Low-point popularity of 5600 and other square watches (past).
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By G-fob
  • 1 Post By NeedAG
  • 2 Post By ronbo

Thread: Low-point popularity of 5600 and other square watches (past).

Low-point popularity of 5600 and other square watches (past).

Does anyone remember the time frame in which the popularity of square digital watches was at its lowest point? I'm guessing 2000-2007.

Nowadays they are getting more common again.
    ShockMister

Re: Low-point popularity of 5600 and other square watches (past).

since cellphone become popular in the mid 90's until early 2010, wrist watches were almost dead
    capt_RENGT likes this.

I'm thinking about 1998. People kept asking why I couldn't afford a better watch, and kept buying me replacements.

In 1999 I tore the remaining bezel bits off and started wearing the watch naked with the screws sticking out like Frankenstein's neck-bolts.

I immediately got a bunch of compliments from friends on finally getting rid of my square plastic watch! That had to be the low. =-)
    Last edited by NeedAG; August 27th, 2012 at 04:35. Reason: wordy
    Chrisek likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

From my point of view, the answer is right now!

I didn't care much for them in the past, and I care even less for them now....

I am well aware that many people love '5600s / squares' - they are just not for me.

Neither are GA100 /110s, GX56 'kings', all mudman models, 7900s, gulfman models ...........

It's a good job casio makes soooo many different models, there seems to be something for everyone!

1996 - Still a little bit popular, though maybe "popular" isn't the word because they were the main style from the early 80's. I bought my first GShock that year, which was like a "jumbo" version of the 5600. I can't remember the model number. (Incidentally I think that is the first year I saw a DW290). I remember several coworkers wearing the old-school F91W's, etc.

1998 - Started seeing more big/round watches.

2001 - Round digital watches were all the rage. Timex Ironman watches began to produce newer models in different colors. I noticed that women began wearing large round GShocks, and they remained popular for years.

2010 - Seeing many new square digital watches again. Not just by Casio but other fashion brands as well.

Ray Romano wore both F91 and F105 Casios during all of his years on Everybody Loves Raymond, which ran from 1996 to 2005. But he wore them in memory of his early standup days when he used to time his performances. But I don't think they were as popular during that time with the general public. ...Personally I was glad when they became popular again. I've liked them since the early 80's. But I felt odd wearing them for a long while because most people didn't "get it" like I did.
    ShockMister

Approximately 1996-2007 as I remember.

I wish that translated into a "low point" price-wise lol. I was jokingly considering putting these gems on Yahoo Japan for $10,000 U.S. as a set. I personally love my "Original Crew" and all vintage screwback square G's for that matter. Tough little buggers they are. Cheers -Ronbo
    TedDotCom and metatime like this.

Thread Information