Make the Ultimate G-Shock Tough Test Videos?

Thread: Make the Ultimate G-Shock Tough Test Videos?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Make the Ultimate G-Shock Tough Test Videos?

We've discussed tough test videos in the past, and there's been some good ideas and attempts. But I think we could come up with something really awesome. And it would be fun to make it a combined effort to create the ultimate series of tough tests and put them on video.

It's an idea I've been playing around with for a long time, and I just found a company that would be willing to supply all the G-Shocks and other brand watches needed (for free - if we give them credit for providing them). So we can do a real competition to see how G-Shocks hold up compared to other major brand watches.

What do you guys think?

We can make it happen, but the ideas have to be good enough that someone would actually want to watch them.

Re: Make the Ultimate G-Shock Tough Test Videos?

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    We've discussed tough test videos in the past, and there's been some good ideas and attempts. But I think we could come up with something really awesome. And it would be fun to make it a combined effort to create the ultimate series of tough tests and put them on video.

It's an idea I've been playing around with for a long time, and I just found a company that would be willing to supply all the G-Shocks and other brand watches needed (for free - if we give them credit for providing them). So we can do a real competition to see how G-Shocks hold up compared to other major brand watches.

What do you guys think?

We can make it happen, but the ideas have to be good enough that someone would actually want to watch them.
    Cool! Get me a G and a Rolex Sub and I'll do my best to beat the hell out of both of them.
    Wear what you like.

count me in!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Of course! Everyone want to see how G-SHOCK will cope with difficulties. :D
    How we can help?
    Have a great day!

Sounds intriguing, Riley. I won't participate though, I'm squeamish about watch entrails.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
    Cool! Get me a G and a Rolex Sub and I'll do my best to beat the hell out of both of them.
    I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I think needlessly beating up Rolexes is just too mean (and expensive). Let the Rolex owners beat themselves up over it.

Quote Originally Posted by TraseUno View Post
    count me in!
    Thanks for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by kurzjak View Post
    Of course! Everyone want to see how G-SHOCK will cope with difficulties. :D
    How we can help?
    I hope we all would like to see how tough our G-Shocks really are, but without wantonly destroying our own possessions. What we need now is fun and exciting ideas for demonstrating why we love the toughness of G-Shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Sounds intriguing, Riley. I won't participate though, I'm squeamish about watch entrails.
    I feel you, and I understand anyone not wanting to encourage the destruction of timepieces. With this project I hope to source only watches that would be unsellable in a retail situation, but still fully functional (minor cosmetic issues and what have you). Even then it might not be something for everyone. I'm just a big fan of G-Shocks and I think it should be a good way to win over some more fans. If some lesser watches have to die in the process, then so be it.

And BTW, I'm not advocating the destruction of any G-Shocks. I think the true purpose of these tests should be to test the limits of G-Shock toughness without actually destroying them. That's why it takes some careful thought for planning the tests, and the consideration of real life physics. They are tougher than any other watch, but they are not indestructible.
    Last edited by Riley; January 4th, 2011 at 23:15.

My instant reaction is - I approve! Well done on getting a source of the watches too.

Random thoughts to throw into the mix:

1) Fakes. Show what a real 6900 can cope with compared to a fake one. Do the 10x10x10 test on almost anything else and see what happens.

2) To find out people to watch, see what topics excite YouTube viewers most. From a cursory glance, it's crashes, kittens, babies, and more crashes. And a few blenders. So throw in some insane downhillers/skaters/insert extreme sport here, and see what happens.

3) Various mini-stories could be involved. The more Monty Python, the better. Take the p... out of common TV advert or programme formats. Get someone to dress up as Nigella Lawson in drag and have him(her) bake different culinary concoctions with Gs as the ingredients. Pastiche and fun and crashes. And Nigella Lawson. Sounds good to me.

I could make this up for hours. But you get the idea. Fun plus the scientific tests all rolled together.
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine View Post
    I could make this up for hours. But you get the idea. Fun plus the scientific tests all rolled together.
    Great ideas Maine. I like the mix of fun and science. Maybe we can make more than one video to appeal to both ends of the spectrum.

Comparing some fakes is a good idea. How do we get one though? I don't want to buy one, so how do we get it without supporting the fake sellers?

Animals, babies and extreme sports all seem like hot topics that could garner attention.

It would be fun to give the watches a story or plot line of some kind. I'm open to any silly scenarios (BTW - has anyone tried doing adult watch videos? ).

Keep the ideas coming.

I'd like to do some kind of runoff poll for idea submissions, as well as tough tester volunteers. I can't promise anything yet, but if this project takes off maybe we can give out some free G-Shocks as prizes for those involved.

It would be cool to make this an international effort, and ship out watches for testing around the world.
    Last edited by Riley; January 5th, 2011 at 00:32.

count me in!!!

MUDPROOF!!! TEST MUDMAN...

Grab it to my Jeep and Mud the heck out of him...

Then Clean all the Mud and see the result...

Quote Originally Posted by MiguelAyako View Post
    Grab it to my Jeep and Mud the heck out of him...

Then Clean all the Mud and see the result...
    Hmmm...

That would be a great tough test. And I think a G-Shock would survive it, but depending on the exact conditions encountered by the G. It can take the pressure of a the vehicle's weight, but if it's concentrated on a pointy rock in the ground that might crack the crystal. The mud would be no bid deal though, if it doesn't include pointy rocks. It would be fun to see a G-Shock, and another watch, duct taped to a Jeep tire and driven through the rough.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information