross-reference different parts. (And since you spelled "color" with a "u" I'm guessing you might be in the UK, in which case you might want to try checking for straps at UK-based Tiktox.com as well. If you're in Australia, there's probably no best answer since shipping will be expensive from anywhere.)

Good thing I didn't go with the metal band $155 for a replacement ouch
    "Ouch" indeed! Casio's metal bracelets are usually VERY high in price -- part of that can be explained by "they only make a few of them, for a few certain models" and "SOME of their bracelets are actually made of titanium" but the one for that model appears to be stainless steel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information