The lowly GL130, it's pretty amazing
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: The lowly GL130, it's pretty amazing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The lowly GL130, it's pretty amazing

Have you ever read a thread where people talk about feature sets of the modern G-Shocks and some people chime in saying how much better they used to be? There are a few of those threads on here, and I used to think it was all sour grapes, fear of change, etc, etc. I mean how can an older G Shock have a better module than the brand new "WhateverMan"? Then I got my GL130.

Name:  GL 130 Face.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  384.5 KB

I give, the display is all 8bit. You can count every one of 'em . I bought it because it was clean and neat and I was buying older watches to try out. The module itself impressed me quite a bit.

Name:  Case Back.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  382.8 KB

Module 2269 probably isn't the only one with this feature set, but I don't know enough about the older watches to group them together. Even the Bezel was used on other watches such as the DW2500. So what sets this one apart? Well, if you think of the more modern GShocks, you pick a time zone. It is pre-programmed and you pick if DST is on or off. If you get a G-Lide with tidal info, you can enter your coordinates (varies depending on model, maybe lat/long/and Int, maybe one or two pieces of info). But what if you could fully customize it to location? What if your watch could also calculate other cool info from the data?

Here's an example. Say you are going to your bud Johnny's Pad, gonna surf all day and then bbq and drink coconut milk at sunset. But he doesn't live close by so you could use a little help with some of the planning of the idea. First step is to google his address:

Name:  Googling Friends Pad.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  397.0 KB

Then click on it to get the map, and more importantly the coordinates:

Name:  Getting Coordinates.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  581.7 KB

Then it's time to start entering info into the watch. Obviously, you need the coordinates and you do need the time zone

Name:  Lat Long Setting.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  340.4 KB

Then you name it (you are saving it!) here I am in the middle of "Johnnys Pad"

Name:  Naming Place.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  409.0 KB

Give it a few minutes to calulate everything out (no joke) and then voila! On the Age of Moon Screen (how cool is that?) the bottom flashes between Moon UP

Name:  Moon Up.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  347.8 KB

and Moon Down

Name:  Moon Down.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  343.2 KB

Next screen (hitting the Mode button) is Sunrise and Sunset

Name:  Sunrise Sunset.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  325.3 KB

How cool is that? I know what you're thinking here: "so, I have to do that each time I want to see a different time zone? Do I have to program my home back in"? Nope. You can have 10 different locations stored! This watch came set up for 10 different famous surf locations for obvious reasons, each named accordingly (such as "Sunset", "Gold Coast", etc.) Anyway, this watch impressed me in a way some of my others haven't. I'm guessing why they went away from this is because most people never changed the settings, and then Casio went to pre-programmed "WT" screen anyway. Similar to the old flashing "12:00" so common on VCR's back in the day.

Some final trim pieces. See the shiny piece on the band?

Name:  Front of Watch.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  510.2 KB

See how they are beveled? They aren't painted, but metal!

Name:  Back of Strap.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  354.6 KB
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Re: The lowly GL130, it's pretty amazing

very cool, now i want one, my 9900 frog also allows you to set the time zones you want but i think only 5 or 6 and doesnt have sun and moon phase

congrats!
    Chrisek likes this.
    -Coi- instagram @kandyredcoi / Facebook

this thread is a must-read for true Gshockaholic, thanks man!I don't know about the module, but i always think the old Gs were build with much better materials
    Chrisek likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

very nice find! Sort of has a look that reminds me of the newer mudmans. I like that it has sunrise/sunset in addition to tide & moon; and data based upon GPS position rather than city code. but the real jewel is having saved locations! amazing. Why don't new releases have this stuff???
    Last edited by Nightshift; November 26th, 2012 at 16:44.
    Chrisek likes this.

Glad yoiu like the great functionality of this watch.

The ability to preset 10 different places with all the tide, sunrise, sunset data etc is really cool and useful.

The watch has a very similar module to the first Gulfman the DW-9700, less the Solar function. The stopwatch, alarm and countdown functions are also topnotch on yours and the Gulfman, much better than most modern 'G's.

Some of these older 'G's are amazing value.

Congrats on your pickup.

Mitch
    Chrisek likes this.

I'm sold. :)

My Core has sunrise and sunset. Didn't know there was a G which had the same function.
    Chrisek likes this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Very nice write-up, Chrisek.

