Lost in translation...

Thread: Lost in translation...

Off topic Lost in translation...

So I was writing for my Japanese weblog tonight. I took a photo of a window with smurfs. I thought I could handle translation tool well, but I think the Excite translator this time got a little Lost in translation...

That's left the original text, in the middle the Japanese text and right a translation of the Japanese text.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: Lost in translation...

Hahaha, lol, probably shouldn't post that one Sjors
    They might start to think you have something to do with the worldwide economical crisis because of a couple of smurfs

Very funny, but interesting. The word smurf when translated to Japanese is the same as a money-launderer. I can quite see how that can happen!
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: Lost in translation...

Ha ha, Maine,

Remember that English is not my native language. I had no idea where this was coming from and at first had no idea what this bulk of text meant.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

That's awesome.

That is cool.

I used to have some smurfs when I was young sadly I do not have them now but last week I found out where I can buy some, now trying hard to resist the smurf buying urge.

:D

That's funny.

Jenny took a look at it, and said this is a better translation of the second sentence.

誰かがスマーフを収集し、

Apparently, "suma-fu" is the Japanese name for smurfs.
    Last edited by Riley; January 10th, 2011 at 01:35.

When I first read it, I thought it was the start to a fictional story. I say you keep it going Sjors!

Lol.. I occasionally work as a translator, and have seen some screwed up machine translations when people have tried to do it themselves, but this takes the cake, no doubt!!

Perhaps, Sjors, you should stay clear of trying to translate to Japanese using a machine, lol.. Sadly, I don't know Japanese, so I cannot help you out here..

Paul

japanese only translates phonetically because they dont use an alphabet that gathers letter for a word, they just use pictorial characters. like my first name is Brendan, which only translates by sound; in japanese its Bu Ren Dan, which makes a crazy non-sensical phrase of words in japanese.

it's worse in Mandarin, where every word has 4 different ways to say it. here, if you say "hey" quietly or yell "HEY!!", it means the same thing; hello. in Mandarin, the same word can mean "table", "horse", or "mother" if you shout it or say it quietly, or in a rising question tone, etc. so if you yell when you should state flatly, you could call someone's mother a horse.

Thread Information