Are "made in Japan" G-Shocks definitely better than other G-Shocks?
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Are "made in Japan" G-Shocks definitely better than other G-Shocks?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Are "made in Japan" G-Shocks definitely better than other G-Shocks?

I know Made in Japan Seiko's are definitely better than other Seiko's, is this also the case with Casio?
    By the way does it always mean you're paying more for G-Shocks that are made in Japan?
    If the Frogman was made in Thailand would it cost less?
    TheOneInYellow likes this.

Re: Are "made in Japan" G-Shocks definitely better than other G-Shocks?

There's no definite answer really. Casio's factories would make watches to the same standard wherever they're located.

Having said that, I think Japan made models tend to be more sought after, probably because there's less of them than say, China or Thailand models.

Also it can just be a personal thing. For example, to me, I'd always pick a Japan model if available, rather than made somewhere else. I think it's a mental thing where for some reason your brain says Japan made is better quality than anywhere else.

Someone else will probably chip in with a more detailed answer, but that's my input.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

As long as it works, I don't really care where it's made. It's still an authentic Casio with a warranty. I just don't like that the buckle says "CASIO CHINA" ... However as far as I understand it, the module is made in Japan and shipped to China to be assembled. Otherwise the "Japan Movt." woudn't make much sense to me.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some of the best G's I own are not made in Japan. For example, one of these 5000's was made in Japan, one wasn't. They are equal imo.

Name:  12818915_447625522097835_136671732_n.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  45.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by watchw View Post
    I know Made in Japan Seiko's are definitely better than other Seiko's, is this also the case with Casio?
    By the way does it always mean you're paying more for G-Shocks that are made in Japan?
    If the Frogman was made in Thailand would it cost less?
    "Definitely better?" No. I do think Casio's standards are applied to all Casio factories no matter where they are located. (but Casio employees in Japan probably feel that they produce the best products!)

In fact I would not even agree to your statement about Seikos. I have one Seiko Monster made in Japan, and one made elsewhere (with Japan movement). Guess which one has a very "finicky" crown? Yep - the one made in Japan. And btw, the one "made in Japan" costs more.

"Always" pay more for Gs made in Japan? Probably not always, but often this seems to be true. Take Japan-made GWN-1000s as an example. The ones restricted to the Japan market seem to command higher prices.
    *** Edit: On second thought, there are "made in Japan" GWN-1000s that have been exported (for sale in other markets) that are not higher-priced. It is the "JDM" versions I was thinking of, that have NOT been exported to other markets - that command higher prices. That's different than just 'made in Japan.' I've now changed my answer on this question to: not always; & not necessarily, unless the model is restricted for sale just within Japan.

"If the Frogman was made in Thailand would it cost less?" HUSH - PUT a SOCK IN IT!!! Don't even suggest such a thing! AFAIK, the Frog has always been made in Japan, and I'd like to see it stay that way.

I think the "made in Japan" issue is more of a psychological thing or preference, more than anything. I mean, Casio is a Japanese company. So if you are going to get a Casio, and especially if you have a choice, why wouldn't you want to get a piece made at Casio's flagship factory in Yamagata?? I would. That said, I have many Gs produced in Thailand, and I cannot tell any difference between them and the ones from Japan....
    Last edited by Time4Playnow; August 15th, 2017 at 19:17.
    Mrcrooka1, kubr1ck, watchw and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    "Definitely better?" No. I do think Casio's standards are applied to all Casio factories no matter where they are located. (but Casio employees in Japan probably feel that they produce the best products!)

In fact I would not even agree to your statement about Seikos. I have one Seiko Monster made in Japan, and one made elsewhere (with Japan movement). Guess which one has a very "finicky" crown? Yep - the one made in Japan. And btw, the one "made in Japan" costs more.

"Always" pay more for Gs made in Japan? Probably not always, but often this seems to be true. Take Japan-made GWN-1000s as an example. The ones restricted to the Japan market seem to command higher prices.

"If the Frogman was made in Thailand would it cost less?" HUSH - PUT a SOCK IN IT!!! Don't even suggest such a thing! AFAIK, the Frog has always been made in Japan, and I'd like to see it stay that way.

I think the "made in Japan" issue is more of a psychological thing or preference, more than anything. I mean, Casio is a Japanese company. So if you are going to get a Casio, and especially if you have a choice, why wouldn't you want to get a piece made at Casio's flagship factory in Yamagata?? I would. That said, I have many Gs produced in Thailand, and I cannot tell any difference between them and the ones from Japan....
    And of course, one must decide on how much of a premium for the Japanese-made version is worth it.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Im thinking of the word "heritage" and i hope its correct.

i have oakley sunglasses thats made in the usa, doc marten's shoes thats made in england, crocs sandals made in canada (mostly all are manufactured in china now) im sure the quality stays the same (maybe even surpass some), but buying a product where it was originally made, makes it a little more special to me. i only own 1 made in japan g, but im good, no need to burden my wallet any further.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

While the market seems to prize "Made in Japan" more highly - they are willing to pay more, obviously - the actual provenance of a marked country of origin is often masked by their laws.

One such item is that if the factory in question assembling a movement has a Japanese citizen as it's head, and the movements shipped to Japan where the are cased in local production, the watch is considered "Made in Japan." The movement could actually be entirely made offshore. Seiko does do this.

On of the connected issues with watch buyers is they give a lot less significance to the movement, and a lot more to the case, strap, and dial. Take the example of a watch made entirely by the maker with it's movement priced at $225, and one made by others with that same identical movement made in the same offshore factory, in a micro brand case, runs over $300. Or branded Invicta for $85.

People pay for branding and looks more than the substance of the watch. That is the issue. The reason they are willing to do so goes to social implications more than the technical excellence of the watch in most situations. In short - bragging rights, and mostly, to themselves. Its not likely they speak of it all day long at work or in social situations at all. Their friends and family will quickly turn it off.

But - they get to do it in places like this, and sometimes it gets obtuse, wielded like a weapon to establish social order and take a place in it.

If someone wants to buy Made in Japan it's fine with most of us, it's those sneaky little hints where the post the full name of the watch with country of origin or market suffix that we start to see some of it. In other cases the Brand alone carries all the gravitas the owner intends to display.

This is how some watch brands remain on the market despite the fact they are steeped in retro technology that became outdated in the 1970's. Their provenance by name and origin carries social weight. Now, does Casio and G Shock? In comparison, it's a niche issue and it is used by Casio to help their incountry distribution. I sometimes wonder if their JDM watches are bundled off to middlemen for sale overseas more than locally. The world demand can certainly be higher in many cases and the exporters get to share in the profit by taking the risks protecting the local sellers.

For the most part, tho, you can get almost any basic model in the US as so many of the JDM versions are just dressed in different clothing. But that goes right back to people willing to pay more - I recently purchased on model in plain black for $85 but the grey shaded gel version is closer to $145. That is an upcharge of $60 for softer transparent polymer parts which don't cost more than a dollar more in materials.

But, it is what the market will bear.
    watchw likes this.

I felt this way about Orient watches because the two that I have are Japan-only watches. I didn't like the models being sold here in America. I'm thinking these Japanese watch companies have a misconceived opinion about what we like and don't like. Perhaps its all in my head but when I see so many beautiful square G-Shocks, Orient Stars, and Seiko SARBs only available outside my country and usually bought without warranty I wonder what they're thinking when deciding which models aren't worth trying to sell to us.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

I concur, I had a SARB and a couple Stars a few years back, not because they were JDM, but because I liked the style and they was no US alternative for them. I don't know how they decide these things but those making the calls seem to keep all the ones I like in Japan.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast