Lucky CL Find (5600 Screwback)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By biggish_burrito

Thread: Lucky CL Find (5600 Screwback)

Lucky CL Find (5600 Screwback)

So, while browsing my local CL today, I happened upon a G that I for one did not believe I would ever get. I've been searching for a square for a while so imagine my surprise when I find not only a square, but a screw back! Original owner's pics showed that it was in dire need of a new battery and band (imagine a dog thinking the straps are a tasty treat...now imagine a teenager instead of a dog...yeah...thankfully I had tweezers). Well, drove a 2hr round trip (worth it imo), sat down and took my time to pop in a new battery while chatting with the seller and when the lil bugger came to life, we struck a deal.

Now all I need are a set of bullbars (anyone feeling generous? lol) and debating whether or not I should "stealth" the bezel

Edit 1- By the way, any screw back owners able to answer my 3 questions?
    1- does anyone else's REM button have an audible click? not the G shock beep, but an auditory "click"
    2- I noticed the module is actually slanted / lower on the right side where the date resides, is this due to the light bulb in the left?
    3- aside from pulling apart the spring that makes the beeps, how do I manually turn off the beep? I'm guessing I can't... eh ces't la vie

Edit 2 - I found out why the owner's kid chewed on the straps...damn thing smells like strawberries!? (*sniffs watch while typing)
    Onto the pics:
    Name:  IMAG0775.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  167.3 KBName:  IMAG0776.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  89.4 KBName:  IMAG0777.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  136.1 KB

PS
    Those adapters took a good amount of time and some fancy French to get on. The lug width iirc of the screwbacks are 18mm...but I did not expect the clearance to have a difference.
    Last edited by biggish_burrito; November 18th, 2012 at 07:37.
    kandyredcoi likes this.

Re: Lucky CL Find (5600 Screwback)

Could you not install an 18mm NATO strap without the adapters? Would look better I think and that's what I plan to do with my DW-5600C.

Quote Originally Posted by thm655321 View Post
    Could you not install an 18mm NATO strap without the adapters? Would look better I think and that's what I plan to do with my DW-5600C.
    I certainly could have done that and the thought did cross my mind. However, I had the adapters lying around so I threw them on for the heck of it. That and 18mm looks odd to me on a G...it looks a bit... lacking / insufficient due to the width whereas 24mm looks more OEM. Albeit a Zulu is not OEM on a G, but it looked more fitting in my eyes as opposed to 18mm. I had actually tried out the SNK809's stock straps and they just looked way too skinny. A 22mm leather / silicone strap looks fine, but I have a penchant for zulu's.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by biggish_burrito View Post

Edit 1- By the way, any screw back owners able to answer my 3 questions?
    1- does anyone else's REM button have an audible click? not the G shock beep, but an auditory "click"
    2- I noticed the module is actually slanted / lower on the right side where the date resides, is this due to the light bulb in the left?
    3- aside from pulling apart the spring that makes the beeps, how do I manually turn off the beep? I'm guessing I can't... eh ces't la vie

PS
    Those adapters took a good amount of time and some fancy French to get on. The lug width iirc of the screwbacks are 18mm...but I did not expect the clearance to have a difference.
    Grats on the pick up, looks like a nice condition- no bubbles.
    Japan H, 901 module is pretty standard.

I reckon the module alignment and the clicking are probably related. I've had it a few times.
    Name:  spring.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  76.5 KB

The pusher and the contact are probably catching on each other or flicking. You need to open it up and and turn the module slightly. Make sure the module contacts are in the normal position ( sometimes they catch on the button pushers when you re-insert them back in to the case.

If you don't like the beeps, you should probably have gone for a module 240 watch e.g. DW5200- they don't beep when you scroll through the modes!
    ~~: Vintage Screwback & Classic/JDM G collector :~~
    Screwbacks {DW5000C.. {DW5200.. {DW5400.. {DW5500C.. {DW5600C-1, 1V, 9V, 9CV, 5600B-3V, 5600D-1.. {DW5700..
    {DW5000-1JF.. {GW5000-1JF..
    Illuminators DW5300 DW6600, DW6600B, DW6600G-9V, DW6695-A, DW069, Dw6900, DW6900BF, DW8300 DW8120
    Other Watches: Rolex 116300 ( DatejustII), Orient Conductor, Sandoz Submariner.

Thank you @Davidro, especially since you provided a pic, I will try that out.

biggish, did you need to add any spacers to the strap adapters to make them fit the 18mm or did you just put them on as is?

Also, would a 22mm strap still look good? If I go the adapter route I have another watch with 22mm lug width and so I could share straps between watches.

Thanks.
    Last edited by thm655321; November 18th, 2012 at 14:42.

Great Pick up!!!! Congrats....
    Motorcycling is my LIFE..
    2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Custom FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by thm655321 View Post
    biggish, did you need to add any spacers to the strap adapters to make them fit the 18mm or did you just put them on as is?Also, would a 22mm strap still look good? If I go the adapter route I have another watch with 22mm lug width and so I could share straps between watches.Thanks.
    I needed to add spacers, they are easy to make. What I did was take old resin straps and cut the lug area. I suppose that using the empty space of a ball point pen would work as well, but try going to the dollar store to look for a cheapo watch and use their resin straps.A 22mm zulu would also be fine

Thread Information