Magnificent Manaslu

Thread: Magnificent Manaslu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Magnificent Manaslu

I wanted to post this earlier - I've had my newest arrival a little more than a week now but have been too swamped to take some pics. I have worn it pretty much every day except the weekend, and have completely fallen for it.

I should start I wasn't originally in the market for a Pro Trek or PathFinder, but instead was looking for a nice all digital MR-G. I love the classics like MRG-100, -110 and -200 but like many others who have posted before, I really would like to see a modernized update. I can imagine a digital MR-G with tough solar, atomic, multi-functional, current time visible in all modes, titanium band and case or other high-end material like DLC, with some protective anti-scratch coating, sapphire crystal w/ anti-reflective coating - pretty much a digital form of the modern analog MR-G's. However, such a watch may not be offered anytime soon.

I saw the marketing shots of the new Pro Trek Prestige models, but they didn't call my name.... instead it was solely due to the beautiful photos here on WUS that turned me on to this piece (big surprise there). Then I checked the specs - atomic, solar, titanium band and bezel (but I don't think the case is, it looks like the standard 'resin sandwich' surrounded by Ti), Ti has protective coating, anti-reflective sapphire crystal, very multi-functional, and current time is visible in all but one of the modes! I admit it clearly is not a G-Shock, and has a completely different kind of look, but man is it one sharp looking watch! The display is crisp, nice large digits, and couldn't be easier to read. Another thing, even though it is a pretty large watch at 47.7mm wide, but very thin at 11.3mm, it fits very comfortably on the wrist. It is very lightweight and easy to forget it's on, and slides under most of my shirt cuffs pretty easily. This could be the primary watch for the office, and already had a few nice comments last week. I never get comments on watches, so it was a surprise this one did!

Don't get me wrong - I still want a modern digi MRG, but for now this one is awesome. So - on with the pics!

Splendid backplate:

I never thought I'd find Sunrise/Sunset mode useful, but I use it all the time! Naturally it switched automatically when we changed to standard time yesterday

I know compass pics have been posted before, but the duplex LCD is very cool to watch

A nice surprise for us Americans, this JDM model DOES know how to display in Fahrenheit and Feet!!

And of course some wristers

Re: Magnificent Manaslu

jon, nice writeup, i enjoyed reading it. it's funny what watches firends and coworkers choose to comment on- often the least "wis-ey" of the collection. agree with your thought process. casio's most capable digital watch is indeed not a g-shock at the moment, but how dearly i'd love it to be. and yeah, this is a small point i've seen misstated before, but it is only when the home timezone is set to tokyo that the units are not switchable (to the best of my google-translated manual reading).

duplex, sunrise sunset, thin, metal, mb 6 and solar. very capable!
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

John and Tom, I agree with your thoughts on this watch! I got mine specifically for the winter, where all the layers make it tough to fit my G-Shocks and massive Protreks under all those sleeve layers.

It's clear and easy to read:

And thin!

--Greg

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys! :thanks

Greg I think it was your pics that did it for me!

BTW, one of the nice comments I got on this watch was someone with a T-Touch. He loved the Manaslu's clean lines, and especially how thin it was. Then I told him it was solar powered and he almost fell over.

I wonder if that's the market Casio is going with this Prestige series... I mean this is a fully capable watch, and I am sure it'll do fine in outdoor adventures. But I might be more comfortable beating up a Riseman or cheaper Pathy. Doesn't matter - that's not what I got this one for.

The other impact this watch has had on me is now I am looking at the other Pro Treks/Pathfinders. When does it end???

Wow! What a looker. That thing is gorgeous. Congrats, man, what a great purchase.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

That is SWEET!

sapphire crystal with AR coating?
    Last edited by stockae92; November 2nd, 2009 at 22:12.

Very sharp looking model! Congratulations and enjoy.

Congratulations JonL !

This model is beyond beautiful in my opinion.

Just yesterday I posted about how I've purposely been avoiding Pro Treks & PathFinders, since I've got a long and happy history with Suunto. Plus I could easily get out of control and buy several of these, so I decided to test my willpower. Willpower & watches... heh, who am I kidding. Then you buy one and make it even harder to resist after this nice array of pics. At this point, I'm nearly toast...ha..ha..ha...

Quote Originally Posted by JonL View Post
    I've had my newest arrival a little more than a week.

I should start I wasn't originally in the market for a Pro Trek or PathFinder, but instead was looking for a nice all digital MR-G.

Then we have GREG!

He shows us this view, which completely blows me away. I had no idea that it would be so thin. Oh yes I read the specs, but until you see this picture.... well.

Someome pass me the ranch dressing, I may be eating my words....

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by GregNYC View Post
    John and Tom, I agree with your thoughts on this watch! I got mine specifically for the winter, where all the layers make it tough to fit my G-Shocks and massive Protreks under all those sleeve layers.

It's clear and easy to read:

And thin!

Very nice looking fully capable ABC watch, wear it in good health!

Konrad.

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."

-- GK Chesterton

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information