'Made in Japan' - but no Casio - Seiko SNZG09J1
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 'Made in Japan' - but no Casio - Seiko SNZG09J1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Off topic 'Made in Japan' - but no Casio - Seiko SNZG09J1

Hi,
    after collecting Japanese watches almost exclusively for more than 2 years (with a little break to hunt some vintage wristalarms ) I thought it was time for a watch that also was branded 'Made in Japan'. Since I couldn't afford a GW-5000 I went for a Seiko SNZG09J1 instead - also known as 'Big Military'. Even though I thought I'd never get another Seiko - mainly because of their misguided policy of not selling the good stuff in Germany . But it reminded me so much of my childhood watch - one of those cheap military green plastic Timex handwound watches (McGyver once wore one of those ) that I couldn't resist. So here it is - including some 'unwrapping pics' - if you don't like 'em (I do ) just scroll down:

I know - I left some fingerprints

And some (slightly) better pics I just took at work:

So what's there to tell after just a few hours that I got it? It wears very comfy and compared to your average G it's also very slim - sliding easily under every sleeve - might be of advantage in winter. The lume is good - wouldn't have expected otherwise - after all it's a Seiko. I really like the beadblasted case - only between the lugs and on the back it's shiny. The strap is a bit flimsy - I might just put it on a Maratac Zulu I think:

The prong looks like it was made from a paper clip - not really inspiring confidence . So far I can't tell anything about how it runs - have to check in 24 hrs. The crown is no screwdown type - it's no dive watch - but the 100m rating is certainly good enough for me. Oh, and did I mention I really love the 'Made in Japan' on the dial? Although I'm certain the standard version is of the same quality - I just wanted this one - after all it wasn't much more expensive (around 15€ more).
    Considering the name - it certainly is big - at least for my puny wrists :

Excuse the bad quality of the pics - will have to do a little photo session tomorrow in daylight.
    That's it for now - now back to the Gs !

Greetings, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; September 9th, 2010 at 01:26. Reason: typo
    Motorcycle Man likes this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Re: 'Made in Japan' - but no Casio - Seiko SNZG09J1

V cool. Thanks for the pics! I love boxfresh photos That has to be one of the clearest dials around at the moment.
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

Seiko got to be the mechanical version of G's - Japanese, sturdy, reliable, affordable and also fun to collect. Good choice Sedi
    Last edited by Txemizo; September 9th, 2010 at 01:07.
    MrSempai likes this.
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats Sedi!!!
    That watch is an all-yime classic!!!

:thanks guys! Yep - I sure hope the 7S36 is as good as its reputation . I do actually like the missing handwinding capability - handwinding an automatic watch is often not a good idea because they are just not made for it. So if you can't wind it - that's one thing less to worry about . The same is true for the crown - can't screw it down so can't ruin the threads. This thing was built to just run worry-free for ever and ever - and I sure hope it will . Time-telling at a glance is of course also excellent - I always liked those 'military inspired' dials - nice and clear. The digits don't light up btw but there is a version of this watch where they do - the SNZG17. However it doesn't really improve time-reading in darkness. On my version only the hands and the hour markers light up - enough to read time in the dark. I'll have to do a nice lume-shot, too.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

I almost bought that same model but I really wanted it in black and they didn't have it. The diver I bought instead has the same 7S36 mvmt. Doing well so far.

Great Seiko !

They make terrific automatics - wear it in good health!
    MrSempai likes this.
    Ghobbit

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    I sure hope the 7S36 is as good as its reputation .
    The 7S36 is a bit of a hit and miss movement, although very easily adjustable. I have two Seiko's, both with this movement, and one of them has been within 3 seconds a day ever since I bought it, unadjusted. Pretty good for a run of the mill movement, often wrongly compared to swiss movements much more expensive. Impressive is the word I am looking for.
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

I think I remember reading a review of the 7S26 (the little brother of the 7S36) from Walt Odets, but I can't find it anymore - maybe it was someone else but I think it was either on timezone or 'the purists' . Maybe someone knows what I mean and can post a link?
    edit: found it - it was John Davis not Walt Odets:
    http://indepth.watchprosite.com/show...ost/ti-352142/

Greetings, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; September 9th, 2010 at 02:51.
    Cheers
    Sedi

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

congratulations sedi,

this is how an analog watch should look like: pure, simple, highly legible (day and night) day and date.

i can only agree with txemizo's statement, the 7S36 is impressive, once regulated (if necessary) it put many COSC swiss movements to shame IMO.

mine says hi to yours :

regards, holger
    MrSempai likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information