I agree, the GLide series has been mostly under appreciated (at least on WUS) and often it slips under the radar. The only thing that seemed to jolt it back to life was CASIO's decision to incorporate moon phase and tide graph functionality retrofitted into the 5600 series casing, to include standard and solar/atomic models. But for a long while, there were quite a few models that weren't well publicized (at least in the USA). Thankfully, over time the G-Shock community has contributed a lot of information to the Watch Shock G-Shock Archive, and there are many of the GLide series represented.

The GLide series has become intimately identified with the moon phase and tide graph functions (no doubt, because of the predominant market targeting of the surfing community), yet there were a number of models that didn't feature these functions. I believe the first edition incorporating them was the DX-110 series released in 1999. Frankly, I thought the visual implementation was rather poor. To me, the GL-130 (released in 2001) is the first really "usable" GLide model with moon phase and tide graph functionality.

The next moon/tide functionally enabled G-Shock model, the 2002 GL-150, introduced the 2463 module that revised the functionality a bit to make the visual elements easier to read. The most obvious being that the tide graph was swapped into view on demand to replace the large time digits, thus utilizing more real estate (this makes much more sense, as the need to know the tides is not nearly as frequent as the current time). The 2463 ended up being used in 4 different models (GL-150, GL-151, GL-160, GL-180). To me, it was the pinnacle of useful GLide functionality, as later models did away with sunset and moon age data. The only improvement was to make it possible to configure your tide graph function without having to know the lunitidal interval.

Anyway, I have the G-2500 which looks very much like the GL-130, but without the moon phase, tide graph, and sunset info. It's a rather small watch and it's impressive how CASIO made the most of the rather smallish display for the GL-130.
    Last edited by xevious; April 16th, 2013 at 19:58.
    riffraff, Chrisek and Morteza like this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Very nice write-up, Chrisek. I agree, the GLide series has been mostly under appreciated (at least on WUS) and often it slips under the radar. The only thing that seemed to jolt it back to life was CASIO's decision to incorporate moon phase and tide graph functionality retrofitted into the 5600 series casing, to include standard and solar/atomic models. But for a long while, there were quite a few models that weren't well publicized (at least in the USA). Thankfully, over time the G-Shock community has contributed a lot of information to the Watch Shock G-Shock Archive, and there are many of the GLide series represented. The GLide series has become intimately identified with the moon phase and tide graph functions (no doubt, because of the predominant market targeting of the surfing community), yet there were a number of models that didn't feature these functions. I believe the first edition incorporating them was the DX-110 series released in 1999. Frankly, I thought the visual implementation was rather poor. To me, the GL-130 (released in 2001) is the first really "usable" GLide model with moon phase and tide graph functionality. The next moon/tide functionally enabled G-Shock model, the 2002 GL-150, introduced the 2463 module that revised the functionality a bit to make the visual elements easier to read. The most obvious being that the tide graph was swapped into view on demand to replace the large time digits, thus utilizing more real estate (this makes much more sense, as the need to know the tides is not nearly as frequent as the current time). The 2463 ended up being used in 4 different models (GL-150, GL-151, GL-160, GL-180). To me, it was the pinnacle of useful GLide functionality, as later models did away with sunset and moon age data. The only improvement was to make it possible to configure your tide graph function without having to know the lunitidal interval. Anyway, I have the G-2500 which looks very much like the GL-130, but without the moon phase, tide graph, and sunset info. It's a rather small watch and it's impressive how CASIO made the most of the rather smallish display for the GL-130.
    Funny you should mention the G-2500. I just scored an old beat-up G-2500FL-2MJR (I think that's the model, based on watchshock.com info) off the bay for $30.50. Hoping to replace the band, and trying to source a new bezel. Failing that, if the bezel hasn't deteriorated too badly, I may trying priming and re-painting it.
    xevious likes this.
    Life is short. Drink good beer.

"Never try to outstubborn a cat.” -- Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Great information Xevious! Sounds like I need to try at least one of those!
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
    Funny you should mention the G-2500. I just scored an old beat-up G-2500FL-2MJR (I think that's the model, based on watchshock.com info) off the bay for $30.50. Hoping to replace the band, and trying to source a new bezel. Failing that, if the bezel hasn't deteriorated too badly, I may trying priming and re-painting it.
    Ah yes, I remember this variant made of the bright blue resin. Unfortunately, there are no bezel/band replacements available (keep in mind this watch hails from 2001). The bezel is very unique... so your best bet is to either try painting it, or source one off of a used G-2500. There were 3 other models in the G-2500 series, with the black bezel ones being the most common.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information