Marlin diver modified with Seiko insert.
Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By Mitch100
  • 1 Post By Mitch100

Thread: Marlin diver modified with Seiko insert.

Marlin diver modified with Seiko insert.

A few weeks ago I spotted a cheap MDV-102 Marlin Diver. It did not have a strap but I thought it would be good to wear as a pretty stylish beater on a Nato. These 'super illuminator' Marlins are now fairly desirable now, given how cheap they were to buy when new. They don't seem to crop up as often as you would think as I pretty sure there were loads sold.

However, even when I fitted a new battery I could not get the watch to run, the light works but no movement. Pity really as the watch is in great condition clear crystal and very few marks on the bezel. Still I was only £20 down and I thought I would keep my eye open for a cheap one with a working module, which I could then swap.

Not long after on popped up and I got it for a good price and here it is.

Well you will no doubt notice that it is actually wearing a Seiko divers insert, which is pretty amazing since it doesn’t fit the Casio!

Looks ok otherwise case not bad, the strap is very good.

So how did he get the bezel to fit? Well it appears he has glued it on top of the original bezel. He has made a good job of it actually and you would not be able to tell unless you were looking for it specifically.

Indeed I think I will probably keep it and wear it in this state for a while because I already have a pristine MDV-102 with all the boxes and papers, that I wear from time to time.

I can always swap the strap and module over into the other dead watch, when I am ready.

Here is the modified watch on the wrist.

Any thoughts?

Mitch
    GaryK30, g-fob2, Worker and 5 others like this.

Re: Marlin diver modified with Seiko insert.

Not much interest in these MDV-102 divers then?

Mitch

Much interest 🙂

I missed the retail availability of the MDV-102 by a few years, unfortunately. Hell of a watch. Like you said, they sold loads, and for ages the going rate was around $50. These days, you’re lucky if you can get one for that price without a rashed up crystal.

Despite the unusual, busy bezel markings, it manages to be an understated watch. The build quality is head and shoulders above other similarly priced quartz divers.

Casio sells a whole variety of MTD divers, with 100m water resistance, and no screw-down crown (including the awesome MTD-1080, loaded with style but as a dive watch it’s not so technical). The MDV-106 is a worthy successor, but instead of standing out from the oversized 43mm crowd, the 106 has *joined* the crowd.

Glad to hear you’ve got yourself an MDV-102 for daily wear. I’ve been rocking my 1080 on a bracelet all week. Somebody, maybe TGV on YouTube, said that stainless bracelets make a big watch wear smaller, and you know what, it’s absolutely true.

Here’s hoping the next MDV release can be a midsize. Given the rising prices of used 102s in wearable condition, I think the demand is clear. As much as I dig it, I don’t think the funky bezel is the reason those prices keep creeping upward.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Doesn’t the MDV-102 need two batteries to be replaced? One is the light, one is the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by carpoon View Post
    Doesn’t the MDV-102 need two batteries to be replaced? One is the light, one is the movement.
    No, it uses a CR2016.

Mitch
    Dxnnis likes this.

Thread Information