Love my KING, but...
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Love my KING, but...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Love my KING, but...

I can't believe the simplicity of the module in the GX-56. While it has 4 alarms, they are only daily alarms. I really like the modules that allow you to set an alarm for a specific time on a specific date (my wife is going to HATE this feature at 06:00 on her birthday!). Also, you can not set the CDT to repeat. I use the timer on my Gs almost daily and I really like them to repeat until I stop them. Also, doesn't show the time in all modes. I know this is a gripe with many people, but what bugs me about the King, in CDT mode, the date box is used to show you what the timer was set for. I know how long the timer was set because i set it!! It's a waste of space when it could be used to show me what time it is while the timer is counting down. Very minor things individually, but as a whole, this makes this one of the more useless Gs I have. But it's cool with me because the looks of it make up for the shortfalls!!!
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Re: Love my KING, but...

I agree with everything except the 'love my king' bit :D :D

In all seriousness, you're 100% correct - this module is very under-powered.

Full disclosure - I'm wearing my GX-56 right now and while I won't say its growing on me...its a high-quality piece in terms of the build quality. And its comfortable.

OK its growing on me.

negativedisplaynegativedisplaynegativedisplaynegat ivedisplaynegativedisplay

argh now I hate it again !

:D

Yes, that's also my biggest criticism of the King and of every other G-Shock that uses the same or a similar module (GW-5000, GW-6900, G-5600, G-5500, G-6900, etc. etc.) - it looks like this is the new standard however - similar to the 1545 and 1289 in the DW-5600/6900. What's interesting though is the fact that all these underpowered modules are based on the module of the GW-9010 (one of the most sophisticated modules concerning time-keeping - including date alarms btw.) - something you can find out by scrolling through the test screens until the module number is displayed - not to be confused with the module number on the back which might differ - the test screen shows the "real" module used in the watch or rather the module it is based upon - at least the GW-6900 has the same "real" module number as the GW-9010 - not really sure about the King, 'cause I'm not wearing it right now, but the module is almost the same as in the G(W)-6900. I sure hope that later releases of the GX will also include different modules. But I guess this is only gonna happen if they sell enough.
    edit: I'd love a release with the module of the G-9000 Mudman. Would be combining one of the best modules with the biggest and probably sturdiest case - the ultimate G. But I wonder if there's ever gonna be a non-solar module used in the GX as the solar panels are a part of the design.

regards, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; May 10th, 2011 at 00:46.
    capt_RENGT likes this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think they did it to reduce the manufacturing costs and keep the price down. Note that the GX-56 is not that much more expensive compared to a G-7900 or the like, while having a new case design with the incorporated a-gel, sealed bezel, etc. Maybe the GX-56 is actually an entry point product for the GX line, if they sell enough (which am sure they already have), then we will see more features in the future GXes. I for one think the oversized square shape will be a mainstay though.

Hi,
    I checked the module number of the GX-56 using the test screen - it's 3179 which is the module number of the GW-6900 which in turn is based upon a "downgraded" version of the module of the GW-9010 like already mentioned. The GW-9010 was the second "Multiband 6" G-Shock (the 1st was the Riseman GW-9200). So to this day many of the newer solar (and similar atomic) models are based upon this module. Sad that the module of the Riseman wasn't used in a similar fashion - maybe excluding the AB functions and thermometer but keeping the "time in all modes", alarm, stopwatch, worldtime and timer features. That would have been a much better "base module" to be used in a greater range of models IMO.
    Considering the GX - if one looks at the different modules used in the 5600/5500 model line it could be a realistic hope that we might see a GX incorporating moon/tide features or something along that line. However I fear that the GX might not be that big of a success as one could think considering the G-Shock afficionados in this forum. The normal person who buys a G-Shock might actually avoid the more "extreme" models of which the GX certainly is "King". The orange King I got was bought in a local mall and I think it was also the only one of this particular model they ever had on display. Even with 33% off the retail price it lay there for a few weeks before I finally caved in and bought it (despite the inferior module). So the GX could in a "worst case scenario" be one of that "different" squares that actually don't get to be the success we or maybe even Casio hoped. Someting like the G-7800/8000/8100.

edit: interesting to see that the 7800 and 8100 are still part of the line-up on Casio Japan while both are gone from Casio germany and most other European Casio sites. The non-atomic GX is not even listed - I think only the atomic versions (except for the DGK) were sold in Japan. The orange GXW is not listed either, according to the "Perfect Search" it's discontinued.

regards, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; May 11th, 2011 at 00:27.
    Cheers
    Sedi

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I like the look of the GX-56. I almost bought one, except for two reasons:

1) It's really TOO big... for no good reason. Big for big's sake is a turn off for me. And I just didn't like all that bulk on my wrist. I was very glad I tried one on before attempting an on-line purchase. The GW-9100 is bulky enough for me. And I've got a 7.5" wrist.
    2) The anemic featured module, for the reasons you complained about. Where's the logic behind making a module like this, when you have others more capable made years ago? Where's the architectural progression policy, so that Casio leaves behind inferior modules and just keeps moving forward?

It's models like this that really make me question where Casio is going. Is the target customer all about big looks above all else, functionality be damned? If so... man... I don't get it.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I agree with those two statements. And despite me knowing it had such a basic module I still wanted one badly just for it's looks alone. I love that it's big. I don't feel it's too big, in fact I've seen some ABC watches that take up more realestate on hte wrist. They may not be as bulky, but again, that's what made me want it so bad. When I bought my first G, a DW-002, back in 1997, I liked it because it was this big, chunky yellow G. I liked knowing that not many other people had a watch that big. Now, we've seen watch displays getting bigger and bigger, and many Gs are getting smaller. I wear my 002 and see Sunto's and other ABCs out there, and all of a sudden my old G looks more like a Baby G.

I really hope Casio continues to "expierement" once again with the oversized watches. I really can't wait to see the new Muddie, as I believe it's going to be quite large, too, and have a functional module, as well!
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

isn't the GX using a module 3221? I'm confused by this.

If it proves possible to buy a normal LCD module for a GX-56 I'll be getting one cos the GX-56-1BD is far too dear at £124 here in the UK

There's this if you're looking for a pos display:

Name:  GXW-56-1BJF.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  19.3 KB
    Hook 'Em!!

yes of course but this is the -1BD model I mentioned and it's £124 in the UK whereas the plain black model is £90 cheers, Dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information