"Matte" Black Gulfman
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: "Matte" Black Gulfman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Matte" Black Gulfman

Though I am pretty much done buying new watches, I will still pick up the occasional watch if I am really interested in wearing it. When I saw this Men in Mat Black (yes, Casio spells it that way, incorrectly) Gulfman, I knew I had to go for it. For one thing, the main problems of the watch (scratched crystal, old resin, dirt) were things I could repair. Also, I already happened to have a spare Men in Mat Black Gulfman bezel (both inner and outer) and a spare standard Gulfman band. I ordered the "real" Men in Mat Black band from PacParts, and I am still waiting for it, so for this restoration I used the normal Gulfman band, which I will replace with the MIMB band once it arrives (The MIMB band is expensive ($50) and is different in that it has a black plated buckle and slightly darker lettering). I am also going to order a spare caseback, but it too is an expensive part ($66) and the caseback on this watch is in pretty good shape with just some light marks.

I don't know what it is about this series... The Riseman was pretty common for years, but has become somewhat rare now. It seems they made more of the Riseman than the Mudman and Gulfman. The Mudman and Gulfman have always been hard to find, and I think Casio made much fewer of them.

To restore it, I:

--Removed and discarded worn out resin parts (nothing worth keeping)
    --Cleaned watch head thoroughly (soap and citric acid)
    --Polished crystal (took hours) (When done, the crystal is clearer than factory new. Enough massaging of the molecules creates a super slick and super clear surface that is well worth the effort)
    --Removed module and solar panel and cleaned both sides multiple times with glass cleaner and compressed air. (For some reason, Casio solar panels always have a slight haze on them. I think this haze develops over time, but it is present at the time of manufacture as well. It is possible off-gassing from some of the plastics used inside the module is to blame. To see this haze, you need to go in a dark area, hold the watch at an angle, and hit it with a super bright light source (like a flashlight with hundreds of lumens. Cleaning this haze out is tricky and introduces dust, but if you can do it, you end up with optimal clarity that is better than factory new). The effect is much more noticeable on neg displays like this one.

Before:

After:

Wrist:

Re: "Matte" Black Gulfman

You have given it a life again, really nice I'm not very familiar with this model or Gulfman in general, but it looks amazing, that red eye and spots inside look like revolver

This is the only version of the gulfman that i like and collect. Like always Kung awesome restoration.....I know..... i own a few of them

cheers
    Last edited by Vade_R; May 8th, 2014 at 04:54.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You have so much talent and a great eye for restoration. I wish we lived closer and you could teach me some of your skills! Way to go on a great and rare Gulfman!

Mine says hi:
    Attached Images Attached Images

nigelw, G-fob and kung-fusion like this.

Just stunning Kung!

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

^ wot he said. Really really good man. I bow.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

this beautiful one and riseman matte black are my grails -

Kung please clean out your inbox, can't send you pm

Quote Originally Posted by Vade_R View Post
    Kung please clean out your inbox, can't send you pm
    Done

That is impressive.

As someone else mentioned, the "revolver" Gulfmans are the only ones I like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information