Looking for a new watch got a few Questions

Thread: Looking for a new watch got a few Questions

Looking for a new watch got a few Questions

I'm looking for a watch that I don't have to worry about getting knocked around, basically last forever.

After some lurking around I have come down to the GW-9400 and the PRW-3000 (probably the titanium)
    Even though Ill probably not use the functions much, a ABC watch seems very useful. Atomic Time and Solar charging, don't want to worry about a battery every year or two.

My questions are-
    How rugged is the PRW3000, Im sure the bezel would be get nicked up but what if I drop it or the watch gets hit.

Resin rot. I seen a few posts taking about resin rot concerning the band on G Shocks. (something like "I replaced my band with a Nato band, now I dont have to worry about resin rot" ) Isn't the body also made of resin? Is that something to worry about?
    If its just the strap, I'm not fond of buckle straps very much anyways. Has anyone put a deployment clasp strap on one? Pics? (is it possible)

Lastly, is there any other watches I should check out?
    Last edited by Nervosa; April 24th, 2014 at 23:07.

Re: Looking for a new watch got a few Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Nervosa View Post
    My questions are-
    How rugged is the PRW3000, Im sure the bezel would be get nicked up but what if I drop it or the watch gets hit.
    Pathfinders are probably more durable than most non-G analogs, and can survive quite a bit of abuse.

I'm not sure that they would survive the 10 meter drop test that G-Shocks were originally designed to survive, but they'll probably survive an everyday, one meter high drop onto the floor just fine.

Resin rot. I seen a few posts taking about resin rot concerning the band on G Shocks. (something like "I replaced my band with a Nato band, now I dont have to worry about resin rot" ) Isn't the body also made of resin? Is that something to worry about?
    I suspect that your "something like _______" quote is a result of too much lurking and too many threads starting to run together!

Casio straps don't usually suffer from anything except "normal wear and tear, " and you're right -- Casio watch bodies ARE made of resin, but "resin rot" USUALLY refers to bezels that start to crumble from a combination of age and apparently bad resin chemistry.

It's also important to note that "resin rot" mostly affected early G-Shock models from the '80's and (early?) '90's and Casio has apparently improved their resin formulas over the years, so we're not seeing the same problem on as many models since then!

Has anyone put a deployment clasp strap on one? Pics? (is it possible)
    It's possible, but it's not a very common "mod" -- here's the only thread I'm aware of with a G-Shock and a deployment clasp: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/wha...ml#post7512230
    Last edited by Mike K; April 25th, 2014 at 02:29.

Re: Looking for a new watch got a few Questions

Thanks for incite regarding the resin and how durable the pathfinders are.
    I like the build quality of the 9400 (its like a tank) but like the clean style of the 3000 more. Guess Ill need to find a store this weekend and try them both on to see how they feel.

Thread Information