maintaining G shock battery level
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: maintaining G shock battery level

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

maintaining G shock battery level

Hoping someone has some experience with this. I know every room is different based on the lighting and such. so its just a General type question I guess.

would the lighting in a bedroom be enough to maintain the charge on a G-Shock Rangeman? I have had mine a little over a year and never worried about the battery after I let it charge fully after purchasing it. I often put it on for the weekends as I would be off to the shooting range or in the woods or just doing something in general that I didn't want to wear my Orange Monster for (my daily watch). this always was good enough. however, last few months (I'm bad with time, but 6 month or more would be a good estimate). I have not worn it at all. and I had left it in a box with no lighting not really thinking much about it (didn't realize how long I would be going without wearing it, or how long it had been). I pulled it out this weekend and it was dead. so dead in fact, that after leaving it outside for an entire work day and part of the next, it was only at medium, and everything had reset. it saved nothing... that's pretty dead.

so I am thinking, if the lighting in my bedroom, being on all day (other than at night when sleeping) would keep it charged up, maybe I can take a watch out of my watch box (its full, and I don't wear half of what's in there), and put this in it (clear top). maybe it will stay charged. I don't like leaving it on window sills and such. everything in my house has to have a place. if that makes sense.

Re: maintaining G shock battery level

It's going to depend on how bright your bedroom lighting is.

Name:  GW-9400 charging chart.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  49.4 KB

As that chart shows, it's going to take approximately 18 hours of SUNLIGHT to get all the way to high -- you said it was "outside" for a day and a half. If it was cloudy it's going to take even longer, but Casio estimates 23 hours of sun to go from "dead" to "full."

Also according to that chart, 8 hours a day of indoor fluorescent lighting should be enough of a "maintenance charge" to offset Casio's normal daily estimated use of the alarm and backlight. If your bedroom light is brighter than Casio's 500 lux estimate, it won't need the full 8 hours; if it's not as bright it will need more time.

My advice, based on my multiple solar/atomic watches, is to put the watch outside until it hits "high," then leave it another 5 hours if it's sunny and longer if it's cloudy to get it to "full." (When people stop charging their watch as soon as it hits "H" they're back in a week asking why it's on "M" again. ) After it's fully charged, IF you don't wear it enough and it drops to "medium" in a few months, just charge it again the same way -- before it gets to "low" or below!
    HoosierTrooper likes this.

listen, I'm trying to be lazy here. :-P

I have a Citizen Eco drive that is a no frills watch that I love because I swear that watch only needs to charge for 1 minuted every 345 years. lol.

I left my G shock out again most all of yesterday. just got it back inside this morning. Its on high but I will probably put it out again just to try and top it off.
    Plasticmonky likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I usually put my watches under my desktop lamp, so they can charge while I work!

I have a G-shock tough solar that is flashing CHG that was in a dark environment for a while and for a couple of weeks it's been on a window sill and it still flashes CHG. There is no time showing at all but the module makes it seem like if it is in level 4 timekeeping should be displayed. Is that correct?

Also it is in the sun now so how soon will it get to level 3 where it will flash LOW and at least show the time?

Quote Originally Posted by tic-toc/g-shock View Post
    I have a G-shock tough solar that is flashing CHG that was in a dark environment for a while and for a couple of weeks it's been on a window sill and it still flashes CHG. There is no time showing at all but the module makes it seem like if it is in level 4 timekeeping should be displayed. Is that correct?

Also it is in the sun now so how soon will it get to level 3 where it will flash LOW and at least show the time?
    The rate of charge would be model dependent owing to variation in the charging panel size.

If the time does not show even if you put it under the sun, you likely need a new battery.

I would think as long as it is in level 4 the battery is not dead or else it would be in level 5 with nothing showing or flashing. BTW this is a watch that is only a few years old and rarely worn. Having said that I have a GW5600 I bought way back in 2005/2006 and it has the original battery and still works and is always on HIGH. I seriously doubt the battery has failed. I just want to know if any Casio solar that is flashing CHG will also show the time or does it need to get to level 3 or LOW before the time is displayed?
    Last edited by tic-toc/g-shock; February 10th, 2016 at 17:41.

Different models of solar G's take different amounts of time to charge, because the solar panels on different models are slightly different sizes.

If you're talking about "level 3" and "level 4" it sounds like you've already at least LOOKED at the manual -- what does the manual say, and what model number is your watch?

Is the watch actually IN the sun now, or is it still on a windowsill and the sun is out? If it's still on a windowsill, is the sun shining ON the watch?

How long was it in a "dark environment?" If it was a year or two, there's a small chance that the battery will need to be replaced, but most G's bounce back after enough exposure to light.

I just want to know if any Casio solar that is flashing CHG will also show the time or does it need to get to level 3 or LOW before the time is displayed?
    Again, this probably depends on the particular model, since Casio has changed the way they've built their solar and solar/atomic watches in the ~15 years they've been building them.

The GW-6900 manual claims that only the timekeeping display will work when "CHG" is flashing (which is level 4), while all functions and display indicators are disabled.

It's in the sun now but it is partly cloudy so not the ideal setting to charge the watch. Maybe it was in dark environment for 6-7 months tops. The model is the G-5600KG-3

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information