Man down!
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Man down!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

Man down!

Hey guys

I was examining my Gs a few minutes ago, and it seems my GW-6900-1ER has taken some battle damage I hadn't previously noticed.

If you see the images below you'll see that the glass (and therefore the whole module I'm assuming) has sunk down.

I have another of these in yellow that only goes swimming in the summer and doesn't involve itself with serious abuse like the 1ER does, and this one's glass sits snug to the resin bezel.

I've had this baby for around six years or so, and as I've said elsewhere on the forum, it's had a tough life. I figured it had handled the intense vibrations, impacts etc. with no problem but it now appears even a G Shock can be broken.

Has anyone else had a similar 'injury'? Can it be easily fixed?

Any experiences you guys can share will be very much appreciated as always!

N1
    Ash (G killer)

Re: Man down!

I wouldn't consider it broken... g-shocks doesn't break, everyone knows that

Best would be to take the bezel of and look why that happened. Maybe it's just the bezel that moved.
    CanonMan likes this.

Banned

I'm not sure the bezel can move as it appears to be part of the case. I'm pretty sure the glass/module that's dropped.

Thanks for the input!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The bezel is not part of the case. It's more there to protect the case than anything else. The glass forms a smooth flat edge on the case. It's perfectly flush. If the glass had "sunken down" inside the case, you would lose all water resistance. It looks like the bezel has moved or possibly expanded due to the elements it has been exposed to. the bezel is easily removed by the taking out the four screws on each side.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

yeah what Tsip says, strip the bezel (= resin case covering the watch module) off which is usually real easy and without risk, and see what's going on underneath. Sling some pics up of what lies beneath and I'm sure the prob will be analysed in full. To me it looks odd. Do the buttons appear to be coming through their resin holes as normal or is the resin putting pressure on them, suggesting the resin outer has moved in relation to the module within.
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsip85 View Post
    The bezel is not part of the case. It's more there to protect the case than anything else. The glass forms a smooth flat edge on the case. It's perfectly flush. If the glass had "sunken down" inside the case, you would lose all water resistance. It looks like the bezel has moved or possibly expanded due to the elements it has been exposed to. the bezel is easily removed by the taking out the four screws on each side.
    As Tsip85 said, the bezel is not part of the case, and is easily removed by taking out the four screws on each side, then carefully prying the soft(er), flexible bezel outwards and over each button one at a time.

Attachment 1005694

I have the same gap on my GW-6900 as well, my less-than-a-year old DW-5600, and was just surprised to see a similar gap between the metal inner bezel and the glass on my GW-2310.

If anything, that gap is a good thing when it comes to shock resistance -- the bezel has a little room to deform and absorb shock before touching the glass. It's similar to the difference between the "5 mph bumpers" on today's cars and the old rigid bumpers from the 1950's that had no room to compress before squashing the bodywork!

Banned

Thanks for help guys. I will do as you suggest.

The buttons appear to be coming through their holes ok, but on closer inspection it appears that the whole bezel has somehow expanded or at least detached itself from its normal position:

Im not usually a watch tinkerer, so I'll need to get me some appropriate tools. I'll post back up shortly once I'm ready to go.

Banned

Seems you guys are bang on. The Bezel would appear to be deformed.

The image above is super helpful, and gives me much greater insight. Sorry for the lack of understanding chaps - I usually concentrate all my time on abusing these things rather than trying to fix them!

I guess I'll be looking for a new bezel.
    CanonMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Li View Post
    I've had this baby for around six years or so
    This model was introduced in 2009.

I guess you're a time traveller from 2007.
    Last edited by entropy96; March 12th, 2013 at 18:10.
    Ash Li likes this.
    Current Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay (on OEM bracelet) | Rado Original Automatic 648.0408.3.161 | Royal Orient WE0011JB | Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005 | Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR

G-Shock collection:
    GW-M5630E-9JR, GA-400-4A, DW-6900SG, GW-5000-1JF, GWF-1000-1DR, GW-200Z-1DR, GW-9200-1, GX-56-1B, G-5600E, G-6900-1, DW-5600MS, G-7302RL (non-functioning)

Wishlist:
    Credor ​Eichi (when pigs fly) | Credor ​Eichi II (when fishes talk) | FP Journe Chronometre Bleu (acquired) | Urban Jurgensen & Sonner Ref. 3 (acquired) | D.Dornbluth & Sohn Cal. 99.5 (acquired) | Moritz Grossmann BENU Rose Gold ​(acquired)

**Sig limit reached...**

Quote Originally Posted by entropy96 View Post
    This model was introduced in 2009.

I guess you're a time traveller from 2007.

hahaha I love deadpan but remember no-one likes a smartypants.

Give him a break, he's been in mourning for what he thought was a fatally wounded G. It would screw anyone's dates up a bit.

Sedi likes this.
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information