Lost alarm spring, can you help me out?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TixTox
  • 1 Post By StephenWatch

Thread: Lost alarm spring, can you help me out?

Lost alarm spring, can you help me out?

On taking the back off my GW7900B, I now appear to have lost a spring (!), have spent an hour on hands & knees searching, but no joy. Haven't even got an old watch I can cannabalise. Is there anyone that can help me out with a spare spring? I'll gladly PayPal you for a stamp... Pic below shows where I believe the spring came from (hole at top in white module cover)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Re: Lost alarm spring, can you help me out?

I work on watches and clocks and I'm always on the floor looking for something, last night it was an e-clip from a DW6900.

A small bright flashlight held near the floor at various angles really helps produce a reflection so you can spot what you lost.

If you have any watch band springbars around there is a usable spring inside that will work, depending on the size of the springbar, they pull apart with some pulling and twisting. I put one end in a small vice and pull the other end with pliers.
    Rocat likes this.
    “Time is an illusion.” ― Albert Einstein

Like TixTox said: use a spring bar. It's the right size & any jewelry store that does watch repairs has them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TixTox View Post
    I work on watches and clocks and I'm always on the floor looking for something, last night it was an e-clip from a DW6900. A small bright flashlight held near the floor at various angles really helps produce a reflection so you can spot what you lost. If you have any watch band springbars around there is a usable spring inside that will work, depending on the size of the springbar, they pull apart with some pulling and twisting. I put one end in a small vice and pull the other end with pliers.
    I've already been over the floor with a huge torch, in addition, skimming it with a magnet! It's lost, I'm so angry at myself as normally I'm so careful, but the dam spring just jumped straight out of the tweezers, could kick myself! The springbar tip may bring something. May have the odd one knocking around, but in the meantime, the offer of paying postage is still open :)
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Hey bud, that 'springbar' tip is excellent! I easily nipped the end off one with a pair of needle nose pliers, and out came a lovely spring. Roughly the right girth, but 10 times too long, easily cured with a pair of snips. Thanks again for that, would never have thought of it myself...
    TixTox likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    Hey bud, that 'springbar' tip is excellent! I easily nipped the end off one with a pair of needle nose pliers, and out came a lovely spring. Roughly the right girth, but 10 times too long, easily cured with a pair of snips. Thanks again for that, would never have thought of it myself...
    Happy to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGtz-xh3wcM

Don't drill holes, though!

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomACE View Post
    Yup, slight slip, your watch's history!

I've already been over the floor with a huge torch, in addition, skimming it with a magnet! It's lost, I'm so angry at myself as normally I'm so careful, but the dam spring just jumped straight out of the tweezers, could kick myself! The springbar tip may bring something. May have the odd one knocking around, but in the meantime, the offer of paying postage is still open :)
    I feel your pain. I did the same when I was searching for the spring for my GW330A (story here https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/int...d-1116242.html ). And I had carpet floor! The spring was disappeared into another dimension! Good luck with spring bar substitution! Remember, don't use paper clip to sub for the spring!
    Last edited by watch_geek2014; December 4th, 2014 at 22:26.

A 13 minutes video to replace an alarm spring!

I can remove a spring from as springbar and have in the watch and done in about 5 minutes.

No, didn't watch the video, my time is more important.

That is one educational video - clearly shot, in focus, with a good narrative. That's exactly how I got my 'new' spring!

Thread Information