This may be a stupid question but.........
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By zack20cb

Thread: This may be a stupid question but.........

This may be a stupid question but.........

I've got this old Casio Marlin W-22 which I don't often wear.
    Name:  SAM_1932.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  1.86 MB
    My son bought me a 5600c for my birthday a while ago which I did wear and obviously shouldn't have done because the bezel fell apart almost straight away.
    I felt like a complete arse as soon as I did a bit of research on the 5600 and found out about the plastic problem with the early Gs.
    I can't find much about the W-22 and am wondering if a similar fate is likely to befall if I wear it even occasionally.
    Does anybody have any wisdom they feel like sharing?

Re: This may be a stupid question but.........

Plastic will fall apart. Silicon based straps may last longer but after some time they going to deteriorate too.
    Funny thing car dashboards had this problem but it was resolved by mid 2000s completely and than it returned after 2008 crisis.
    Most of them still good for 6-9 years though.
    It should be special!

Quote Originally Posted by slopingsteve View Post
    I've got this old Casio Marlin W-22 which I don't often wear.
    Name:  SAM_1932.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  1.86 MB
    My son bought me a 5600c for my birthday a while ago which I did wear and obviously shouldn't have done because the bezel fell apart almost straight away.
    I felt like a complete arse as soon as I did a bit of research on the 5600 and found out about the plastic problem with the early Gs.
    I can't find much about the W-22 and am wondering if a similar fate is likely to befall if I wear it even occasionally.
    Does anybody have any wisdom they feel like sharing?
    Unless you had planned to keep your 5600c in a glass box and never wear it, you really didn’t make a mistake. That particular vintage of resin has a certain lifespan, and at this point they’re pretty much all crumbling.

The case of your W-22 is a hard resin rather than the soft, cushiony material used in the bezels of G-shocks, so it should last much longer. To maximize its life, keep it out of the sun when you’re not wearing it — UV is the main issue, I believe.

Incidentally, while Casio no longer supplies bezels for the 5600c, there are high-quality reproductions available from various sources. In the last few months, a few of us have obtained bezels from an eBay user “denguinho”, and we have been impressed with the quality. There is also a user here on the forum, electric0ant, who has made his own bezels, but he sold them all and hasn’t made more yet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: This may be a stupid question but.........

Thanks to you both. I replaced the bezel on the 5600 a while back with one that was recommended even though I had to adjust the inside profile with a stanley knife. I appreciate the advice for the W-22. Thanks again

Thread Information