Low Temperature LCD G-Shocks. How many and best versions?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Low Temperature LCD G-Shocks. How many and best versions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Low Temperature LCD G-Shocks. How many and best versions?

I've been searching around for G-Shocks with the Low Temp LCD after seeing the GLS-5600WCL. The white version looked really good too. It was a tempting watch for me but too expensive and missing many features I've come to expect like solar and automatic time updates. But I like the idea of a G-Shock made for cold temperatures.

So far I've only come across three G-Shocks with the low temp LCD including that recent 5600 when searching. I like the small form of the 5600. But I want a real cold weather watch with covered buttons for snow.

Also, I asked this on the GLS-5600WCL topic, but how do people here feel about the strap attachment on G-Shocks? I saw a review on youtube that mentioned the thin plastic underneath might be a breaking point. That was when I was considering the Japan only military black 6900 with cordura strap.

Re: Low Temperature LCD G-Shocks. How many and best versions?

I am open to correction but I don't know of any low temp models with covered buttons.The only low temp model I own is the GLS8900

but it is a battery powered XL model, not sure it would fit your criteria.

I can say though that snow would not influence function in the least, even with "open" buttons, and that they are relatively easy to use

with gloves also (to me anyway)

The gls8900 has an excellent module. I think it's a great watch

Name:  gls8900.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  14.0 KB

I have the 1B...

They were also made in other colours than the ones pictured..
    Per Aspera Ad Astra
    SOLI DEO GLORIA
    disclaimer : I suck at photography

The G-7900 has the low-temp LCD, but it doesn't have covered buttons.

G-7900-1 | STANDARD DIGITAL | G-SHOCK | Timepieces | CASIO
    StephenWatch likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator G-Shock Forum

The G-9000 mudman is described on casios website as -20°C proof.

It doesnt state that on the dial, though.

Covered buttons, smaller size, just perfect!
    yankeexpress likes this.
    You see no pictures in my post?
    Photobucket decided to lock my pics behind a 40$/month prescription service.
    I used their services since 2009 so the most of my old threads have Photobucket pics inside.
    If you stumble across one of those threads and want to see the pic, PM me and i will re-attach it.
    What can we learn from all the lost information?
    1. never trust cloud services
    2. always keep control of your data

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post

Yes, I thought it should be low temp, since the module is similar to that on the G-7900, but I also looked at the dial and it did not say so. Funny that Casio chose not to advertise this on the dial with the G-9000.

The only issue with the G-9000 is that the covered buttons are quite a bit more difficult to press.

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post

...One of my favorite watches and I never knew that
    Per Aspera Ad Astra
    SOLI DEO GLORIA
    disclaimer : I suck at photography

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by G1Ninja View Post
    ..... I've come to expect like solar and automatic time updates. But I like the idea of a G-Shock made for cold temperature...
    You won't find any solars with low temp specifications, it wouldn't work. Actually Casio makes a false assumption, it is not the LCD per se but the kind of battery used which makes a watch "low temp" compatible. A rechargeable lithium-ion or lithium-polymer that is used in solar G's, does not go very well with extreme low temperatures and also not with extremely high temperatures. Most of us know this from our cell phones, which use the same type of chemistry in their rechargeable batts. Therefore low temp watches will necessarily have to have a primary lithium battery, only this type is guarenteed to be callous against extreme cold or heat.

About "covered buttons for snow": I'm not sure what your point is in that matter, but I would definitely go with a G-7900. You don't need cover against snow but what you need are large and easy to operate buttons with thick winter gloves - the G-7900 is perfect for that task. Now, while the G-9000 uses the same module and same battery (CR2025) the buttons are already not exactly nice to press in normal room temperatures. With increasing stiffness of material when getting cold, and thick gloves, I would say they become a major pain in the ass.

cheers
    Piowa, GaryK30 and WES51 like this.
    We are 12.6 %

There are a couple vintage squares, the "wide temp" WW5100 and WW5300. Supposedly good down to -30C. Probably not what you're looking for but worth a mention, at least from a historical perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Falco Furuitii View Post
    I am open to correction but I don't know of any low temp models with covered buttons.The only low temp model I own is the GLS8900

but it is a battery powered XL model, not sure it would fit your criteria.

I can say though that snow would not influence function in the least, even with "open" buttons, and that they are relatively easy to use

with gloves also (to me anyway)

The gls8900 has an excellent module. I think it's a great watch

Name:  gls8900.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  14.0 KB

I have the 1B...

They were also made in other colours than the ones pictured..
    Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    You won't find any solars with low temp specifications, it wouldn't work. Actually Casio makes a false assumption, it is not the LCD per se but the kind of battery used which makes a watch "low temp" compatible. A rechargeable lithium-ion or lithium-polymer that is used in solar G's, does not go very well with extreme low temperatures and also not with extremely high temperatures. Most of us know this from our cell phones, which use the same type of chemistry in their rechargeable batts. Therefore low temp watches will necessarily have to have a primary lithium battery, only this type is guarenteed to be callous against extreme cold or heat.

About "covered buttons for snow": I'm not sure what your point is in that matter, but I would definitely go with a G-7900. You don't need cover against snow but what you need are large and easy to operate buttons with thick winter gloves - the G-7900 is perfect for that task. Now, while the G-9000 uses the same module and same battery (CR2025) the buttons are already not exactly nice to press in normal room temperatures. With increasing stiffness of material when getting cold, and thick gloves, I would say they become a major pain in the ass.

cheers
    I read on a site that G-Shock made the covered buttons for the original Mudman to make it dust, mud, and whatever else proof. That's why I was thinking covered buttons for snow.

I'm not an expert on how batteries work but I should know from experience that car batteries act differently when it's cold. Many times I've had dead batteries after a cold night.

For me though not having to think about replacing a battery or setting the time might be something I've become used to having.

I've got the GLS-8900AR-3 and it is stunning to behold.

I believe "bitchin'" is the actual appropriate term....

https://www.g-central.com/g-shock-gls-8900ar-g-lide-aurora-color-series/

Name:  GLS-8900AR.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  55.3 KB

From a practical standpoint, though, this might be better...

Name:  Low Temp G.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  1.07 MB

SAR will be able to spot your frozen wrist sticking out of the avalanche of white, reaching heavenward.
    Last edited by m1ckDELTA; October 18th, 2017 at 09:01.
    Piowa likes this.
    A man wearing a watch, outside of purely social functions (where, strictly speaking, a watch is not supposed to be worn), makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers his time something of value, not something to be wasted.

A man wearing an ostentatiously expensive watch makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers little.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information