Lume
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Lume

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lume

This is about watches in general, not just casio.

Unless it's using tritium or some other fancy illumination, the standard type of lume for watches was designed initially for divers right?

It's there for them to briefly pass their flashlight over and illuminate the hands/bezel and to see the data they need to see for their dives.

It was never designed to keep on your bedside table and be legible after 7 hours plus in the dark.

Yet reviewers will still mark down watches for bad lume when it was never designed for normal daily use.

Lume

I don’t get it. Why was it just for divers? Why would they need lume if they already have flashlight?

Regardless, original design or intention should have little bearing on if people think it’s good or bad in modern days. Jeans were initially designed with cowboy western lifestyle in mind, I’d still complain if they are not comfortable for my non-horseback riding non- cattle roping activities.

Technology would hardly evolve with the way you are thinking.
    ox71, Miklos86 and StephenWatch like this.

Re: Lume

Some lume is better than others. I don't mind if a reviewer points that out.

That being said, I prefer tritium.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Was radium only used on divers' watches back in the early watch days?

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

As you descend under water, the sunlight diminishes rapidly. At thirty feet for example, colors are very muted. At 100'+ it can be dim and pretty much black and white especially if it's a cloudy day. So reflectivity, high contrast and lume are a safety issue and highly desirable in a true dive watch. I believe ISO certified divers have specifications they must meet for readability. These same traits make reading any watch easier in the middle of the night, in a movie theater, at a concert or in a dark vehicle. Once you have any feature you like, you hate to give it up. Maybe that's the source of the reviewer's frustration. Yea, crap lume is, well, crap lume. Why bother? You see some pretty awesome lume on dials, hands and ceramic bezels coming out of some of the small micro brands. Personal interest in diving and attention to detail rather than a corporate bean counter make all the difference. Some of these little glow-worms are only $200. That said dive computers have pretty much replaced the dive watch, but I still like the watch as a back up when diving and well, good lume is cool for everyday, right? I swiped these Pics from the web somewhere, I'm quite sure this Helm Komodo would glow through the night on your nightstand. Most Seiko certified divers & most certified divers of any brand are likely to have the same staying power.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your focus is your reality - Qui-Gon Jinn

As others have said - regardless of why lume was first introduced to watches, nowadays most folks do use it for checking the time in the dark in their normal above-water lives.

My Citizen PMD56 has waaaay better lume than my Citizen BM8180 I used to have.

Name:  Lume.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  580.0 KB
    buddhashenglong and GaryK30 like this.

We each have differing requirements of lume and its good to hear how it rates in reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    As others have said - regardless of why lume was first introduced to watches, nowadays most folks do use it for checking the time in the dark in their normal above-water lives.

My Citizen PMD56 has waaaay better lume than my Citizen BM8180 I used to have.

Name:  Lume.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  580.0 KB
    Yes I have found with the Citizen watches I've owned that the Citizen blue lume is a significant downgrade IMHO.
    simon1003 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dantana999 View Post
    Yes I have found with the Citizen watches I've owned that the Citizen blue lume is a significant downgrade IMHO.
    Well in my case it't not just blue vs green, but also lower end vs higher end. The green lumed watch is about five times the cost of the blue lume watch.

Quote Originally Posted by dantana999 View Post
    Yes, but the PMD56 is Radio-Controlled, titanium, and sapphire, three things that definitely add significantly to the price of a watch. I just don't think that the "good" green lume is really all that more expensive than than the blue lume,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information