Is it me, or is the pag40-3v compass internal bezel backwards?

Thread: Is it me, or is the pag40-3v compass internal bezel backwards?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it me, or is the pag40-3v compass internal bezel backwards?

O.K, it is early, so forgive me, but I just got this watch last night and I don't remember a compass having 0 degrees at north and going up in increments counterclockwise. I'm talking about the internal bezel here...

what's the deal...
    Last edited by campfirehero; September 19th, 2008 at 22:39.

Re: Is it me, or is the pag40-3v compass internal bezel backwards?

You must have bought the left-handed version.

Seriously I don't know why it's backwards. Mine is the same.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Lexxorcist View Post
    You must have bought the left-handed version.

Seriously I don't know why it's backwards. Mine is the same.
    You only live once.....and some don't even do that!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's what comes of Casio not using Focus Groups or trying out the watches with consumers first .... or anyone who knows how a compass works, comes to that ! ............. ................
    "The only exercise I take is walking behind the coffins of friends who took exercise." Peter O'Toole

It's so you can tell where you're wenting from as well as coming against

Rusty

I just recieved a reply from casio;

Thank you for contacting Casio America. This is an intentional design. The watch
    has a rotating bezel, so you could rotate the bezel until the N on the bezel
    lines up with the magnetic north pointer on the LCD screen. You would then read
    the degrees on the numeric markings in the inner ring (which does not rotate).
    If this is true, then why does every other pathfinder model have the correct internal bezel labeling, even with other rotating bezels??

Quote Originally Posted by campfirehero View Post
    I just recieved a reply from casio;

If this is true, then why does every other pathfinder model have the correct internal bezel labeling, even with other rotating bezels??
    It sounds like they think you're just asking why they have markings going anti-clockwise, and not why they're anti-clockwise when they're usually clockwise. Either that or they're fielding the question.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

as far as i can see, if you don't rotate the bezel, keep it alligned with 12'o clock, then the magnetic pointer should show you exactly what your bearing is. actually, rotation of the bezel has no effect on the reading of the bearing. so you can get your bearing in one glance without fiddling with the bezel. as with the provided picture your bearing is approximately 330° or NNW as shown on the display. this is when the inside degree's come in play.

but if you ever have used a directional compass, u'll know that to get to a certain point you first align the marker ( 12'o clock for the watch) to the required direction on the map and rotate the bezel until north on bezel aligns with north on map. then you go out an match the needle(magnetic pointer for the watch) with the rotated north and you got your direction.

on a directional compass if you rotate the bezel clockwise, the numbers also move clockwise but they decrease anticlockwise with reference to the marker. as in the watch, they've fixed the numbers and they don't move with the bezel. so when you rotate the bezel clockwise and align the needle with the north on bezel, the needle is actually showing you the anticlockwise decreased reading, which was supposed to be read from the marker. so insted of reading the bearing from the marker, you're actually reading it form the needle.

the casio guy probably confused you (and even me) with his simple answer. but i'm not sure whether i've confused you even more.

Last edited by psychofart; September 20th, 2008 at 15:50.

GW2000B-1A
    GW-9200 'Dragon' Riseman
    DW-5600E-1V
    AWG 101-1A
    Seiko SNZG13K1

It still doesn't seem to explain why the markings go clockwise on other Protreks/Pathfinders. They certainly go clockwise (and don't move) on the PRG-80. Are there any other compass watches where they're marked anti clockwise? Does anyone who uses them prefer them that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Lexxorcist View Post
    It still doesn't seem to explain why the markings go clockwise on other Protreks/Pathfinders. They certainly go clockwise (and don't move) on the PRG-80. Are there any other compass watches where they're marked anti clockwise? Does anyone who uses them prefer them that way?
    thats what i also thought, 'cause all my directional compasses and all i've ever seen follow your comments.

but after thinking about the design of this watch, i really liked the idea of reading the bearing directly from the needle without rotaing the bezel and matching north with needle to calculate the bearing.

as per the casio guy, maybe it's a new international standard. while the other protecks/pathfinders are maybe using the traditional markings.

GW2000B-1A
    GW-9200 'Dragon' Riseman
    DW-5600E-1V
    AWG 101-1A
    Seiko SNZG13K1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information