Manufacture Date

Thread: Manufacture Date

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Manufacture Date

Hi Guy's, can anyone help me figure out the manufacture date for my newly acquired DW-5600E. I was hoping it was an older model. I'm really liking this one and even though I've had a few in the past, and sold them on, I think this one is a keeper.

Last edited by Allwayspting; September 18th, 2010 at 02:35.

Re: Manufacture Date

It's really tough to figure out the manufacture date without a serial number usually (and even then it's not that straightforward). It's much easier with limited editions that had a known production date range.

The DW-5600E-1 has been in continuous production since 1996, and I don't think there's been any huge changes or a serial number ever printed on them.

The "Made in China" and "Y" stamp would probably be the biggest clues. These watches probably don't sit around too long brand new in the box usually, so that might be a good way to find a starting point (if you knew when it was first purchased).

Anybody know when these were first produced in China? I don't think they were the first few years, but I could be wrong. Some of the experts here might have more insight into this one.

It's a nice G no matter what.

Hi Riley, THX so much for your insight. I wish Casio would use a serial system similar to Seiko. That way we would be able to track down the year and month quite easily

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can guess the year of manufacture of DW-5600e by the country where it was made.

DW-5600e replaced DW-5600c in 1996. Prior to this nearly all G-Shocks were made in Japan. Just like in USA, so-called "free trade agreements" like those promoted by the WTO opened the doors in the mid-1990s to Casio Japan moving production overseas.

DW-5600e was made in Korea during its first year in production (1996), and through the late 1990s.

For a few years after the turn of the century, say from approximately 2000-2004, production shifted to Malaysia.

After that production moved to Thailand. I believe the DW-5600e models with "20bar" on dials, produced for the Japanese market, are still made in Thailand today.

It's only been in the last couple years that 200m versions of DW-5600e, and the standard edition DW-6900, sold in the USA in stores like Walmart, have been made in China.

Throughout the last decade, from time-to-time, limited edition DW-5600 models, for instance DW-5600VTJAXA-1TJR from 2006, are actually "made in Japan."

In addition to country of manufacture stamped on casebacks, other clues that help identify the date of manufacture can be found in the types of cases or boxes the watches come in, and in hints found in user manuals.

I find it kind of sad that DW-5600e is associated with chasing cheap labor across Asia, but I suppose looked at another way that makes it a quintessential product of our times. Quality standards remain high no matter where the model is made.

Bryan
    GMT+9
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by b_andersen; September 18th, 2010 at 18:11. Reason: clarity

That's very comprehensive info there b_andersen! I really enjoyed the comparison
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

interesting info

Great work Bryan.

I was hoping someone had compiled this sort of information. That's some good research. It should prove useful for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Allwayspting View Post
    I wish Casio would use a serial system similar to Seiko. That way we would be able to track down the year and month quite easily
    Quite a few G-Shocks have serial numbers, but it's generally only on the more expensive ones now. It's a trade-off for the great prices on G-Shocks I guess.
    Last edited by Riley; September 18th, 2010 at 16:15.

Hi Bryan, your post was very informative and very well written. Thank You for taking the time to give me a better understanding of DW-5600E manufacturing timeframe.

All the best
    Neil

Quite a few G-Shocks have serial numbers, but it's generally only on the more expensive ones now. It's a trade-off for the great prices on G-Shocks I guess.
    I agree Riley. Back in the 1960s, the Orient Watch Company, for instance, actually charged extra for models with serial numbers and promoted that as a big deal! Besides bragging rights, the advantage for the customer was in identifying the watch if it was stolen, rather than identifying the date of manufacture.

It's similar with G-Shocks today, although my $60 GW5600J has a serial number, but it was originally, upon initial release, a little pricey and produced for the Japanese market (20Bar WR and "J" in the model number).

--Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Allwayspting View Post
    Hi Bryan, your post was very informative and very well written. Thank You for taking the time to give me a better understanding of DW-5600E manufacturing timeframe.
    My pleasure Neil. As you might have noticed I'm kind of obsessed with this topic .

BTW, I like DW5600e very much! It's sort of like a pair of Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars or Levis 501 jeans. Simple, classic design, never goes out of style, comfortable to wear and affordable. Always cool and always in good taste!

--Bryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by b_andersen; September 18th, 2010 at 19:06. Reason: added pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information