Marine Gear Band Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike K

Thread: Marine Gear Band Help

Marine Gear Band Help

I hope you are all doing well. I enjoy so many threads on this forum and I am frequently jealous of a lot of you and your G-Shock Collections! I am here today seeking help for an old watch that I have brought back to life. Although a casio, it is not a G-shock, but a marine gear version with a depth gauge. I apologize as I was unable to post a picture due to a lack of posts from my account. The watch is essentially a flat backed watch with a resin band that seems to have internal screws as there is no outside access to the screws of the band. My problem is that in my travels across the country and my lack of diving the last few years, the band has been cut in half and the clasp seems to be brittle and rotted. I found a possible replacement on tiktok, but my question to you all is, does anyone know if there is a way to put another strap on here (such as a zulu) and how would I go about that since the screws appear to be internal? I can not find anything on the internet regarding this watch. Thank you in advance.

Re: Marine Gear Band Help

You'll only need a few more posts until the forum software realizes that you're not a spammer and starts allowing you to post pictures! (If the forum software were REALLY smart, it would realize that most spammers wouldn't create an account and then wait four months to begin spamming, but anyhow....)

Without pictures (so far!) is there any way you can give us the model number so we know exactly WHICH Marine Gear watch we're talking about?

Over the years, Casio has used quite a few different ways of attaching straps to their watches, from simple springbars to some really clever (or devious) methods that require special tools and/or knowledge of how they work.

My search only bring two models with depth meter, an mrt-200 our the mrs-300 and they both look like the strap is a simple spring bars! But we really need pictures! Because if is one of this two, a nato will feat great on it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am sorry. I meant to include that. It is the MRS-301. Module 2385.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronmehl View Post
    I am sorry. I meant to include that. It is the MRS-301. Module 2385.
    Thanks!

According to Pacparts' normally VERY accurate parts database, it looks like that model uses normal springbars to attach the strap: Casio MRS301-2EV Parts and Accessories

Thanks to Google and eBay, I was able to find this picture of the back of a MRS-301 -- the springbars should sit about where I added the red lines in the right photo, and fit into the corresponding holes in the case, like the one visible at the upper left.

Name:  mrs 301.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  394.2 KB

Currently ordering spring tool and looking for adapter and Zulu/Nato strap. Thank you for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by aaronmehl View Post
    Currently ordering spring tool and looking for adapter and Zulu/Nato strap. Thank you for the help!
    Adapters and a Zulu or NATO strap (they're two different styles and one of them doesn't always fit with adapters) could be problematic -- I had been focusing more on the "how to replace the existing strap with another one made for that model."

Many companies make and sell adapters for G-Shocks, which traditionally use smaller spring bars to span narrower lug distances than those found on other watches.

You'll want to start by measuring the lug-to-lug distance (which is the same as the length of the imaginary red line I drew on that picture). If it's much wider than 16mm, MOST G-Shock adapters aren't going to fit.

Even if the lugs are 16-18mm apart, adapters still may not fit -- the adapters need to fit in the lugs almost perfectly so that the holes in the adapters line up with the holes in the lugs. Since the lugs are the "width" now the length and height need to match up too, or at least be close. While you can shave a small amount of material off the adapters to make them fit better, you can't shave off too much in any direction before you turn that hole into a slot.

It's probably going to be easier to stay with a "stock" strap, but if you decide that you want to try adapters I'd recommend ordering some of the inexpensive ones to start. Those three links above should be enough to get you started, and post some pictures when you're done so we can see how the project turns out?
    jaysandkays likes this.

Thread Information