Mastermind GWF-1000 Frogman Heads Up - Page 5
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Mastermind GWF-1000 Frogman Heads Up

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch100 View Post
    That watch has not had the Duratect treatment but for sure is all Titanium. The Mastermind is marked as Duratect on the back.

I think you are getting mixed up with cheap watches which sometimes say 'base metal with SS back' or something similar.

Mitch
    Listen.. I'm not trying to argue. I've worked on watches for 5 years now.. there's definitely a difference between Titanium and Base Titanium when it comes to Citizen bands/cases. Base Titanium is absolutely not 100% solid titanium. The link I posted shows Titanium for the case material but the case back itself says Base Titanium. What I'm trying to clarify is there's a big difference between the two. Maybe it's different with JDM models (and I don't claim to know anything about them) but when it comes to US models, base titanium is not solid titanium.

Re: Mastermind GWF-1000 Frogman Heads Up

Base Titanium= Titanium top stainless steel inner.

Titanium Base: 100% Titanium with protective coating such as Duratect.

So perhaps it is just a matter of the order of the words. Could be a bad translation and this watch is truly 100% Ti, who knows...

EDIT: I just noticed that it is on the actual back case of the watch, then there is a high chance that it is not fully 100% Titanium.
    Last edited by Joakim Agren; October 1st, 2012 at 23:39.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Quote Originally Posted by Shocker View Post
    Listen.. I'm not trying to argue. I've worked on watches for 5 years now.. there's definitely a difference between Titanium and Base Titanium when it comes to Citizen bands/cases. Base Titanium is absolutely not 100% solid titanium. The link I posted shows Titanium for the case material but the case back itself says Base Titanium. What I'm trying to clarify is there's a big difference between the two. Maybe it's different with JDM models (and I don't claim to know anything about them) but when it comes to US models, base titanium is not solid titanium.
    These are full Titanium watches.

If they were not and were just plated steel they would weigh the same as full SS watches. They do not.

Citizen watches say base titanium on the watch and band and they make some expensive watches with their Attesa brand many having the Duratect treatment and full DLC and costing about $1500 dollars new. Their JDM watches say the same.

They are also much lighter than an equivalent SS steel watch. What are they made of if not Titanium to achieve such lightness?

What metal could be being used that is as light as Ti? It is certainly not steel because they would be much heavier

Casio MRGs, PRX and Oceanus watches also say base titanium, which again are very light watches for their size. Are you claiming that Casio are charging over $2000 dollars for watches that are partly made of base metals?

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch100; October 2nd, 2012 at 00:59.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Auction ending today. Current price is out of control, and someone is even offering to buy it for ¥200,000. This thing might go over ¥250,000, possibly ¥300K... Yikes!

Last edited by kiwidj; October 6th, 2012 at 01:14.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidj View Post
    Auction ending in today. Current price is out of control, and someone is even offering to buy it for ¥200,000. This thing might go over ¥250,000, possibly ¥300K... Yikes!
    I really wanted one of these when they came out. I knew what would happen with the price given the issue number of only 200 and the collaboration with Mastermind an iconic brand.

However, there seemed no way to get one in the West as they were all preordered.

Now I dont fancy paying over $3000, as the upside is very much reduced.

I did leap on the only other Mastermind Gs and that turned out to be a good decision as the price of these has also shot through the roof.

Mitch
    kiwidj and Feisar like this.

I really wanted one of these when they came out. I knew what would happen with the price given the issue number of only 200 and the collaboration with Mastermind an iconic brand.

However, there seemed no way to get one in the West as they were all preordered.

Now I dont fancy paying over $3000, as the upside is very much reduced.

I did leap on the only other Mastermind Gs and that turned out to be a good decision as the price of these has also shot through the roof.

Mitch
    Very nice, Mitch! I didn't know you had these. They're obviously too special to wear, so keep'em in good nick.

seen that box for around £500 at a few places.

I think it was a valentines release if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by cs12 View Post
    seen that box for around £500 at a few places.

I think it was a valentines release if I remember correctly.
    It was indeed a Valentines release and available in the West.

If you know anywhere were you can currently pick this set up for £500 please let me know as I will buy in an instant.

The last sale I saw was for just the 6900 Mastermind and it was for a $1000.

Mitch

It was indeed a Valentines release and available in the West.

If you know anywhere were you can currently pick this set up for £500 please let me know as I will buy in an instant.

The last sale I saw was for just the 6900 Mastermind and it was for a $1000.

Mitch
    was a few years ago and long gone.

Hostem in London is the official stockist so it might be worth asking them about future releases.

They arent cheap though.

Wow Mitch, another new series you are putting together. I hope you will get the Frog sooner than later

---

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information